StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start a war, I'm just asking a question.

How many km's to a tank do you get on a wee vs. vee.
I have been reading this forum for about 3 hours and don't know what to believe.

The reason for asking is I can get a new 07 vee or a 08 wee for the same price and want to decide which is better for my 200 km commute each day.

Please forgive me. I don't want to start a war I just want the answer to my question.

Thanks.
Brian.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The mileage can actually overlap between the two just depending on how you ride. Either one will go 200K/day with ease.
It comes down to how much of a HP/Torque junkie you personally are and if you subscribe to the theory that bigger is always better.
I have a hard enough time keeping my license with the 650 and the 1K is geared taller.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Kilos per tank

I get consistant mileage in the high 50 mpg range with the odd dip into the 60's if I'm just putzing around smelling the roses. I ride in the 60 - 70 mph range on the superslab and about the same on secondary roads. Real happy with the mpg compared with my last bike which had twice the engine capacity and 100 rwhp. The DL suits my riding style and pocketbook just fine, thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
07 Wee.

Around 400km before the reserve light starts flashing. At that point I need around 17-18 litres to refill.
I have run up to 450km without a fill.

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
My mileage varies most with the temperature and how much higher speed (400 series) riding I do on the tank, but if I recall correctly in warmer weather I usually fill up close to 400 km and have a decent reserve left, cooler weather might drop it to 350 km or so before I fill up. I think I have a tank or two that approached 450 km's and had some left to go.

..Tom

·
Registered
636 Posts
I get 300km on my Vee, that usually means I'm down to the last bar, 325km and the last bar starts flashing at me and I start worrying. I've calculated it out to be 37 - 38mpg if that helps any, I quit bothering since my riding is done for enjoyment and not as a primary means of travel.

V-Tom and myself have been on a few rides together, we usually keep a steady and healthy pace and I always have to stop for gas before him. I'm usually pretty consistant and might need gas at 290km or so riding with a old hooligan like V-Tom but it isn't too far off the 300km mark.

He teases me about my thirsty bike then I threaten to unleash all the pavement tearing ponies on him and he gets quiet and looks at the ground, kicks a bit of dirt around etc.

RAWR !

·
Registered
376 Posts
I usually get about 300 km on my Vee before the incessant flashing of the fuel bar scares me into filling up. I have gone 320 k and only put 18L in, so maybe my fuel guage is too conservative? While riding up by Huntsville with a group of sportbikes, I got as little as 220K. I find riding at >4000 RPM vs lugging it seems to make no difference in gas consumption, so I rarely use 6 gear (the vibes kill my hands at low rpm).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have managed several >400km tanks on my Wee, with the highest being 468km (the last 40 or so KM at a verrrry reduced speed whilst searching for a gas station).

Tanks consumed during mostly local riding: First warning flashing in the 315-340km range).

Average mileage on long trips (loaded down bike) is generally 56-58mpg.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
One way to look at it is that regardless of which DL you choose, the huge percentage of savings in fuel cost for the bike versus the car makes the variance in fuel cost between the two models insignificant.

Or; you'll save so damn much with either bike, who cares which one?

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
No.. you have that wrong. I just get bored waiting for you to fill up all the time.

..Tom

He teases me about my thirsty bike then I threaten to unleash all the pavement tearing ponies on him and he gets quiet and looks at the ground, kicks a bit of dirt around etc.

RAWR !

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
On my 06 Vee, I have, on a highway ride, got as much as 350km out of a tank. I'm usually filling up around 300km.
There's a big difference between highway riding and stop & go city riding.
If mileage is important to you and you do a lot of city commuting, you might think about the Wee b/c this is where the Vee burns a lot of fuel.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
One way to look at it is that regardless of which DL you choose, the huge percentage of savings in fuel cost for the bike versus the car makes the variance in fuel cost between the two models insignificant.
Actually it's nowhere near as much of a saving as you first think.
Consider that you will probably go through at least 8 motorcycle tyres if not more in the same mileage that it takes to go through one set of car tyres. If you rode a sports bike that could be more like 20 motorcycle tyres.
Consider that in many places motorcycle insurance costs more than car insurance.
Consider the cost involved in the purchase and updating of motorcycle safety gear compared to none required in a car.
Consider the generally more regular maintenance requirements of a motorcycle compared to a car.
You cannot compare fuel alone when comparing the cost of ownership.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Actually it's nowhere near as much of a saving as you first think.
Consider that you will probably go through at least 8 motorcycle tyres if not more in the same mileage that it takes to go through one set of car tyres. If you rode a sports bike that could be more like 20 motorcycle tyres.
Consider that in many places motorcycle insurance costs more than car insurance.
Consider the cost involved in the purchase and updating of motorcycle safety gear compared to none required in a car.
Consider the generally more regular maintenance requirements of a motorcycle compared to a car.
You cannot compare fuel alone when comparing the cost of ownership.
Thanks for taking the fun out of bike ownership

lol

but you have a point, I spend probably $20 a day or more on gas for the Wee, add in tires, chains, insurance...o geez...now I am depressed....thanks mate...

;)

Cheers

·
Registered
636 Posts
What are Aussies doing cruising the Canadian forum anyways? I don't give a rats arse what goes on down there.

As for a cheaper commute, my bike barely beats my car for gas mileage and when you factor in the tires you are on the losing side of the equation.

I will add this though, the 45 minute ride in to work down the 400 to Toronto is worth more than money can buy eventhough the destination sucks and it is a straight shot down the highway. The troubles of life seem to melt away once you get out of the city and that is worth everything.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
costs

kiwi is so correct , bikes cost way more per klm than a car , i have used bikes as comuters and they cost alot , my honda xlr needed a new rear tire and sprokets once a month when i rode it too work an hour each way one summer. now i live closer too work and ride my mountain bike too work as i need my v stroms tires and chain too last so i can enjoy it on weekends and holidays . pluss i feel guilty fireing the bike up for a five minite ride home from work at midnight

·
Registered
36 Posts
km per tank

if you ride a bike to save money , you got the wrong toy. sell the bike, your missing the point ,( the zuk dealer will give you a good price on a lawmower that gets 60 mpg )

i ride a 1000 strom . some days on the bike are good and other days are not so good , the fun factor is why i ride . i dont look at km per tank . ( as long as i get there from here . with the fun factor of 10 )
thats what its all about

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have sold me. I just bought a Vee, I can't help myself but I love power and the price was just too good. $4000.00 below msrp. That's cheaper than an 08 Wee.

Just a reminder to everyone on this forum. We all love our Strom's 650's and 1000's. It's not a competition between the two.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Grats on the bike, another Vee in our area is always a good thing.

Just a reminder to everyone on this forum. We all love our Strom's 650's and 1000's. It's not a competition between the two.
It's not a competition at all, I'd never be able to keep up to those Wee riders in a purse swinging contest and they'd never be able to match our testosterone count.

Cheers....

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
For those of us who use the Strom as a commuter, money is not the only factor in choosing to ride rather than drive. Each day, I save at least 30 minutes of commuting time by being able to use the HOV lane and riding the shoulder. On a bad traffic day I can save over an hour. That to me is worth the difference. And I'm in a way better mood when I get where I'm going.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
As good as place as any to wish all my fellow Canuck troopers (and even the odd Oz rider) a very Merry Christmas and a safe, prosperous New Year!

Cheers

Rick in MB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts