StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 V-Strom 650 ABS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends! Long time lurker, first time poster.
I have read the other advice for the 'tall rider issues' but I wanted to ask opinion on my own issue. I ride a new-to-me Vstrom 650abs 2009 and recently on my lever side, I've been getting discomfort with my knee area. I'm 6'2 and 300ish lbs, the discomfort is becoming more and more. On the brake lever side, it's all good. No issues at all. The bike was lowered to fit the previous owner, the forks are adjusted. I was just wondering what my top mods to quickly and efficiently stop the discomfort? It doesn't happen when I drive my car. I also teach motorcycle training and when I'm walking around for KM's in the parking lot, it gets real bad. I'm planning to ride this bike all year round and I know I need to get this issue fixed before it gets REAL cold :)
I am about to order the Adventure Tech lowering pegs plus lever extender but I'm trying to figure out shipping cause I live in Canada. Just wondering what else I could do?

Thank you so much and what a wonderful site!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could Look for a DL1000 OEM seat, they are a bit taller than the 650 seat.

I have one on my 09 DL650. My 11 DL650 has the oem 650 seat

·
Registered
2002 1000 V-Strom
37 Posts
same height problem here.. added padding to seat at upholstery shop and also installed a Sit & Fly mesh seat cover. Mounted some cheap folding pegs to the oil cooler bracket to stretch legs on longer trips.. pretty comfy now

·
Vendor
5,990 Posts
The problem is the distance between the seat and the pegs. You can raise the seat or lower the pegs, or both.

If your previous owner was short the bike probably has the DL650 seat (if it is a Suzuki seat). The DL1000 seat of that era was taller and interchangeable with the DL650 seat. Many people swap seats.

For peg lowering see my site under chassis. If you have large boots and trouble getting under the shifter there is a solution for that as well.

Stock suspension links are cheap. We also have raising links that are the highest quality cheaper than the competition.

·
Registered
2004 DL650
110 Posts
I put a Suzuki gel seat on from a dl1000, made a big improvement, about 1" taller and not cut in as much pushing the junk into the tank.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
This is probably of no help at all. I had pain in my right leg after about ten minutes riding, added risers which let me sit more upright and that meant I could ride for half an hour rather than 10 minutes before having to stretch my leg out.
I'm in a work from home situation, got a new (very expensive) chair for my birthday to replace the one getting tired and effectively the pain has just gone. (Don't I just feel stupid now).

Obviously the underlying problem is still there but the grief it causes me is now down in the noise.

So I'd also suggest you check for stupid things, if you sit a lot, consider getting a better chair, which hip pocket do you carry stuff in, is there anything in your left side pockets anywhere when you ride. Does the belt you wear cut into your hips when riding - all the stuff that's not 'bike' that could be making this worse.

Also, when I lived somewhere cold, I used to get knee pain from the cold knees, MX leg/knee protectors, the stupid looking cheap plastic ones, fixed that. (Cold just isn't an issue where I am now)

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
You could Look for a DL1000 OEM seat, they are a bit taller than the 650 seat.

I have one on my 09 DL650. My 11 DL650 has the oem 650 seat
+1. I have the OEM gel seat on my '08 Wee, and it's orders of magnitude better ergonomically than the stock seat, and definitely sits me higher.

Like you, I have issues with my left knee on the '21 Wee, which I did not have on the '08. Discomfort gradually develops on the lower edge of the kneecap; seems to be tension from shifting. Best I can do to lift me right now is the OEM tall seat, which I have, but it is nowhere near as good as the '08 gel seat, which is not available for the '21. Probably going to have to go aftermarket for a seat at some point.

I'm also keeping Rick's peg/control lowering kit in mind in case it comes to that, though I'd rather not go that route.

·
Registered
2009 V-Strom 650 ABS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is the distance between the seat and the pegs. You can raise the seat or lower the pegs, or both.

If your previous owner was short the bike probably has the DL650 seat (if it is a Suzuki seat). The DL1000 seat of that era was taller and interchangeable with the DL650 seat. Many people swap seats.

For peg lowering see my site under chassis. If you have large boots and trouble getting under the shifter there is a solution for that as well.

Stock suspension links are cheap. We also have raising links that are the highest quality cheaper than the competition.
I did send you an email, I was just wondering how much is shipping to Vancouver B.C.? I added all the gear to cart and it immediately put me into paypal without any shipping info.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My left hip was giving me similar discomfort, Rick's peg lowering kit resolved the issue. EZ install, best farkle I've added I think.

·
Vendor
5,990 Posts
The Paypal cart actually calculates shipping and you get to see it before placing the order. PM sent.

The conversation about the chair reminds me of the neck pain i s experiencing back about 2004. I tried a new chair for watching TV, a new chair at work, and talked to a doctor. Turned out to be back pressure pushing my head forward while riding my ST1300. A new windscreen with a vent to reduce back pressure fixed it. And I didn't have to clean the bugs off the back side of the wind screen anymore (well, as much anyway).

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Turned out to be back pressure pushing my head forward while riding my ST1300. A new windscreen with a vent to reduce back pressure fixed it. And I didn't have to clean the bugs off the back side of the wind screen anymore (well, as much anyway).
Did you know the back pressure was there all along but didn't realize it was a problem, or did you not notice the pressure until you went looking for problems?

I ask because I don't seem to have any of the air-pressure or buffeting issues that some riders do on these bikes, so just wondering what others experience. There are obviously a lot of variables that are poorly understood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Highly recommend the peg lowering and shift lever adjustment kit from @richlandrick AdventureTech, LLC. I just installed one on my bike and it is amazing. Huge difference in comfort. I am not 6' 2 on 5' 11, but that one extra inch of drop and the ability to move my shift lever forward 1.5 in was amazing change to the comfort of the bike! Thanks @richlandrick for your amazing engineering, I have not had a chance to put a post on to talk about them yet, but they're great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep I too got the fork brace and I got the rear wheel spacing kit (and returned the old one so he could make new adjusted ones)

All completely worth the money!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did you know the back pressure was there all along but didn't realize it was a problem, or did you not notice the pressure until you went looking for problems?

I ask because I don't seem to have any of the air-pressure or buffeting issues that some riders do on these bikes, so just wondering what others experience. There are obviously a lot of variables that are poorly understood.
It is interesting because I thought I had very low buffeting until I rode my friends BMW gs1200. That was zero buffeting.

I'll be in same category as you, prefer bit of buffeting as I appreciate air pressing against me than none.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Yep I too got the fork brace and I got the rear wheel spacing kit (and returned the old one so he could make new adjusted ones)

All completely worth the money!
Did they alleviate your knee discomfort?

(Sorry, just realized we're completely off topic, so poking some fun. I was similarly guilty.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I needed Rick's lowering and extender just to be able to shift properly with my Sidi Crossfires on. Without the extension I had to shift with the heel of the boot !

I also recommend the dash board Rick sells, perfect for adding power devices and switches on my 2013 DL650A

·
Registered
6 Posts
I needed Rick's lowering and extender just to be able to shift properly with my Sidi Crossfires on. Without the extension I had to shift with the heel of the boot !

I also recommend the dash board Rick sells, perfect for adding power devices and switches on my 2013 DL650A
I did the same, got new riding boots that are much larger, thicker, and needed to move the shifter forward a lot. The surprise was how much nicer the bike felt with that drop of the foot pegs and the 1/4 inch move of them out from the frame was also nice.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I did the same, got new riding boots that are much larger, thicker, and needed to move the shifter forward a lot.
Just raising the shifter a notch or two wasn't enough? That's odd. I definitely had the same problem with Alpinestar Scout boots (they are Gene Simmons-big), but notching the shifter up fixed it (until they broke in, and then I moved it back).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts