StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you store your bike outside or anywhere there are a lot of eyes on your wheels, you can’t go wrong with this security chain from Kryptonite. The New York Legend Chain Lock System comes with your choice of either a three foot chain or a five foot chain to allow you plenty of reach to get through a wheel or between the frame and back so you can attach your bike to an anchor of your choice. This heavy duty motorcycle security chain is specifically engineering to resist attacks even by well-equipped thieves by making it difficult to cut the chain or defeat the locking mechanism. A reinforced, hardened steel chassis surrounds the locking cylinder which makes it difficult to access the shackle either by pulling or twisting it out and handily resists attempts to drill through the casing. Inside this lock housing, over 1 million different I-key variations are possible for added protection. For convenience, after you’ve registered your lock on Kryptonite’s website, it’s also possible to purchase additional keys directly from them should you lose yours or simply want extras on hand. As an added bonus, Kryptonite offers a $2,000 anti-theft protection policy should your motorcycle be stolen with this chain properly installed on your bike. Simply register your chain within 15 days of purchase to take advantage of this added insurance.

Kryptonite motorcycle security systems are not yet available on our website. To order yours, call MIKE at 866.931.6644 ext 804 or simply email him with your questions: send those to FORUM at RIDERSDISCOUNT dot COM with KRYPTONITE MOTORCYCLE CHAIN in the subject line and he’ll get back to you fast.

The Kryptonite New York Legend Chain Lock not only acts as a theft deterrent but some insurance companies may lower your premium if you can prove you own a good security system like this.

A sliding door is used to cover the key slot to keep dirt and debris out of the cylinder mechanism.

Each chain link is constructed from 3t hardened steel that’s 15mm thick making penetration by force or cutting extremely difficult for all but the most dedicated criminals. To protect your motorcycle, the links are covered with a nylon surround that’s Velcro’d in place to so it doesn’t slip out of position.

Inside, a double deadbolt lock mechanism features a 16mm MAX-Performance steel shackle that’s buried between two towers to make it difficult to get at. Even with the right industrial tools, this design makes access time consuming, something thieves would prefer to avoid so as not to get caught.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chain testing???

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm very interested in one of these chains, but finding any testing info on the internet is all but impossible:headbang:
I've really been searching all week to no avail. The only testing I could find is from 2007 when the Almax people cut almost any other competitor chain in mere seconds. Most of these chains back then were much narrower than the Almax, which was 16mm just like the Oxford Nemesis. Enter the Kryptonite Legend, at 15mm it's getting there, but I've been reading that the 42'' Irwin Record bolt cutters/croppers used can fit anything under 16mm into the jaw. This means that anything less than a four foot pair of cutters won't do it, but why take the chance? I don't know why it's so hard to find any information on this topic, is it so we don't accidentally educate the thieves? :confused:
I agree some things can be overkill, but why even waste $150 on a 15mm chain if it's as vulnerable as a 10mm? If you want to go bigger Almax and Pragmasis offer a 19mm chain! What I can't figure is why these are not readily available in the USA? If you can even get one shipped it will cost you about sixty to eighty in transport costs.
I park in an underground garage and I really want to keep my bikes.

To the OP that has this ad on just about every cycle forum I could find, I'm not trying to bash this product as I really want to purchase one at this great price; but I need some more proof that we're wasting our hard earned cash.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before posting this review, we did a bit of research on our own and found - just as you did, that a comprehensive side-by-side motorcycle security chain comparison isn't available. At least, not one that's been done recently. In any event, if someone really wants your bike (eg. "professional thieves"), they're probably going to get it one way or another and even the best chain isn't going to stop them.

This chain is only one piece of a good security system. Obviously, where and how you park your bike is another factor, but you should also consider tactics that make it difficult for thieves to have access to the chain with a set of cutting tools. Finally, an alarm with remote alerts and GPS tracking is another option to consider. Something like a Scorpio R-link alarm could be very useful in the event that all other security precautions fail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts