Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a 7 day trip with my wife last week from our home to see the Glass Beach in Northern Ca. We left early (5am) to beat the heat. Rode through Big Bear Ca to San Bernardino to Malibu (PCH) to Ventura. Day two was the 101 to CA1 through Lompoc and up to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle and spend the night in Paso Robles. On day three, since the PCH is closed above there to Big Sur we took county roads G14 and G16 through the back country to Monterey to rejoin CA1. Up over the Golden Gate Bridge and spent the night in Mill Valley Ca. Day four it was the Panoramic Highway down to the Pacific Coast Highway and a side trip to Point Reyes Lighthouse then north on to Fort Bragg for the night. Day five we saw the Glass Beach first thing then took CA20 across California to I-80 stopping at the Donner Memorial Park and then down CA89 to South Lake Tahoe for the night. Day six started at 36 degrees with frost on the bikes and out to US 95 south in Nevada down to Beatty. It was 101 degrees when we quit for the day. Day seven was a short early run into Las Vegas to beat the heat. 1900 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I coulda done that in two days, but I wouldn't have seen all the sights like you did!
Glass beach looks neat. Very nice set of pics!
Interesting you started through Big Bear. Too bad the Crest isn't open. The first part would have been a bit more pleasant. Never a thrill to Freeway though the LA area.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
There is, or was. a sink hole on the East end of it.
Nah, just checked Cal Trans site, it's still closed. Wrightwood forum mentioned someone was filling suit to protect the Big Horned Sheep from the construction crews.
It's always something.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Wrightwood forum mentioned someone was filling suit to protect the Big Horned Sheep from the construction crews.

Wth.....are the construction guys sheep hunting on their lunch breaks? These environmentalists need to start fighting a different battle. Perhaps they could fight the destruction of our desert wildlife by the solar fields. Maybe they could get a jump on the future environmental catastrophe about to incur from the hundreds of millions of batteries they want to use to replace fossil fuels....

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
I do like Fort Bragg. I stay at Mackerricher State Park. From there I usually head north and spend a couple days on the Lost Coast. For a change of sleeping in my tent I have stayed at the Scotia Inn in Scotia Ca, an old lumber company town. A big change in temps from the coast to the desert. What lighthouse is that in the photo?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I do like Fort Bragg. I stay at Mackerricher State Park. From there I usually head north and spend a couple days on the Lost Coast. For a change of sleeping in my tent I have stayed at the Scotia Inn in Scotia Ca, an old lumber company town. A big change in temps form the coast to the desert. What lighthouse is that in the photo?
Point Reyes https://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/lighthouse.htm. I do want to get farther north but CA20 was a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I coulda done that in two days, but I wouldn't have seen all the sights like you did!
Glass beach looks neat. Very nice set of pics!
Interesting you started through Big Bear. Too bad the Crest isn't open. The first part would have been a bit more pleasant. Never a thrill to Freeway though the LA area.
Quickest way to get out of the heat from Vegas was to head south from Barstow and into the mountains. Yes, the 210 to 134 to the 101 was slow in spots. I agree if you are riding alone more miles can be covered, but it was my wife's long ride before she goes back to school in 21 days.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I'da thunk if you wanna go South like that, from Victorville the 18/138 to the 14 to the 126. It takes you out to Ventura and avoids the LA crapola.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Good pictures, great area to ride in looks like you had fun...:smile2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts