StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been unusually COLD, snowy & icy lately up here in the Puget Sound area. Now that we're returning to more seasonal rain, the White Christmas stuff is going away. So 2-wheel cabin fever finally got to me yesterday after several weeks of not being able to get out. A splash of afternoon sun was all I needed to run some gas through the Wee, but my neighborhood still had lots of slush with many icy tire tracks, Anakee's not as sure footed as the TKC's. :bom_guitarist:

Had a brisk ride on the back roads in East King County that let me try out my new Kolpin 'Geartector' Hand Mittens (similar to Hippo Hands). I'm sold! Even with no grip heat, my hands were toasty with just summer gloves. They only cost $25 and allow full use of turn signal and starter after a bit of fitting. I also needed to cut a small 1/2" hole for the mirror stalk - no big hassle and it discourages grab & run thieves. So while they're plenty ugly, they'll be on the bike until spring. [Note: It does take a little muscle-memory drill to have the thumbs "remember" their places without looking] :p

I also needed to try out my new Gerbing vest - after just one 35 mile ride, I'm a convert - now I know what I've been missing. So now that I'm otherwise set for cold weather, my feet need some attention - they were getting noticeably cold after 30-45 minutes. Summer thin street boots won't cut it - gotta work on that. Anyone out there with a good deal on used size 10-11 Oxtar Infinity's???

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the factory handguards?
Yup! The Korpins mount right over them. This function check with the guards was 'Experiment 1'. I wanted to make sure the mitts would work without lots of hassle taking off/mounting the guards. Now I'll try the mitts without the factory guards just to see if they work even better. Might even get to do that tomorrow - if I do, I'll report back.

FYI, the Korpins have a nice internal fiber(?) stiffener on the front and side that prevents them from collapsing in the wind. I ran 'er up to 70-ish with no sign of flapping.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Did you buy them locally or on the internet? I'm just out in Enumclaw and would rather get some from a shop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you buy them locally or on the internet? I'm just out in Enumclaw and would rather get some from a shop.
I got mine on the internet after seeing a similar set at GI Joes in Issaquah. The problem with that - only one remaining on the shelf from a set and that one was camo. I liked the construction and internal space and still would'a bought a set of camo's and just rattle can them black. But the staff couldn't come up with the other orphan mitt or find a listing on the inventory master for that store or others. They could only find the next lower Korpin model selling for $11, basically just two pieces of fleece with heavy fabric covering - no front & side stiffeners or hold-open device to accommodate bulky sleeves - maybe OK for ATV's, not on the road.

Like you, I prefer to buy locally and see/touch what I'm buying when I can, but sometime the net just makes more sense. Here's the link where I found my set. FWIW, it took about a week to get 'em, no complaints about ordering or shipment.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=441075&kwtid=282480

Oh, did I mention that I like 'em a lot? :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts