StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been a lurker for a few days...long enough to get strom fever :) i found the site researching the wee but coming from big bikes i'm afraid the vee will be my logical choice. i'm currently riding a 1250 Bandit that's been 'HOLESHOT' as well as complete suspension mods and set for touring. living in jacksonville florida, i have 500 miles of flat, straight boring riding to get to anywhere---and it's too hot hjere to ride from june to september. so i spend my free time kitesurfing. my riding happens a couple thousand miles at a time. my latest was 2 weeks ago up the BRP to meadows of dan va and then slabbed it home after a a couple weeks of family visit in NC. planning a 4th of july ride up to ny--fairhaven state park--via va/west va mountains. still trying to plan a route using google and trip reports on adv rider. my ultimate goal is a roadworthy strom ride down into mexico for a few months, possibly towing a one wheel trailer. ok, now you know everything about me :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Florida Rider

I live in Palm Coast. Like you, I do not ride much in FL...........

I usually take one 3000 mile trip each year. I have a daughter in Raleigh (Cary),NC. Also spend time in Blacksburg, Va.

I am a retired Hare Scramble rider and have contacts throughout VA, WV and NC.

I have a son who lives outside Philadelphia and try to incorporate a visit with him during my trip.

If you want a good local ride watch the FL section for Roy Clark (Gainesville) to post. He knows every road in FL (worth riding) and well worth your time to tag along.
Not mountain riding, but not typical FL.

I have ridden extensively throughout Central America and can make suggestions, or offer contact information.

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Gary, small world! I was raised outside raleigh and all my family are still there---the corner of randolph/chatham/moore counties, a little town called bennett. I slab it up there or trailer up there and then ride west from there. My upcoming trip will be mt first bike trip virgina and north.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Welcome Kitesurfer.

Don't underestimate the Wee.

I came from a BMW 1150GS and the performance of the DL650 is close to the Beemer.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Gary, small world! I was raised outside raleigh and all my family are still there---the corner of randolph/chatham/moore counties, a little town called bennett. I slab it up there or trailer up there and then ride west from there. My upcoming trip will be mt first bike trip virgina and north.
Small indeed.

I forgot to mention that I lived in Cary for 15 years. Passed through your area many, many times.

I am planning on leaving on 6/30/11 headed to Cary, then on to Wytheville, VA for some sprockets, chain etc.

Will then end up in Blacksburg, VA for 1 night, then on to WV, ending up in the Philadelphia area at my sons house.

I was raised in the mountains in SW PA and will probably return to FL via the mountain range to the west of my northbound leg.

I went to school and lived in WV for about 10 years, so I am pretty familiar with the roads.

Remember to look for postings in the FL section by Roy (Roader06). You will enjoy his horse country ride.

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
too funny gary, i may be leaving that day too. still trying to figure out how to get there without riding in the heat. :)

planning on riding up to chatham county and spending the night. leave the next day for NY via west va and pennsy backroads. hoping to camp 50 miles or so north of seneca rocks and riding in the fair haven state park ny the next day. may even get a couple night camping, depending...return route will be different twisties back to NC and then the same-same 95 slab home, probably on july 9th.

and to rsromasoma...haha, you must be a kiter ? i don't buy new every year...but...i did buy 2 new kites last year and a new board...and a new kite this spring. but i fly foils so mine don't wear out like the LIE's do. but buying bikes and kites takes my spare change :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts