StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something clicked a few days ago. I was on the way home from a camping trip with my daughter on the 650 and found a Ktm dealer on my route. Stopped in to kick a leg over the 790 Adventure R. Last one was already sold. Now I can't stop thinking about it. Great suspension, good stand up ergos, 50% more hp, simpler maintenance, lighter weight, lower center of gravity, adjustable TC and ABS, ... The list goes on.

This was definitely not part of the plan this year, someone please convince me it's a really bad idea? How do I sell this to the wife after just buying a boat?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Reactions: drrod

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Simpler Maint........??? How so...?? I have read where KTM Maint can be a headache.......of course, it all depends on which model. I too, am attracted to the Orange Koolaid.........as long as Jim Jones ain't the salesman!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simpler Maint........??? How so...?? I have read where KTM Maint can be a headache.......of course, it all depends on which model. I too, am attracted to the Orange Koolaid.........as long as Jim Jones ain't the salesman!!
Less plastic to remove, longer service and oil change intervals, easy access air filter, plus a cartridge oil filter instead of that huge automotive thing hanging out front...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just picked up a 790R last week. Fun bike. Certainly different that the Vstrom on rough roads.
Congrats! How does noise, vibrations and buffeting compare?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Congrats! How does noise, vibrations and buffeting compare?

Noise - the motor sounds like a bucket of rocks on a paint shaker! Enough so that I shut it down immediately, after starting, when I picked it up at the dealer, thinking there was something wrong. "that's normal".
Vibrations - less than the V
Buffeting - not intrusive but I never found the V that bad either. I ride the V with the Madstad adjusted as low and flat as possible though. I haven't had the KTM on pavement enough to evaluate buffeting behind semis, etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I considered the KTM 790, but they aren’t big on keeping bikes in stock locally (couldn’t find a 790 to check out within a 100+ mile radius), so that was that. I’m not about to drop $11,000+ on something sight unseen.

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
Bud is loving his 790R after a year plus of ownership, has been reliable as a hammer so far and yes it is quite the performance machine. Yeah the engine mechanical noises sounds awful, makes the 1000 Strom sound like a sewing machine. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Marcham I say life is too short not to ride the bike you really want. Go take a test ride and if they won't allow that find a dealer that will.

A few years ago I wanted a Tiger 800...baaad. Dealer in Knoxville let me take one off the showroom floor for a 30 mile ride by myself. I even snuck off pavement a little. I liked it, but there were things I did not like so I passed then bought my new /used DL650XT.

If they fixed those issues on the 900 I might take another look. But, my biggest hesitation would still be a lack of dealerships nationwide compared to Suzuki. It's not a deal breaker, but it is something to ponder.

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
I just saw a review of the Tenere 700 on Fortnine yesterday. Very interesting.
No question the "overall" better engine is in the Super 7, but sounds like the rest of package aint too shabby either beyond perhaps stiffening up the suspension a bit.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see the 700 as a modern take on the xr650. Affordable, dirt oriented but still streetable, good engine, narrow enough to go almost anywhere. Only I don't see myself doing an 8000km trip on it due to the fuel tank size, narrower seat and lack of cruise control!

Unfortunately for me (wife is pleased) it seems the 790 adv R are all sold in bc.

Rode the vstrom today and took the long way home. It's really well sorted for the street but I'm wanting for switch on the fly rear abs, well sorted suspension, more ground clearance, adjustable traction control and electronic cruise! My 19 year old self would be kicking me right now... back then I was happy as can be crossing Canada on a 305cc parallel twin, no rain gear, a broken muffler and all my worldly belongings stuffed into garbage bags.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spec
1 - 12 of 12 Posts