StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this set of Koso Apollo Heated grips in my bin of unused parts from previous bikes that I think I will put on my 650XT.

Installation looks to be straight forward except for the fact they are about 10mm longer than the stock grips. I have read that Koso does not recommend cutting the grips and I noticed that I do have some extra room that may allow me to run the full grip.

Has anyone installed these and if so did you install at full length or did you cut the grips?

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
The left and right clusters have a pin that align with a hole in the handlebars to keep them from rotating. If you grind off that pin you can slide the clutch and throttle perch's in to make room for the grips. I have Oxfords and just cut them instead of removing the index pins.

This guy cut his Koso's though:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/koso-apollo-heated-grips-review/

"This turned out to be correct, as we were able to trim the Koso grips as needed (to the groove at the outer edge of the grips, before the main body) without exposing or damaging any of the wiring inside the grip housing.

[UPDATE: Note that Koso warns against cutting the grips, but see photos above.]

Once they were trimmed, we finished the installation by using the included grip glue and then we slid the grips into place."

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone installed these and if so did you install at full length or did you cut the grips?

I installed the Koso Apollo’s without trimming. See this thread: https://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?p=5321333#/topics/82793?page=322

Post #3194

I purchased a new throttle tube to accommodate for the longer grips and the Suzuki’s lip. I also added washers as spacers on the bar ends so the rubber grommet/nut wouldn’t be pulled out of the bar when tightening the bar ends. I had to play with the tightness of the throttle side bar end to get it to work without rubbing the grip but I found the sweet spot and after a couple hundred miles I’m very happy. Clutch side grip is slightly hangs over the end of the bar but it’s not noticeable once the end is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the Koso Apollo’s without trimming. See this thread: https://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?p=5321333#/topics/82793?page=322

Post #3194

I purchased a new throttle tube to accommodate for the longer grips and the Suzuki’s lip. I also added washers as spacers on the bar ends so the rubber grommet/nut wouldn’t be pulled out of the bar when tightening the bar ends. I had to play with the tightness of the throttle side bar end to get it to work without rubbing the grip but I found the sweet spot and after a couple hundred miles I’m very happy. Clutch side grip is slightly hangs over the end of the bar but it’s not noticeable once the end is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Good info.

I realized that the Throttle Tube would need some work and had thought about buying a new one from Suzuki since it looked like they were less than $20 from RMATV but instead opted for a G2 Throttle Tamer instead. Although I think I like your solution better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts