StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the laminar lip on my bike. I was getting lots of air on my chest and helmet. I could tell a lot of difference in the amount of wind in the chest area. I still had some wind in my face but if I bend down just a little there is almost no wind at all. I am 6'2" and I have the stock wind shield. I recommend the lip. I may try the ears and see what they can do. Larry Heil

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Larry, could you give me an idea how much was it and where did you get the Laminar Lip? I have an idea on how to improve my screen, but I am thinking about trying the Laminar Lip.
Brendan

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brendan, I think it cost me around $84 total. that includes shipping. I ordered from the web site which is: www.laminarlip.com Just look on the application guide and you won't have any trouble. Larry

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I have the Laminar Lip on a tall factory windshield. Much improved at all speeds. Just returned from a 6 day trip around Lake Michigan. 1840 miles. If anyone goes to the U.P. check out Highway 41 & 26 in the far northwest of the state. No disappointments! Later.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered this last night. After much research of windscreens and reading reviews, I thought I would try it. When I bought my V-Strom, it had the tall windscreen on it and I took it off as soon as I got home. I rode around with no windscreen for a few days until I could get back to the bike shop to pick up the stock windscreen that came with the bike. I thought the bike was more comfortable with no windscreen versus the tall Suzuki windscreen. The tall windscreen would vigorously shake my head at speeds over 60mph. I looked into the Cee Bailey windscreens, but found there were still buffeting issues with there 22" screen, and I don't think I like the look of the 24" - 28" screens.

Has anyone tried the lip on both the stock windscreen and the tall Suzuki windscreen? I'm not sure which I should install it on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Laminar Lip

I put a Lip on my stock screen last summer, then they sent me a new and improved versionshortly thereafter. I am mostly happy with the setup. I still get some buffeting at speed, but can usually duck under it and stay comfortable. I haven't tried a taller screen or tried running with a lower screen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:?: Has anyone tried running without the stock mirrors it seems that if all windshields are causing trouble why not try something else

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got the lip and ears and I like it. The only time I want to hide lower
is went I'm facing the wind.

St Germain

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stock windshield

I have put 3000 or so miles on my v strom since buying it at the end of May. I am 5foot6 1/2 or so, a little short but manage to do well with the strom. I really like the stock windshield. In the rain it can get a little wild, but I can easily tuck under it and get out of the wind, when it is hot, it is better than any air conditioner, the wind hits me about chest level, so it really does cool me off. I reallly appreciate that because I wear full leathers and a helmet every time I ride. When it is hot outside, you bake in full leathers. I really like the strom, an excellent bike, willing and ready to please. I have thought about the laminar lip, but I like it so much the way that it is, that I am afraid of messing it up. Just my :D thoughts.
tina

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, you're so right! If you like it the way it is, don't mess with it and
save you're money...

St Germain

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Laminar Lip and EARs

I put the Lip and EARs on my tall Suzuki windshield. Wow! I'm just a hair under 6' tall and it made a world of difference with regard to buffeting and turbulence around my helmet. Easily one of the most cost-effective comfort items I put on the bike. The others were the custom leather saddle (expensive) and the installation of HotGrips.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CeeBailey's Std Flip

About a month ago I changed the stock 2002 V-Strom screen for CeeBailey's original 22" vent flipscreen and it works just great on the windy/winding roads in the north of Scotland. I'm 6'4", rarely have to close my visor now, and have only limited buffeting at the side/top of my helmet. I have a 40-mi commute everyday.

If there was any less wind I would probably take the Audi to work :?, as it wouldn't feel like I was on a motorcycle at all. The V-Strom is already smoother in OD at 80mph on the morning run to Aberdeen, and a whole lot more fun. It ain't the 401 north of Toronto where I grew up, but then Ontario doesn't have roundabouts!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the Cee Bailey original 22 inch vent screen. Wind noise was reduced but buffeting was much worse. I'm 6ft tall. Very poor product in my opinion. Sent it back to them. Installed Laminar Lip on the stock windshield. Big improvement in wind noise and buffeting. Got some extra dual lock velcro at Radio Shack so that I can move the Lip up and down on stock windscreen. For me, about 4 inches above the stock screen was best. Excellent product.

·
Registered
288 Posts
lamilar lip

I've got the Givi windscreen with the lamilar lip and ears. I find this combination to be just fine. My other bike (for long distance iron butt stuff) is a GL1800. I think the wind is about the same on both bikes, maybe a bit more with the strom but accesptable to me. JDP

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Laminar Lip

I had the Lip on a stck windshield and it helped alot. I just switched to a Cee Bailey +10 windscreen, what a difference! I am 5'10" and it allows me to see over the top of the screen yet I have a nice pocket of still air around me. I would bypass the LIp and go ahead and buy the CeeBailey, it is well worth it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah but the big Cee Bailey looks like a huge barn door. It's freakin' huge man! The Strom is a odd enough looking without having that thing on it. This is just my opinion though.

I have the Zero Gravity Double Bubble and love it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Meatsac,

Howm tall are you and what's your inseam (if ya don't mind me asking)?
Is the Zero Gravity Double Bubble taller or wider than the stock shield? If so by how much?

Thanks,

-cos
MI

·
Registered
167 Posts
Meatsac said:
I have the Zero Gravity Double Bubble and love it.
I tired the ZG DB and hated it. I sent it back yesterday. FYI, I am 6'0" with a 31.5" inseam. Right now I am trying the Windstorm shield by REV-International. So far so good.

Steve

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ears?

Who makes the "ears" I keep reading about? Any pics or prices?

Thanks,

-cos
MI

1 - 19 of 19 Posts