Strom Trooper banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Looks like you will take about 40 days to do the trip.This seems like a reasonable plan.The distances you plan to cover seem doable also.I read a ride report about the guy who did it in three weeks and it required many 5 and 6 hundred mile days.That's too much for some of us.I'll be following and learning.Good luck.
That's the plan. I want to take it easy in the interesting areas. I'll take longer days in the prairies.

KKORO

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
remember, the further north you go (in summer) the longer the days are, till there is no darkness at all. One of my friends that made the trip, told me that he found himself still riding at 10 and 11 pm, at times

I want to make the trip in the summer first, but my ultimate goal is Deadhorse in the winter, I have a real hankering for a winter trip, a few hundred miles in a blizzard or ice storm is challenging, but, it's only brief, I want to expand my winter touring
Here's a picture I took in Dawson City around 1:00 A.M. when I was at Dust to Dawson in 2017.

Triple J at midnight.jpg

If you look close, that's my red KLR second from the right.

The next day they were going to have a golf tournament at midnight. I think they also have midnight softball game.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've been agonizing over my choice of tires. My last trip to Alaska was on my 2004 KLR. By the way, that was a great bike to do these kinds of trips. I chose Mitas e-07's for that trip and they easily made the entire 10,000 mile trip. If Mitas had not changed the tire to the E-07+, tire choice would have been easy. However, the new E-07's, reputedly, won't get the same mileage. I really didn't want to change tires along the way.

I'm pretty easy on tires, and there's a good chance I'd make the whole trip. But I'd worry. I am riding a bike this time that weighs about 150 lbs. heavier than my KLR. I just can't be sure they'd last the whole trip.

Another concern is the construction zones. One of the riders I met at Dust to Dawson totaled his bike in a construction zone. I went though one section around Chicken that was being doused with a lot of water. I went through a couple spots with, about, 6" of mud. I almost lost it a couple of times. I have no dirt bike experience, so the construction zones scare me. I feel the need to have some tires that will be good in the rough conditions even though I'll be riding 95% on paved roads.

This is my solution. Either Motoz Tractionator GPS or Mitas E-07+ for the first part of the trip and then switch to Shinko 705's in Whitehorse, YT for the way home. I'd encourage comments about the Motoz or Mitas. I'm pretty well set on trying the Shinkos on the way home. I've always wanted to try them. After the Alcan and TransCanada, I should have a pretty good idea how I like them.

I'd welcome any comments about tires as I've not ordered them yet.

Be Well! KKORO
KKORO I'm a big fan of Metzeler's 1st generation Tourance. On my first trip up I started out on these and carried a set of Continental TKC80's with me. I was told that the TKC80's would only last about 1,500 miles at the most, I switched them out in Tok before going up the Dalton for the first time. They did great, so great that I got to thinking that I was 17 again and before I knew it I was rolling along at 70 mph. Then I hit a big hole that I couldn't miss and bent the front wheel, not only bent out the bead edges of the wheel, but bent it out of round in between the spokes! After getting a new wheel back in Fairbanks I road those TKC 80's all the way back to Western Kentucky, and road them around here at home for a thousand or so more miles. The great mileage could have been due to the fact that it rained on me most of the way home and was cold, maybe this kept the wear down, I'm not sure.

On the second trip up, I could have easily made the round trip on the one set of Tourances. I did get a tear out of Whitehorse and had to be hauled back, I also had to have a wheel bearing replaced while I was there, be sure and check yours, or possibly replace them if you have some miles on them. I rode the Dalton all the way to Prudhoe Bay with the Tourances and never had a bit of trouble even with the snotty slick conditions. My buddy had never ridden off road, and I had made him follow me on every gravel road I could find here locally and he did fine on the stock tires he had on his BMW 700GS. I'm like you, I'm not real comfortable riding a loaded to the gills bike in deep mud, just take your time and you'll be fine.

One more thing about Tok that you probably know about already, Fast Eddy's is the place to eat, I saved up on meals on the way up so I could splurge and eat there and at Homer down on the Spit, great places to eat there if you like fresh seafood! I'm looking to go to Dawson, but we won't be able to make D2D I don't think. Then I'm hoping to see the places we didn't get to see on the first two trips up. Sounds like you have everything figured out, I'm no expert by any means, but if you have any questions I'd be happy to share anything I know.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
One more thing about Tok that you probably know about already, Fast Eddy's is the place to eat, I saved up on meals on the way up so I could splurge and eat there and at Homer down on the Spit, great places to eat there if you like fresh seafood! I'm looking to go to Dawson, but we won't be able to make D2D I don't think. Then I'm hoping to see the places we didn't get to see on the first two trips up. Sounds like you have everything figured out, I'm no expert by any means, but if you have any questions I'd be happy to share anything I know.
I ate at Fast Eddy's a number of times. Is there a Fast Eddy's in Homer also? If not, where's a good place in Homer?

KKORO

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can get Shinko’s at the Yamaha dealer in Whitehorse, it’s right off the AK highway. You’ll need to order them and they are a little pricy but those guys are decent to work with.
If you want to do your own tires Eagle claw in Tok has a decent shop (I believe she has a tire machine) you can probably ship them to Vanessa and she’ll hold them for you. That would be the lower cost option. Do the tires on your way back south, stay in Tok and skip beaver creek other then gas and passing through.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
I have run the Dakar E07 and E07 + rears on almost identical loaded trips of about 6K each. The wear on both trips is almost identical so I am confident I can get home on them (+'s) during a 8-10K trip. After 8K they will be pretty squared off, but there will be plenty of meat left to run on pavement. An no, I am not easy on tires.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You can get Shinko’s at the Yamaha dealer in Whitehorse, it’s right off the AK highway. You’ll need to order them and they are a little pricy but those guys are decent to work with.
If you want to do your own tires Eagle claw in Tok has a decent shop (I believe she has a tire machine) you can probably ship them to Vanessa and she’ll hold them for you. That would be the lower cost option. Do the tires on your way back south, stay in Tok and skip beaver creek other then gas and passing through.
Thanks for the information. My last trip up to Alaska I had a clutch cable break at the border crossing. The tow company based in Beaver Creek helped out a lot and hauled me and my bike to Whitehorse. The stop in Beaver Creek is to say "hi" and take him out for drinks and dinner.

KKORO

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A group of us will leave Eureka MT on June 13th
Last time I went, 2017, I took the north route over and headed north at Kalispell. This trip, I'm taking a more southern route to see more of the Rockies.

See ya' at D to D.

KKORO

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This looks like an amazing trip! Cannot wait until I can do a 4 month motorcycle trip :) Someday haha :)
There are many drawbacks to becoming old. But, one of the advantages is time. I'll be gone for about 6 weeks this trip, but if I get interested in something, I might stay out longer. Being old doesn't mean you can't have fun.

KKORO

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ate at Fast Eddy's a number of times. Is there a Fast Eddy's in Homer also? If not, where's a good place in Homer?

KKORO
No Fast Eddy's in Homer, but down on the Spit there are several restaurants. I asked the campground owner which one was good, he said any of them. Can't remember which one we ate at.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here's a picture I took in Dawson City around 1:00 A.M. when I was at Dust to Dawson in 2017.

View attachment 243695

If you look close, that's my red KLR second from the right.

The next day they were going to have a golf tournament at midnight. I think they also have midnight softball game.
If you look close you can see the front of my KLR - Blue one - third bike from the right - just about the same place you were.

Picture taken Thursday evening 6/15/17 the day I got there

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry for not posting for awhile. Things have changed.

Riding buddies both have operations changing plans. OEM parts being replaced (shoulder, hip, and knee.) I've got an eye problem (ptosis) that may require surgery. Nobody ever said being 70 was going to make life easier.

Plans for any long ride are on hold for the time being until things get sorted out.

I hope to start posting again about some kind of trip. Until then -- safe travels!

KKORO

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
Life can get in the way can't it. I imagine at 70 the chance of interruption goes up quite fast. I have another 10 years before I am there, if I get that far.

Hopefully you can get things back on track before too long.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well, I've gone through two eye surgeries and my vision is better than ever. If cleared by the surgeon this coming Thursday, I'll be off to Arkansas to my old stumping ground in Mt. View. Not Alaska, but should be fun.

KKORO

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, I've gone through two eye surgeries and my vision is better than ever. If cleared by the surgeon this coming Thursday, I'll be off to Arkansas to my old stumping ground in Mt. View. Not Alaska, but should be fun.

KKORO
Have a great time!

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts