StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know how it is, you buy a item of kit and it just works for you, no issues, comfortable, looks good or whatever else makes you like wearing it. You wear it for miles and miles until it finally goes to the big wardrobe in the sky and you have to find a replacement as they don't make that particular item anymore.

For me its the Shoei Multitec. I loved that helmet. It fit like a glove, felt like the quality kit it was, was comfortable for a full day, well ventilated so didn't mist my glasses up and had a double D ring strap. I used it for 3 years and around 90,000 miles at least. My intercom and mic fitted beautifully and even the school radios and related kit fit in without adjustment.

I really miss that helmet. I replaced it with a Caberg Duke and then the Neotec but neither was as good. I was really disappointed with the Neotec. Didn't just work for me.

Now it's my TCX Baja Gore-tex boots. I love these. Waterproof, comfortable and well protected. They are lasting well so far and as I only average around 10,000 miles a year, and don't instruct at the moment so no walking around a tarmacked area running drill with learners wearing the soles out, I think they'll wear well. I am seriously looking at buying another pair for when they wear out or are damaged in an off and can't be resoled or repaired.

What kit are you going to miss when it finally needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hear you on the Shoei. I had an RF 900 about 20 years ago that fit me like it was built around my own head. Quiet, comfortable, and as I said, fit perfectly. Since then, I've owned a Qwest and an RF 1100, and tried on an RF 1200. Never since have I felt the magic.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
This is the story of every piece of gear ever. Seriously.

I wore HJC helmets for aeons. Incredible bang for the buck, great quality, great pricing, fit me wonderfully. Then they changed their internal shape drastically a few years back. Nothing they've sold since does anything but spark an instant migraine.

So I switched to Shoei. Same thing happened; changed the shapes for NO DAMN REASON and now they're pain factories.

After a lengthy search, I found a couple of Bell models that fit. I'm sure they'll get changed for NO DAMN REASON soon, and honestly I'm getting pretty antsy about finding a new helmet that works. COVID-19 makes trying on helmets seem like kind of a bad idea, so I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment. (And yes, I've tried to find an Arai that fit; my misshapen cranium drove an Arai salesman to near madness and tears as his guaranteed sale evaporated...)

And of course, every jacket and pair of pants seems to start out with well-fitting, waterproof, and robust, without a lot of delicate details and seams. And inevitably the model that works gets "upgraded" with stupid graphics, added leaky seams and snaggy pockets everywhere, changed fit, and obvious cost-cutting in lighter fabric and stitching. I've been lucky enough to catch a few clearances when the "good" model is discontinued, but many more times I've been unlucky and missed the boat.

Gloves come and go rapidly, so there's no telling what might fit from one moment to the next. Boots are a little more stable, although the "upgraded" models usually fall victim to cheapness and unwanted added intricacy.

The one thing I'm most upset by is that Lee Parks' TechSox were discontinued, and there is absolutely no replacement anywhere. I've tried to find these for years; you'd think the factory that made these would release them under some other name eventually, but so far no dice. You'd be amazed at what a game-changer these socks are... or were.

This is sort of Aerostich's schtick; their stuff doesn't change that much. Although yes, I've spent the money for Aerostich gear more than once, and been thoroughly unimpressed. Been there, done that, suffered through lots of soggy crotches.

Reactions: Stromation and Leon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, I'm with bwringer on that. Why do they change something that works so well?

I used to wear Sidi boots. For about 15 years it was the only brand that worked for me. I had the Couriers for everyday, their Vertigo for track days and a set of Canyons for really wet weather. Then bought the Adventure only to find that they had changed their shape and no longer fitted my foot shape.

I felt the same way as Oil Burner about my Shoei. Never getting that magic back and still looking for the ideal helmet.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
I've got a First Gear jacket that I bought 15+ years ago. It used to be their top of the line, above the Kilimanjaro. It was being closed out and I got for half price. Don't remember the model name.
Killer jacket, really warm with the liner in, usable up to 90° with it out, the Gore-Tex has remained totally waterproof, the pockets are perfect, and it has this zip-in neck gaiter triangle thingy that's awesome in cold weather. Best piece of M/C gear I've ever owned, by a lot. Dreading the day it needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Leon

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
Sometimes when you have a great thing perhaps it's best to buy the spare when they are still fresh and available. Like a lot of things you find at Costco. Buy it when you see it or you may never see it again.
I'm not so particular but there are a few things I'd like to still have that aren't available no mo.
Newest helmet is an LS2 Blaze. I liked a similar ADV helmet from Cycle Gear but the sizing was a bit on the loose side, The LS2 is much tighter so will need some breaking in. Oh, well!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have had a Shoei head for years. I am now wearing a Klim TK1200, is very comfortable. Wish it had D rings instead of buckle but not a deal breaker. My current jacket has been “updated” 3 times by its manufacture since I bought it, when it goes, I’m going have Aerostich make a Darian for me. Don’t think anyone does that affordably for helmets.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I will also say that I have an older Hein Gericke jacket that I loved. Wasn't listed as waterproof, but it shed the water pretty well anyway. Somehow, it didn't make me sweat in warm weather, and it kept me comfortable down to about 45 degrees without the liner, and probably 30 degrees with it zipped in. Man, I loved that jacket. Either it shrank (unlikely), or I expanded (definitely), but it's pretty tight now. The biggest problem, though, is the "graphics". It shows it's age, that's for sure. Maybe doesn't scream 90s, but it says it pretty loud.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Sometimes when you have a great thing perhaps it's best to buy the spare when they are still fresh and available. Like a lot of things you find at Costco. Buy it when you see it or you may never see it again.
I'm not so particular but there are a few things I'd like to still have that aren't available no mo.
Newest helmet is an LS2 Blaze. I liked a similar ADV helmet from Cycle Gear but the sizing was a bit on the loose side, The LS2 is much tighter so will need some breaking in. Oh, well!
I did exactly this with my Gerbings Cascade/EV heated gear, prompted by a slide down the road and a few scuffs on the original set. I wore out the next set and am back on to the originals. I just bought a bunch of replacement zipper pulls to rehab the old gear. Gotta replace the velcro too. And reseal some of the seams.

There's just nothing on the market that compares.

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
My original Gerbing jacket had wiring failures and after a couple three trips to the factory, on their dime back then, I got a new jacket on sale. I'm happy with that but the external wiring wears out and I don't think they warranty for life anymore. If it fails you have to buy new I guess. The input to the dual controller is intermittent. They seal over the screws that may allow me to do a wire-ectomy so i made give it a go. Or spend another $100 on a replacement. Oh, $69 now such a deal!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wore a Scorpion for several years, and I fit great. When I went to replace it, nothing fit. So, I called Scorpion customer service and asked the nice lady’s which new model would replace it. She politely said there was NO REPLACEMENT, in that helmet shape.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not really motorcycle specific, but that's my sunglasses. Adidas Evil Eye Pro. I've worn them for about 15 years, on my second pair. That weird insert behind the polycarbonate outer lens is a prescription lens. I've used these for squash, mountain biking, downhill skiing, motorcycling. They stayed on my face while I tumbled down 150 meters of ski run that I shouldn't have been on. The lenses withstood squash balls on the court and beetles on the motorcycle. Clear lenses for indoors, dark or amber for outside. Well vented so no fogging problems. Discontinued for years now, and I can't find anything comparable.

20210109_222124.jpg 20210109_222145.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Firstgear HT Overpants Shell. bought these about four years ago and have worn them in the fall, winter and spring every year. Comfortable, wind and rain proof with good protection (D30). Built in strong gators and rainproof zip to the hip. Bought them as over pants, but have found they are very warm with just a pair of Under Armour 4's in the coldest weather 25 - 40f. They still sell them, but have downgraded the material and the armor in order to lower the price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like my Tourmaster Flex II jacket so much I wore it out & bought a Flex III - identical, as far as I can tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts