StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new 2012 owner and did do a search on this, not finding anything, but if it has been covered somewhere please just point me in that direction.

The clearance between the front tire and fender is very close and I'm wondering if a DOT knobby front such as the Continental TKC 80 or Kenda Big Block, in the same size as the stock tire, will clear the fender. I believe I read somewhere that for the pre-2012 models they will clear, but perhaps the earlier models have greater clearance than the 2012 does?

Thanks.

Mike
Ride Around the World 2005

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
A WORN TKC-80 definitely worked. It was used in pretty nasty conditions (a lot of wet clay) and never actually jammed.

Agree 100% it's tight though, forget fenda-extenders.

Pete

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Pete. That gives me some cause to hope one of these tires will work.

I'm going to try a Big Block (considerably less expensive). It's quite a bit smaller (not as tall) than the stock tire side by side but that's with the stock one mounted and inflated and the Kenda neither of those.

If all else fails I wonder if the fender could be raised somehow, or a different fender mounted.

I'll post the results with the Big Block. Thanks again.

Mike
www.rtwrider.net

·
Registered
371 Posts
Touratech make a fender raiser for the old Wee, maybe they'll make one for the new one as well..?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
The Kenda big blocks do fit.

The dealer demo bike I rode had them on. Good grip on and off road - but (reported by others) wear pretty quickly.

Pete

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I installed the front Big Block, rode it very briefly (although not over anything real rough), and it didn't rub. There is 1/2 inch of clearance at the rear tip of the fender, which is somewhat flexible over the rear section. Perhaps it is possible that over substantial bumps at speed the fender could flex enough that it would catch on a knob and be damaged, but I think this is unlikely.,

I've never ridden Big Blocks but a good rider comparison with TKC 80s I read said they were better off-pavement than the TKC, not as good on pavement, especially in the wet, and wore about the same. All of the tires of this tpe I've ridded wear rapidly. I've put a lot of miles on Dunlop D-606s and they're better in the dirt, not as good on pavement, and wear rapidly also. The longest wearing dual sport tire I've ever experienced were Avon Gripsters, which were phonomenal that way, but they're not a knobby.

Thanks again for the input Pete - it was helpful and persuaded me to go ahead and try the Big Blocks, which I really wanted to use since I can get them at wholesale.

Mike
www.rtwrider.net

1 - 6 of 6 Posts