StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's that time. Snow in the forecast, roads covered in wet leaves and deer. The temps are shitty and shittier. Took a good ride to some hunt camps then a nice slow ride home. I store my bikes indoors. I mean, we watch TV together! Bandit rides in and backs into place like it needs the rest. The DL1000 though, wants to see who's boss. WHAT A PIG..... First the bark busters had to come off then the clutch and brake levers needed moving to squeeeeeze it in the doors. Had to go in the other way around so I can get at the clutch cover to remove that POS basket. That meant turning it around in my living room. Thankfully the wife wasn't home. She would have been thoroughly impressed. That's it we're movin'. When you can't fit your bike though your door and park it near the couch then something is wrong. The house needs to go where bikes never get put away. Season ending rant ...... over. Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
My buddy has left his 650 parked outside since he bought it 5 years ago. He tried a folding cover but that failed when it snowed, twice, then he just put a regular cover over it and forgot about it until someone tried to steal it one day, punched out the ignition, there was no battery in it anyways.

I'm afraid to go over to his house now to see it, all rusting and unloved. He doesn't even bother to try to sell it, keeps saying he is going to fix the ignition, but never does.

I told him to put it in his living room after he bought it, it would have been pretty cool sitting in there, all dry and clean and waxed. Nope.

Now its halfway through November, so another 4 months and I can start looking at insurance for mine, sitting in a heated garage, all clean and waxed and ready for another season when things warm up and the rain/snow stops.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
I knew a guy with a baloney slicer Guzzi in the dining room and the oldest BMW engined Victoria in the US on his fireplace hearth.
Nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with the art you love.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i feel for you guys at this time of year. i really do. but then again, i miss winter every so often...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here's what your missing. Aching back from shoveling, Heating bill that would choke a horse, Cold wet EVERYTHING, Salt and sand eating your car and cutting it's life in half, Staring at a bike you can't ride while the insurance company charges you for it. ([email protected]#k) I hate insurance companies. Legalized extortion. But I digress. Anyway, it's easy to miss winter till your standing in a snowbank calling the plow operator the asshole that he is! Want some winter? Open your freezer and stand there. Then get some ice and mix a drink and walk outside and shake that idea right out of your head. In the word of Monty Python "You lucky lucky bastard"

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Well it's that time. Snow in the forecast, roads covered in wet leaves and deer. The temps are shitty and shittier. Took a good ride to some hunt camps then a nice slow ride home. I store my bikes indoors. I mean, we watch TV together! Bandit rides in and backs into place like it needs the rest. The DL1000 though, wants to see who's boss. WHAT A PIG..... First the bark busters had to come off then the clutch and brake levers needed moving to squeeeeeze it in the doors. Had to go in the other way around so I can get at the clutch cover to remove that POS basket. That meant turning it around in my living room. Thankfully the wife wasn't home. She would have been thoroughly impressed. That's it we're movin'. When you can't fit your bike though your door and park it near the couch then something is wrong. The house needs to go where bikes never get put away. Season ending rant ...... over. Cheers
I would like to see a picture of that. I haven't shared a room with a motorcycle in 34 years.
And the riding is close to over here too. Fewer miles on the odometer-Bonus! (think positive)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well here's what your missing. Aching back from shoveling, Heating bill that would choke a horse, Cold wet EVERYTHING, Salt and sand eating your car and cutting it's life in half, Staring at a bike you can't ride while the insurance company charges you for it. ([email protected]#k) I hate insurance companies. Legalized extortion. But I digress. Anyway, it's easy to miss winter till your standing in a snowbank calling the plow operator the asshole that he is! Want some winter? Open your freezer and stand there. Then get some ice and mix a drink and walk outside and shake that idea right out of your head. In the word of Monty Python "You lucky lucky bastard"
Gotta admit, that uneasy feeling and slowly approaching winter depression is a b***h. No matter how majestic it might sound, Canadian winters are nothing but pure violence :wink2:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll post a pic then. Just waiting for an extra set of hands to get it up on the center stand. Cramped quarters and a board under the feet of the stand are making it a bitch to to hoist up. I use my front room for guitar and instrument repair so in the fall the bikes and guitars share the space. My happy place. Every time I try to load a pic it says it's to big.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't given up yet. Bought some insulated overalls and new down filled vest.... I should be good for a few more weeks.
I just opened a new thread...not realizing this one was started. Duh!
Mom says the bike stays in the garage....good thing it's heated !

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Opposite problem

Opposite problem coming up here in South Australia it will be 40c plus during the day soon. Those sort of temperatures makes it a challenge riding, dangerous dehydration can happen very quickly, you have to drink a litre of water every hour. Parking your bike in the sun lets your seat get so hot you can't sit on it. Best time of year for an ice cold beer after the ride through. Keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't given up yet. Bought some insulated overalls and new down filled vest.... I should be good for a few more weeks.
I just opened a new thread...not realizing this one was started. Duh!
Mom says the bike stays in the garage....good thing it's heated !
The temps aren't the issue. As I drove through town the other day I was weaving through frozen puddles. The pine needles and leaves are like an oil slick once they are wet. Gravel absorbs the rain and freezes, then it looks like gravel but the flat smooths are brown ice. I drove a 1967 Bonneville 365 a year for years but eventually you get caught out in a hairy scary and rethink your mortality. Stay safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts