StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

I'm planning a one-week vacation in las vegas next fall. We're thinking about last week of septembre, first week of october or so. My Girlfriend and I want to celebrate 10 years of relationship, and 1 years of "parentship"

I'd like to rent a bike for one day and ride around Vegas. I'd like to cross the Hoover Dam, but really, I have little idea what's interesting to ride in this area.
While I ride a Vee, I'm thinking about renting someting more appropriate for 2 passenger. FJR, ST, GTR, etc

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I would suggest going to Eagle Riders. They have ST 1300s. Very nice folks they will even shuttle you from your hotel. Last trip there, I rented one of those crazy Piaggio 3 wheelers, went up to Valley of Fire, Hoover Dam and then north to Mt Charleston. That's a pretty long day but I was alone and had a blast. You and your beloved may not want to cover 300 miles in a day. Hoover Dam used to be a huge traffic jam but they have the new bridge in now so that's quite calm even with the Po Po and such.

Photos:

Piaggio pictures by RodKu - Photobucket

Rod

·
Registered
269 Posts
One of my favorite most of the day rides in the Las Vegas area is Valley of Fire then south along lake mead to hoover dam, and back through boulder city with a stop at the boulder dam brewing company. The reason to start at Valley of fire is you only have to pay once. It's the perfect two up most of the day excursion. I'm sure Vegashotwheeler will pipe in here just keep in mind for him a short day is 500 miles and starts at 6am, a long day starts at 0430 and is 700 miles...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Subscribed, Thanks for this thread. I am doing Vegas this October and am looking to do the same sort of trip. Looking forward to the answers. And congrats on the milestones, félicitations!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes you can still go across the dam but it dead ends. It doesn't go back up to the hiway like it used to. Park your bike in the parking lot before the bridge and walk up to the new bridge to look down on the dam. It is well worth the effort. You cannot see the dam from the hiway portion of the bridge. They put up a 5 foot wall to seperate the pedestrians from the traffic and to keep the cagers from gawking over the side and causing an accident.(The view is really that good.). If you are going to do the tour of the dam don't park in the covered parking at the entrance, they charge $7.00(no discount for bikes) to park there. Go past the dam and park in the open parking and walk back. The view is better that way anyway.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Medplt has a great ride there, there is also Death Valley and if you wanted to buzz North Zion all doable in a a day.
I would look at what our temps are at the time and decide what way to go.
North is a little cooler, if windy its always worse in the Colorado River corridor and if HOT stay away from Death Valley.
Keep us posted and you might get some tour guides if you wanted.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts