StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expletive, expletive...took a spill while standing still. In my kids' driveway I put down the kickstand and failed to consider the slight downward slope on the left hand side of the bike. The stand was useless, allowing the bike to go down smack dab on top of my left big toe. Probably broken but I won't go to doc unless problems arise.

Ugh clutch lever is effed up, but then only a small scrape through the paint on the most protruding edge of the tank. I didn't examine it much further. My son in law and neighbor righted the bike while I bitched and moaned, lying in the driveway. On the sofa now relaxing with a small ice pack.

Of course Mrs sinsd insists the bike must go, despite the fact that this is only spill number two of my 19 yr riding "career". I HAVE been considering swapping for something lighter like a cb500. Dunno how how this will be resolved with her. More ugh.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh man. Sorry to hear it...I did the exact same thing minus the landing on my toe. Have replaced the bits and fixed the scratches.
Hope the Mrs. gets past her concerns and you can keep riding.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hopefully your wife will change her mind. If not, I have a suggestion. Next time you're in the middle of your "honey do's" inadvertently drop something on your other foot or create some other mishap. Her philosophy should prevent you having to perform said task in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Oh man is that embarrassing. Glad you and the bike only have minor damage. I dropped mine the only time (so far) in my driveway. My first reaction was to look around to see if any of my neighbors saw me. Luckily no one was home so my "expert" image wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Glad you're OK (more or less)

I had my first drop (on this bike) on day 2 when my wife was mounting the bike in our driveway. We picked it up and went for her first ride.
Sorry, :(

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front left turn signal was loose but I snapped it back into place. Seems as firm as the right side. Light abrasion along outer edge of leftside mirror. That's about it. Haven't tested whether twisted clutch lever affects operation.sure would prefer to ride it home this afternoon. Shoe and sock on. Foot feels somewhat swollen and toe is throbbing a bit, but I'll live.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ego injuries are very painful but its up to the injured to decide how long that pain lasts.

Big toes can occupy a lot of our brains pain capacity too. We can only wait out the passing of the throbbing toe though.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
which i did. home now but foot hurts. recommend a "best" site for ordering a clutch lever.
eBay has some purrty aftermarket sets.

Or compare prices and shipping with Oneida Suzuki, Ron Ayers, MR Cycles, etc.

Hope your foot and toe get better.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did the same trick last year while touring the Smokies. Put the kickstand down at a gas station to check my maps and the sucker rolled forward and off the stand. Nobody around to witness or help. When I told my Wife of this adventure she wanted to know how I got it(the bike) back up. I informed her that she was married to Superman. Oh, did I mention this happened with my 805 pound Honda F6B?:serious:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Of course Mrs sinsd insists the bike must go, despite the fact that this is only spill number two of my 19 yr riding "career". I HAVE been considering swapping for something lighter like a cb500. Dunno how how this will be resolved with her. More ugh.
I drop my bikes a couple of times a year just to make sure that the gravity thing is working properly. Sidestand failure is an easy one to do.

IIRC we've seen pictures of Mrs SinSD in moto garb from earlier years....maybe this is a psychological ploy of some sort? Yeah, that's it! She probably wants you to get a newer, non-scratched bike!

Will the old "buy her some flowers and tell her how lucky you are that she's concerned about you" gambit work???

good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry about your fall. I did this with my 2015 within a month of having it. My mistake was I thought the stand was down, it was not. That is an awful feeling when you are going down. Your mind is like "whhhhaaattttt happpppeeeennnned???" in slow motion.

My bike landed on me but I didn't get hurt. Mine happened to me in front of a business. I think I was superman there for about 10 seconds lifting that bike up from embarrassment. I damaged my clutch lever. I bought it from the dealer because I wanted to stay stock and I wanted it fast. Cost in me like $25.Turn signal just popped right back in and I had a little spec on my left fairing.

oh and I really learned a lesson to making sure my stand was down right. I also bought a plate for the bottom of the side stand.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
tolerance of some cheap aftermarket levers is pretty sloppy, I have never been happy with anything except oem or expensive aftermarket bits

·
Registered
570 Posts
You are not a real biker until you have dropped any bike you own, even someone else's.
Only two classes of riders. Those who've dropped their bikes and those who will drop them.
Do you have "crash bars", and hand guards ? These help with lay downs, less damage to important parts.
Bad luck with your foot, hope all heals well.
My bike did a recent lay down, same situation with side stand. Just picked it up acted like it was no big deal then got on and rode it.
Have a cycling friend who has the reputation for falling off his bike on every ride, never lets us down. Its now part of the trip.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
most of us have dropped a bike sometime or another pushing it around the driveway or doing a low speed turn in a parking lot. Once I swung a leg on my DR 650 to ride unto a ferry and my pants got caught on the peg and down we both went. It was pretty entertaining I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts