StromTrooper banner

Knocking....

4329 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Starfleet
I know, another thread about knocking, but this is real knocking, need opinions please. Coming home from a trip 2 weeks ago, riding double, all saddlebags/trunk full, in other words, we were fully loaded, stopped for pizza. Upon start up to go on home, engine had a very loud knocking, the ball ping hammer type.... but, I had to get home, so I took off, easily and before I'd rolled 20 ft., knocking went away, and engine ran fine. Next morning, same thing, had 1 morning since, when it did not knock, rest of the time, if you shut down, and let it sit for 10 minutes, when starting back, it will knock, but goes away within just a minute or so, and runs o.k. My dealer's mechanic was not there Monday, but my dealer said it sounded like a main bearing..... Now, any one else have this issue, and what does it sound like, just looking for some input before I pull into my shop and start a tear down, too much riding season left here in Arkansas... Oh, it has 39,000 miles on it, 05 DL1000. Input welcome at this point... I think I may have lugged it too much over that weekend, spent most of the time being a good fellow biker, and was following a couple of gold wings around!! I was most patient I was!! But that's another story... Please let the comments begin, and thanks for any and all input..

Gary
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
1,051 Posts
dealer said it sounded like a main bearing..... Now, any one else have this issue, and what does it sound like
i never had this problem with my bike but i had a car do something like that once and it was piston slap. IOW's worn out cylinders. once engine warms up, pistons expand due to heat and noise goes away. before tear down, do a compression check. if compression checks out ok then, probably not worn out. g-luck

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Sounds like piston slap or rod knocking. Once oil pressure comes up, rod will quiet down some. A mechanics stethescope will tell you whether its top end or bottom end, need to listen right at start up.

My experience is rod knock will quit sooner than piston slap upon start up as oil pressure comes up quicker than piston heat. As you have guessed lugging an engine is bad for lower rod bearings as the rod force is very high and the oil pressure is low and oil film layer is thin.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's, I have a stethascope somewhere, will dig it out and give a listen and see if I can pinpoint where its coming from. I've parked it for now..... the tears are falling......

Gary

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Thanks for the reply's, I have a stethascope somewhere, will dig it out and give a listen and see if I can pinpoint where its coming from. I've parked it for now..... the tears are falling......

Gary
Long screwdriver.

Place screwdriver tip at different points on the engine, place ear against handle butt and listen to the noises.

This is a highly effective way to pinpoint and identify internal engine noises.

Over the years I have identified bearing noises, tappets, lifters, water pumps, distributor shaft wear, bearings and numerous other faults inside engines [mainly cars but on bikes too].

· Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,932 Posts
I will be surprised if it is a main or rod bearing. If it is that loud on start-up then once the oil warms up there WILL be some noise then also.

Double check the cam chain assembly.

· Registered
360 Posts
If your bike is making lots of noise on startup, as Shelby says, check for problems with the cam chain tensioners. They make a heck of a noise at start up if one is failing.

The other thing to consider is a duff oil pressure relief valve (oil pressure regulator). This may not be working for a variety of reasons (usually dirt or muck sticking it up) and it allows the oil in the engine galleries to drain away completely so you start up pretty dry of lube. It may also prevent the engine from reaching normal oil pressure so maybe a check of the oil pressure is a good idea. I doubt your engine has come to any harm though. Not yet seen a Vee with rod or bearing problems.

· Banned
4,054 Posts
Just out of curiosity (and this might be related to your problem), what kind of oil are you using?

In my experience, shot bearings knock all the time, not only after you start the engine.

Piston slap, in my experience, has also been constant, though it is more audible under load.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Morning!! Long weekend, I go off the grid when I'm not at work... anyway, problem solved, or at least found, not even in the engine. Once seat was removed, plastic under tank pcs, and bike on center stand in my shop, sound was not even coming from engine..... now I had upteem people, and some claim to be mechanics, listen to my bike, and they all went, ooooooooh, that's gonna be bad..... but the sound was coming from an exhaust leak... rear cylinder exhaust header, where it fits into the exhaust system, could even stick my face down next to the battery and smell and feel exhaust coming up, actually, just tightened it up, and the sound is gone...... never at any time did this sound like normal exhaust leak. Anyway, appreciate all the input, rode in to work this morning, and the bike rode exceptionally well!!! Thanks again!

Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.