StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for my first Wee. I have see several around $6k, and a good one at $4500 that I'm probably going to miss out on (can't get there in time, dang it). But there's another one for $3650 that is a K5 with 1300 miles on it. The owner says it has been laid down and repaired. I'm asking a lot more questions before I drive 450 miles for it, but the picture at least looks good.

I have a great list from advrider.com on things to look at when buying a used bike, but my question for the company of experts here is should I be worried? From the picture it looks like the fairing was repaired/replaced just because the stickers are missing (they're still on the back). What kind of damage would you expect and how bad could it be?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
My first V-Strom was dropped on one side by the BPO. Then I got hit from the side by a car on the highway going about 40mph. The bike slid on the engine guard and passenger peg. Rode it home. Replaced the turn signal, side fairing, and passenger peg and rode it another two seasons without the slightest problem.

If it hit anything that's usually when stuff gets balled up. So get more details, and get the bike checked out by an expert if it hit anything. But it could be a worthwhile purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Early in its life with me, my strom took a nap in my driveway after the center stand dug into the asphalt.
It scraped up that side of the fairing and broke the handguard.
There was no other damage but I had it repainted.
If there is no other indication of repair, that could be all it was.
I now have HB guards in place.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
But there's another one for $3650 that is a K5 with 1300 miles on it. The owner says it has been laid down and repaired.
I'd be wary of a 5 year old bike with only 1300 miles. Sitting around for years is not good for any vehicle, and does not suggest that it was properly cared for. I would certainly insist on a professional inspection.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I purchase used bikes, I assume its been laid down. Things get bend/scratched and replaced. Most of the time you will never know...sometimes you will when you remove plastic.

I laid my bike down last year on the left. Items that saw damage were front fender, left fairing, mirror, bar ends, luggage rack, side panel, front and rear turn signals, and passenger pegs. Only thing I replaced were the signals. My bars twisted in the triple trees, which required loosening the upper clamps and pinch bolt to twist back.

IMO an owner who pony's up that info is confident in the repair, and the bike. And it sounds like he's discounting the price for it. I'd jump on it. I'm a good mechanic and will fix just about anything on a bike, and not worry about it failing, so I shop the deal. I'd even buy a salvage bike if I felt the price was discounted enough.

If worrying about your bike being on the ground is an issue, I'd buy new. If the "deal" is more important, buy used.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Since the level of repair isn't described, a big question is whether or not the damage was severe enough for the previous insurance company to claim the bike as "totalled" (even though it was repairable) and then the bike ends up with what is called a "salvage title", which can make it difficult or impossible to register or insure. Be sure to check it out for a normal vs. salvage title.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was hit by a car and went down a year ago next week. Replaced the left fairing, mirror, bar end, turn signal, shift lever and radiator. She's been going strong ever since.

But every drop is different so check it out carefully and good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good advice. The bike sold before I could get down there, but this is a question I've needed answering anyways. I've added some things to my list of questions so this has been very beneficial. My plan is to be patient and nab the right one when I have the best opportunity to get it. There are several in the northwest here that are strong possibilities. Winter will set in before I can ride much, but I guarantee I'll be on the road come spring! :cool:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine has been laid down 10 or so times and is still going strong so far. But things to look out for are bent wheels, bent rear subframe, tweaked fairing support, and any strange noises that don't sound normal to any other Strom.

But the wheels aren't very strong if they impact something laterally such as hitting the ground when the bike is falling over. The front is way more at risk than the rear for this happening.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd be wary of a 5 year old bike with only 1300 miles. Sitting around for years is not good for any vehicle, and does not suggest that it was properly cared for. I would certainly insist on a professional inspection.
I agree, if I were you I would keep searching.
Old gas can really bung up fuel injection, gas tank and such.
If the oil has been sitting in the bike for five years I would also be concered as well as old brake fluid (maybe coroded brake components) and coolant.
Could be more of a pain than it is worth.
You will also need two new tires as the ones on it are past their shelf life regardless of the tread remaining.
Not such a good deal after all.
Good luck with your search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts