Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in beefing up my leg protection for commuting but didn't really want the hassle or expense of full on riding pants. I do have a pair of Kevlar lined jeans that I like. Often when I read reviews of riding pants they complain that the knee armor is poorly placed or that it moves around so much that they weren't sure how much protection they would provide. I bought a pair of Fox Titan sport knee and shin guards from Cycle Gear for $20, Amazon has them for the same price. Please excuse the rather poor quality of the photos.

Here is a shot of what they look like on with my Tourmaster riding boots. The bottom of the guard extends just into the top of my riding boot. This is not a problem, as the boots have room at the top and the shin guards are relatively thin.

And here is a photo of the guards being worn under just a pair of regular jeans. You would hardly even notice them. I can take them on and off without removing my jeans and they are light and comfortable. We'll worth the money and a vast improvement over what I was previously wearing for knee armor, which was nothing.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Ahh, standard motocross atire. Good idea if you are wearing just the jeans. I broke and disslocated a knee cap years ago in a crash. I always wear some sort of knee, hip and spine protection now.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I have been considering a pressure suit for more protection [although I do normally wear cordura jacket and riding pants with armour installed- either summer or winter set depending on the season/weather].

I normally wear football shorts under my summer mesh riding pants, but sometimes it would nice to wear lightweight cargo pants for when going somewhere riding gear is not appropriate attire.

How do the knee/shin guards feel on bare legs?

Do they make you sweat a lot behind the knees?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
When my boy first started riding with me and the Bitterroot Gang they insisted that he had protective gear and one of the group gave some knee/ shin protectors just like those.
A few month later he crashed his ninja going through big potholes. this crash split the knee protector in half but saved his knee and shin from destruction.
They did there job well.
Use them.
Another rider went down with Kevlar jeans and they did not tear or road rash away. But he did not have pads on under them and got bruised up pretty good.
With both you should be in great shape!:thumbup:
I'll see if I can find a photo.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
When my boy first started riding with me and the Bitterroot Gang they insisted that he had protective gear and one of the group gave some knee/ shin protectors just like those.
A few month later he crashed his ninja going through big potholes. this crash split the knee protector in half but saved his knee and shin from destruction.
They did there job well.
Use them.
Another rider went down with Kevlar jeans and they did not tear or road rash away. But he did not have pads on under them and got bruised up pretty good.
With both you should be in great shape!:thumbup:
I'll see if I can find a photo.
Thanks,

The things I like about my cargo pants are:- zip out lower half legs, making them either long or short pants; loose fit so would be easy to get knee guards on/off; plenty of big, secure pockets to carry stuff.

I have always been in two minds about kevlar pants, a lot of money for limited protection, and not always practical for all day long wear.

In the Australian heat I like to be as cool as I can possibly be [even in winter I'm often wearing my summer mesh gear unless it is raining, I tolerate cold weather fairly well- heat is ok too...... but humidity sucks big time for me, absolutely hate it :headbang: ]

Edit; You were quick, got the pic up before I'd finished my reply here. :yesnod:

That crack would have been more than catastrophic if it had been a direct hit on the kneecap. :yikes:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do the knee/shin guards feel on bare legs?

Do they make you sweat a lot behind the knees?
They feel just fine against bare skin, really comfortable. I wore them riding today and stopped at a market and did some shopping, really hardly aware of them. Could I wear them during Phoenix's 110 degree summers? Probably not, but I use my bike for commuting primarily from fall thru spring here and I see no problem wearing them.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I went out and bought the Fox Titan Sport knee guards after reading your review. I love them.

I rode for about 10 hours with them under Klim Dakar pants on my last ride. Couldn't feel them at all....very comfortable and so much better foam pads in a pocket in the pants ( than move during a fall ).

Thanks again for your review.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts