StromTrooper banner

Killboy Picture at the Gap

5K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  KimPower 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Newb chimes in

Is it me or perhaps the angle of this pic that makes the lean angle look really shallow? Is it the combination of the weight of the passenger, the addition of the center stand and/or engine guard?

I dont own a strom yet but I am considering one and this picture concerns me a little.....but then again it could just be the camera perspective that makes it looks like a slight lean.

What say you?

#6 ·
Is it me or perhaps the angle of this pic that makes the lean angle look really shallow? Is it the combination of the weight of the passenger, the addition of the center stand and/or engine guard?

I dont own a strom yet but I am considering one and this picture concerns me a little.....but then again it could just be the camera perspective that makes it looks like a slight lean.

What say you?
+1. I thought so as well. Looks like the center stand. I have a center stand but have never scraped in a turn and my two up weight is more then these two. Maybe they are compressing the suspension in a harder turn. Any way, it's nice photo.

#5 ·
I think it's the belly pan -- it looks like the sparks originate ahead of the center stand. The suspension does look pretty compressed front and rear.

#9 ·
I agree. Definitely looks like the pan is on the ground.

That's an awesome picture though. If it were me I'd buy it.

#11 ·
Not sure which turn he's in, it could be Gravity Cavity. There are several turns in the dragon that dip into a bowl and will compress your suspension fairly hard as you go through.

#12 ·
Not to rain on the parade, but not a great riding gear combination for aggressive riding. Nice helmet, nice looking leather jacket (might even have some armor maybe?), and then jeans with sneakers?! :confused: Would have been a GREAT pcture otherwise.

I had an off at 45 mph in February and very, very, very thankful that I had ATGATT. Not a single scratch, but some memorable bruises although.

My humble 0.02$

#18 ·
Not to rain on the parade, but not a great riding gear combination for aggressive riding. Nice helmet, nice looking leather jacket (might even have some armor maybe?), and then jeans with sneakers?! :confused: Would have been a GREAT pcture otherwise.
I wasn't going to say it, but I'm not real impressed with his footwear. I'm guilty of wearing jeans a lot though. I do need to do some shopping for pants.

#13 ·
you guys are killing me talking about this picture, our proxy server at work blocks it! :cry:

#17 · (Edited)
I think I might buy the picture myself and claim it's me.

Only problem, my wife would ask who is the woman on the back, because she would have reached over for the kill switch long before I got to try anything like that.

Will aluminum spark like that?
Maybe Killboy Photoshops the sparks in to sell photos?

Nice shot though.

And for anyboy who can't view the photo at work; they're real and spectacular.

#21 ·
Yeah, aluminum will spark quite a bit. This is my right peg feeler at the gap two weeks ago.http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0QAK003U030152&po=152
I need to replace the left 'cause I only get about an 1/8" of an inch warning before the centerstand hits. That will make ya pucker when the rear gets levered up.
I ride aggressive two up quite a bit with the stock suspension(correct sag)set at stiff touring settings it won't scrape pegs unless your pushing it.
It's hard to tell how hard he's riding with just a photo of a split second in time. I will have to aggree that the lack of pants and boots, especially on the pillion would not be a wise decision in my opinion,but hey that's worth what ya paid for it.

#20 ·
Cool pic for sure......not real sure I would ride like that 2 up though. As for scraping hard bits on the road, I have never done it. I really crank up the front and rear suspension, and YES I ride plenty aggressive.;)

#22 ·
sorry but aluminum will not spark when in contact with the ground. It could be any number of steel bits though. I do know one thing when I have a passanger on my strom that I am responsable for, I will not be taking to many risks. On the street it is hard enough to keep myself safe from other idiots in cages, never mind a passenger. Keep the ahrd riding for track days...

#23 ·
He wouldn't happen to have a set of lowering links on perhaps? It does seem to be scrapping much sooner than it normlly would.

#24 ·
I'll bet you're right. The lean angle doesn't seem like much, and the real tip off is the swingarm. Actually looks like it has a negative angle. I'd be surprised if that was possible with the stock linkage.

#25 ·
I never put photos like this on the web... too many people like us critique it.

By the way, the bike is leaning too much and the riders too little... if he had tried to "kiss the mirror" he would not have sparked.

I would buy the photos too...

#26 ·
I got the stock centerstand and I've leaned until the chicken strips are at the edges and I have not touched down anywhere. Mind you my bike is still new and I'm not riding with a passenger.

I've found where you usually touch down is a high spot on the road, a crown in a corner for example.

I can see the centerstand in this photo is in the air, maybe that bellypan is steel? Ii doesn't look leaned enough to touch the footpeg, I'm thinking a mounting bolt on the bellypan is steel, ya that's it!

In any case yes the suspension is fully loaded and should be firmed up or replaced. Maybe time to change the fork fluid and get a new shock.

#28 ·
I lowered my bike 3/4" so I could touch the ground firmly. I drag my centerstand often in high speed, high compression turns when I am solo and I drag it way to much when I am two up. I have the suspension at maximum firmness. Which IMHO doesn't change things much. I am about 220 and the wife is (lets say) over 150. She'll never read this.
It has never upset my line, but I don't like it and am thinking of getting rid of it (the stand). Either that or I need to upgrade the suspension, hmmm, more farkle? Does anyone have suggestions for firming things up? The wife and I are working on our assets, but I could use help with the bike.

#29 ·
Does anyone have suggestions for firming things up? The wife and I are working on our assets, but I could use help with the bike.
I'm not sure what to make of this.

Are talking diet and exercise?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.