StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use the Laminar Lip on there strom ??.I'm thinking about trying one but I wondered if they work ??

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I know two people who tried them, with mixed results. I'm still sold on a proper height-adjusted shield and getting the OEM mirrors off the bike to really improve the buffeting/turbulence. Helmet design matters a lot there, too, IMHO.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have one one on my wee. After adjusting it all different ways, I find it hard to tell a big difference. Testing the different adjustments does keeps me busy though, which is good. Otherwise I'd be buying more farkles.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i have a MRA Vario windshield:

if this is the lip you are talking about, properly adjusting mine made a big difference, but it's a very subtle process of both angle and heigth to get good results, imho.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i have a MRA Vario windshield:

if this is the lip you are talking about, properly adjusting mine made a big difference, but it's a very subtle process of both angle and heigth to get good results, imho.

Sure, but your cheating with that madstad bracket. Mucho Vario.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm using an MRA Vario windshield with its laminar lip without madstad bracket and - per swingset's observation above - coupled with a set of Richland Ricks mirror extenders to move the airflow from the mirrors outboard and away from the riding position a bit, am completely happy with the results. The only time I think about buffeting anymore is when I read about it here (or ride by one of those Great American Buffet all-you-can-eats)....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You have probably never seen one used like this and probably never will, but to answer your question, it works.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sure, but your cheating with that madstad bracket. Mucho Vario.
no, thats not actually my bike. i have the stock mount, up one set of screw holes. works fine for me. When i get my mirror extenders, i suspect it'll be perfect.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Does anybody use the Laminar Lip on there strom ?? I'm thinking about trying one but I wondered if they work ??

I'ver heard lots of opinions on this site. I started riding my new wee in June, and the buffeting and wind noise were bad. fyi, this was with stock seat and windshield. I am 6' 3" with a long torso, so my HJC's up there. I bought the touring version of the laminar screen (which was recommended to me by the person on the phone at Laminar, because of my height).

The addition of the touring laminar lip (with about half of it sticking above the standard windscreen) helped very much. The Suzuki screen is at the top position, and I easily see over the works. With strong side winds I get hit with a blast now and then, or even more continuously under some conditions when the wind plays a bit heavily on the top of my helmet. It's not perfect, but I'm pleased as a not-too-expensive fix.

I've seen nothing resembling a consensus in any of the posts I've read, btw, so only speaking for myself here.

I'll be buying a (much) taller seat at some point, so I'll need a taller windscreen then. I'll likely get the California Scientific one. Honest Bob here has showed me what to try with the laminar lip when I do.

When I was talking to the man at Laminar, I asked if the touring screen wasn't uglier then the standard laminar lip. He says "Hey, you're riding a V-strom!".

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Happy with the Laminar Touring Lip on an 06 Vee. I go 6'1'' and have a sargent saddle. Have tried Givi and Windstrom, this works better for me. Haven't tried the madstad. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thanks for the koodo Sitting Duck. It occurred to me that the shield on the stroms was mounted too far forward. It leaves you riding in the dirty air instead of the draft. I just built a new mount to move it back about 6", and there is no buffetting. In all honesty, the Lip is just along for the ride. It covers up the mounting point on the fairing. It came with the bike, so I took it off the shield and velcroed it to the fairing.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Touring Laminar Lip and Madstad have been the perfect combination for me for the last 36K miles. I look over the lip (never through it) and it throws all the wind over my head. Priceless...

·
Registered
85 Posts
laminar lip

I'm 6'-2" I use the stock shield at the highest setting with the touring lip. I can see over the lip and am very satisfied. Have done 16000 miles with this configuration and l wouldn't change anything.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Yeah, honest bob; I'll try fabricating something to move my windshield back.
I currently have my windshield raised to the th (secret) position, but still get turbulence. When leaning forward, there is none though.

This means that the turbulence is centered on the rider when it shoudl be behind the rider.

There are two ways of solving the problem: move the windshield back (bravo to you), or change the shape and angle.

·
Administrator
16,982 Posts
Could remove it all together....my DR650 has no shield and the wind is smooth and quiet. I dont even need to wear earplugs, my helmet is scary quiet.....and yes I am talking about speeds in excess of 60 mph.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Yeah, honest bob; I'll try fabricating something to move my windshield back.
I currently have my windshield raised to the th (secret) position, but still get turbulence. When leaning forward, there is none though.

This means that the turbulence is centered on the rider when it shoudl be behind the rider.

There are two ways of solving the problem: move the windshield back (bravo to you), or change the shape and angle.
Here is a link to the post where I have pictures of the bracket showing it all disassembled and how it mounts on the bike. pages 23 & 24 thread #s 226, 230 & 233 http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/40635-buffeting-wind-thread-only-one-23.html Let me know if you have questions.:fineprint:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts