StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am going to fit a KTM 950 white power front end to my vstrom 1000.

I will take some photos along the way, and let you know the outcome...
At this stage I expect to change the bike considerably, the bikes geometry will be altered as the front will be higher, additional geometry changes will come from the different triple clamp offset, the wheel will be 21" so that will be different, the fork travel will be increased, the fork rigidity will be increased and the fork dampening will be different[I hope superior], the brakes will be the Brembo 2 spotters[as opposed to the Triumph 4 spotters I have fitted currently] ohh- and the front guard will be orange??.

At this stage the KTM steering stem runs 29mm bearing id [the suzuki is 30mm]. The Vstrom has 55 mm od. A suitable bearing is unlikely to be found, so I will look at modifying the KTM stem or, fitting a V strom stem, or making a whole new stem.
Alternatively I could make an adapter/sleeve to fit the KTM bearigs into the vstrom [vstrom =55mm od KTM =50.292mm] with a wall thickness of 2.354mm!

Does anyone have a dl 1000 lower triple pressed apart so I can assess the potential of using one of these in the KTM triple lower??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks like you have an interesting project on your hands, i can't help you with info, but i'll keep an eye on your thread and see how your project develops. :yesnod:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you looked into going to a bearing retail sales agent ,wee have one in canada called canadian bearing... bring them the inside/outside sizes and they may be able to set you up.... just athought .. :thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent the day working on this conversion and I think I can say it is moving forward. It moved sideways and then backwards for a while but now ...with some luck I can move forward

I purchased KTM bearings and expected to make bushes and perhaps spacers and all would be working.
But I was wrong.
So after wasting half the day on the lathe[I am bad at this skill and very slow] I elected to give up.
But I was not happy with that either.
So I pressed the vstrom lower triple apart and it is 0.2mm larger in the ID the the KTM . The KTM is thicker as well- so here is the first machining I need to outsource. The KTM lower triple [milled]bored out 0.2mm to take the Vstrom stem, and the stem needs to be recessed into the lower as well.

So that leaves the upper KTM triple needing adapting... I figure it can simply have a bush [shouldered] to insert and be subsequenty clamped by the errr...clamp.you cant see in the photo but the top triple has a split where it clamps onto the stem whereas the v just has a parallel close fit aperture.
The shoulder thickness will make the two triples the same thickness so preserving the assemby.

I have also noticed the KTM has alot more offset than the vstrom so I am becoming worried that I may upset the bikes geometry way too much. Time will tell

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers

Thanks Muddy, all under control at the moment. I will show you when finished-and you can have a ride if you like..
Cheers
Scott
good to see your making Progress Scott, if you need any m/cing done you know how to contact me

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vintage scoot is a ty 250 Yamaha

Good guess but no cigar. The bike is a ty 250A I am restoring-I have ossa SDR as well[I note in your profile your predisposition for aging equipment!]

So what's the vintage scoot on the red stand? I'll guess...'73 Yamaha SC500? MX250?

·
Registered
57 Posts
USD front end.

I have done something kinda along these lines.

I got a YZ 250 front end. found that the steerer stem is the same id as the dl one so pressed it out and swapped it over, easy done. What wasn't so easy was shortening the forks. Took a while but we got them down to 9 inches of travel which ends up a couple more than the DL.

If you leave the forks the same length as normal I think your going to have a sky high front end. I don't know exact length but I have shortened mine a way just to get a similar front length. Also I have a shock coming that will raise the back by a couple of inches and give more travel (bout 8 inches), so the front and rear should match up well.

The actual overall wheelbase has actually ended up shorter, even with the different fork offset etc.

With the cost of forks from the US right now its not a huge (thats a relative term) outlay.

Oh, I am also using a motomaster conversion that seems relatively common of ktm adv's (once again relatively) so I haven't run into the single/dual disc problem.

Any more info can be provided if needed. I'll interested in how you go and other probs you find if there are any.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next stage

I spent another few hours on the project over the weekend. The machining came back and hey presto the triple clamps now fit.The forks are installed and front wheel in place.

The steering[ lock to lock] looks like it may be a little reduced, perhaps no big issue....A ride will tell.
The Suzuki ignition switch actually fits the KTM one perfect and is a bolt up assembly. Hurrah something goes easy.

The vendor of the KTM front end seems to have left the front wheel spacers somewhere else, so I have ordered a new pair, and in a couple of days [when they arrive] the vstrom will be ridden[probably on the weekend]

I will need to re route the cables/wires and such to accommodate the changes. I will remove the tank to make this easier so I will do the airfilter and other fettling while I am there.

In addition the steering stops from the KTM dont hit the Suzuki frame[stops]. So after a proving ride I will put more effort into the finishing touches.

I will post photos ASAP

I have done something kinda along these lines.

I got a YZ 250 front end. found that the steerer stem is the same id as the dl one so pressed it out and swapped it over, easy done. What wasn't so easy was shortening the forks. Took a while but we got them down to 9 inches of travel which ends up a couple more than the DL.

If you leave the forks the same length as normal I think your going to have a sky high front end. I don't know exact length but I have shortened mine a way just to get a similar front length. Also I have a shock coming that will raise the back by a couple of inches and give more travel (bout 8 inches), so the front and rear should match up well.

The actual overall wheelbase has actually ended up shorter, even with the different fork offset etc.

With the cost of forks from the US right now its not a huge (thats a relative term) outlay.

Oh, I am also using a motomaster conversion that seems relatively common of ktm adv's (once again relatively) so I haven't run into the single/dual disc problem.

Any more info can be provided if needed. I'll interested in how you go and other probs you find if there are any.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks cool. :hurray:

Sounds like the KTM would maybe have been a easier direction.

Is this pic with the forks under full compression or is this the way its sits with the fork tops level with the triples or are the forks pushed through the triples?

More pics please !!!!!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
You certainly have persisted with this mod and at reasonable expense,the pics indicate you have changed the geometry of the bike overall,I hope it delivers all of your expectations,thanks for sharing the project and look forward to shakedown reports.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Bike is sitting natural leaning against wall. I think the photo is poor and perhaps gives false perspective. But At this stage thats it....the forks are up in the triple only 8mm or so.

I will post more pictures when I can, I work 6.30am till 5 so time is limited.

Perhaps KTM would have been easier- but I like the vstrom, and I own it . If the modification works well and good...if not then I will return it to standard . Simple...

Looks cool. :hurray:

Sounds like the KTM would maybe have been a easier direction.

Is this pic with the forks under full compression or is this the way its sits with the fork tops level with the triples or are the forks pushed through the triples?

More pics please !!!!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
The vendor of the KTM front end seems to have left the front wheel spacers somewhere else, so I have ordered a new pair, and in a couple of days [when they arrive] the vstrom will be ridden[probably on the weekend
:headbang: Bugger Scott, I have several pairs of KTM Wheel spacers (differnt sizes) sitting in my parts bit, waiting for a purpose in life.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Commissioning Ride #1

I went for a ride today to get a feel if it was worth pressing on with this project. Gale force winds made it difficult to impossible to do quality assessment. The front tyre is a 'not for highway use' knobby, likewise assessment difficult.
So my expectations were managed with this in mind and I believe it is worth moving to stage 2.
Observations as follows
The bike is noticeably higher at the seat
The brakes were much stronger than the 4 pot jobs I had on before.
The front end has noticeably more travel causing a dive effect on braking.
The bike feels stable up to 120kph and this was the max speed tested.
The bike front end felt to push out around corners a bit more than I was used to perhaps due to the tyre type

So stage 2 Commissioning involves routing cables- setting up steering stops, perhaps changing tyres, and going for a faster rougher test ride.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nearly there

Cables routed, steering stops sorted, new front tyre fitted, air cleaner serviced, and so on.....
Time for a ride this weekend I hope.

Sorry for the jack in the photo

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Travel

It is either 230mm or 265mm- I am not sure which model the fork is off. It is a White Power 48mm multi adjust upsidedown type from a 950 Adventure. It felt like it has significantly more movement up there when I rode it. Only a good thrash off road will tell me whether I have wasted my time

How much travel has the front end got, doesn't look like much. . . .

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is either 230mm or 265mm- I am not sure which model the fork is off. It is a White Power 48mm multi adjust upsidedown type from a 950 Adventure. It felt like it has significantly more movement up there when I rode it. Only a good thrash off road will tell me whether I have wasted my time
Do you think that you'll have problems with the wheel hitting the rad?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts