StromTrooper banner

Kill switch, normal operation?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  blaustrom 
#1 ·
I want to confirm the normal operation of the kill switch. When the bike is on, and you hit the kill switch, for me CHECK is displayed on the dash and the headlights stay ON. Should the kill switch be killing my headlights as well?

Currently having an issue with my 2006, dl650. When I push the starter, nothing happens. This has been happening on and off. Headlights cut out, but the bike doesn't turn over. I ruled on the clutch sensor as the bike wont start even if I connect the contacts. So, I think my issue is in the starter/kill switch.

#3 ·
Yes that is normal operation, and you very likely have the dreaded shorted out/burned up contacts in the switch housing. The headlights run through the starter switch assembly, that is too much current for the wiring and it goes beyond that as well. This is a very well known issue, please see the following thread and there are many others......... http://www.stromtrooper.com/northwest/63798-headlights-out.html

#4 ·
It's normally the headlight contacts in the start switch that develop problems rather than the starter relay contacts. The headlights carry a lot more current than the starter relay. Your problem is unusual as 99% of the problems with no crank and no CHEC displayed involve the clutch lever switch. If a CHEC is displayed, the kill switch or side stand switch are the usual culprits. When the start switch isn't working, you can try shorting together the two large lugs on the starter relay. If that doesn't start the starter motor, your problem is the motor or connection somewhere in the large starter system cables.

#6 ·
Check that large connector in the front left fairing to make sure there are no burned or brown spots indicating overheating.

Check the battery terminal connections to make sure they are clean and tight, same for the ground connection at the other end, engine

Other than that listen to what Graywolf is saying!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.