StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding out to Bozeman middle of next month and I was wondering what Hwy 12 is like between Kooskia and Lolo. My concern is that it goes through the Bitterroot and with the heavy snowpack this year is it possible that it could be closed? Looks like a great route, anyone have any info they would like to pass on? I'm accompanying a friend and his son out there for his son's collage orientation. We're on our Wee's and his son has a Suzuki 500 street bike. We drop his son off in Bozeman and we take off fishing for three days:hurray:

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I was over it and back last weekend, snow is no problem - at least it wasn't then! It is an absolutely gorgeous ride, not to be missed. Watch out for animals especially on the east side.

If you're looking to stay somewhere along the way, I can highly recommend the Lewis and Clark Resort in Kamiah. Great folks run it, I've stayed there 4 or 5 times now.

Hopefully by then the snow melt will let up a bit and the fly fishing will be good too. Sounds like a great trip!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Looking forward to the ride report, and fishing report.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking forward to the ride report, and fishing report.
Did you get down to the Tour of Cali. this year? I scored a moto gig for a pro photographer for the Mt. Hood Classic next weekend:hurray::hurray:

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did you get down to the Tour of Cali. this year? I scored a moto gig for a pro photographer for the Mt. Hood Classic next weekend:hurray::hurray:
That's great to hear about your score, whenever they have local bike races around here I pretend to do the same, the yellow bike is a perfect match for the yellow OBRA trucks.

The surprise May weather caused many plans to be changed and mine was one of them. I used the time off to get my Forest Service chain saw certification, so that way I can operate one when we go out to do volunteer trail work with my Disciples of Dirt Mountain Bike Club brothers and sisters. I'm also keeping my eyes open for an old cross saw in good shape, maybe just over 5 feet will do.

Hey, see if you can get a link to his photos so we can get a view of the race. Have fun Dan.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
So here's a shot of the summit of Lolo Pass from last Satuday, May 21st.

And if you haven't ridden it before, or even if you have, take the time while passing through Lewiston to run up the Old Spiral Highway and back.

That road is in great shape!

·
sick of being sick of it
213 Posts
I scored a moto gig for a pro photographer for the Mt. Hood Classic next weekend:hurray::hurray:
Bucket list item. Nice job Dan.

You goin' fishin'? (idaho)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I rode over Lolo a few summers ago and it was one of the best rides so far. I am also heading to Montana on the 16th but will go east a little south of that if the roads are good. If not, I will stop and see some family in Clarkston and go over Lolo again. I will post a few pics when I get home.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bucket list item. Nice job Dan.

You goin' fishin'? (idaho)
We drop his son off for three days of collage orientation in Bozeman and we head out for three days of fishing :yesnod:

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, see if you can get a link to his photos so we can get a view of the race. Have fun Dan.
Photographer's name is David McColm from Vancouver BC. Great guy and we had a great time. Here's a link to a few Facebook photos he put up.

Adventure | Facebook

Next time I'm going to change out my 15t. for my 14t. Killed me trying to balance him (210 lbs) and his gear riding up a 12% grade at 7 mph. Poor engine lugging at 1800 rpm's and me slipping the clutch to keep from taking out any riders. A few tense moments to say the least. I really didn't have time to take any photos, too busy concentrating on the road.

·
sick of being sick of it
213 Posts
I really didn't have time to take any photos, too busy concentrating on the road.
I would have thought Kristen Armstrong's legs would have broken your concentration!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Photographer's name is David McColm from Vancouver BC. Great guy and we had a great time. Here's a link to a few Facebook photos he put up.

Adventure | Facebook

Next time I'm going to change out my 15t. for my 14t. Killed me trying to balance him (210 lbs) and his gear riding up a 12% grade at 7 mph. Poor engine lugging at 1800 rpm's and me slipping the clutch to keep from taking out any riders. A few tense moments to say the least. I really didn't have time to take any photos, too busy concentrating on the road.
Well it's good to hear that it can be done. I'm guessing that he didn't want to sit backwards either. I only saw one red wee-strom while watching the Giro, he had a photo guy also.
be safe, Bill

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Returned last Friday afternoon with 2200 miles on the gps. Hood River, Lewiston, Lolo Pass, Bozeman, Yellowstone, Big Hole, Enterprise, Bull Prairie Res. and then home, whew!

That stretch between Lewiston and Lolo is a must see for everyone here who hasn't yet. Beautiful ride and with the 50 mph posted speed limit for 70 miles of that stretch it's peaceful and relaxing. We camped most nights but did end up getting a cabin at the Lochsa Lodge Welcome to the Lochsa Lodge on the return trip. It was raining and they had a cabin with 4 beds for $60 so we couldn't resist.

Also got the chance to ride the stretch between Lewiston and Enterprise. Great fun and I schooled a teenager in cornering going up the south side twistys on my vstrom pacmule :yesnod: The strom can get it up when it wants and the rider wants to keep the revs up. I just can't think of a better bike for everything I like to do.

I'll try to get a ride report put together this week but I have work to catch up on which means traveling. I found out late Friday as I was catching up on work emails that I will be going out to Cody, Wy. middle of next month so I may be taking the strom if it works out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts