StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a half-assed search ("kid protective", I think) and didn't like any of the hits.

My 13-year-old likes riding with me, but I hesitate taking him on anything more significant than around the block because of his protective gear. He's got a great First Gear jacket with all the armor and pretty good gloves, but regular hiking boots and motocross pants. The pants would probably go away in a good slide, but I figure not as fast as Levi's.

Since I've not yet done a diligent search on what's out there, my solution has been to keep telling him, "Next time". That makes me feel terrible just writing it.

Any wisdom on how to dress a growing kid for good street protection without going broke?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We should have a smilie of a cricket chirping.

Let me reword:

Does anyone take their kids on rides? If so, what do they wear for leg and foot protection?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, how about:

"Does anyone have a fundamental problem with taking kids on street rides?"

Bump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am planning to eventually take them. But they are too small (2 and 5).
I have seen some kids protective gear at a store here but did not look that much into it.

In some European countries there is legislation for minimum age on motorcycles (as passengers) - 12 years is one example I know of.

Are there any US states, Canadian provinces regulating the minimum age for motorcycle passengers?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My grandson is not quite old enough yet, but I have thought about this a little. How about using hockey protective gear if he is already in that or other sports that require gear? In any case there is a lot of really inexpensive gear at Walmart etc. (skateboard, mx bike and the like) and a lot of this gear is available 2nd hand as kids grow out of it fast. Get a good helmet to complete the deal. (check out the kids dirt bike tracks for used helmets if you need very low cost)
I remember the first time my uncle took me out on his Harley. I thought we were doing a 100mph, turns out it was 25 so take it easy, the little guy will be easily impressed :yikes:

·
Registered
335 Posts
"Does anyone have a fundamental problem with taking kids on street rides?"
My fundamental problem is that I am conflicted. I want to take the kid on the street but I just can't bring myself to do it.

He already has most of the necessary gear to ride his JR50. The problem is that there is so much room in the pillion area of the Strom, even my wife commented on how she doesn't feel as secure as she did on the Harley.

In Arizona, there are no regulations concerning the age of or quantity of MC passengers. Just that they have to have a helmet under the age of 21.

Note in the photo below, these two squids have sandwiched their child between them. Whether or not she's safe in a crash, she'll be dead from asphyxiation before too long.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Note in the photo below, these two squids have sandwiched their child between them. Whether or not she's safe in a crash, she'll be dead from asphyxiation before too long.
:jawdrop:
And I thought that happens only in some forgotten corners of the world...

As someone smarter than me said:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember the first time my uncle took me out on his Harley. I thought we were doing a 100mph, turns out it was 25 so take it easy, the little guy will be easily impressed :yikes:
No worries with that. He's a better rider than me in the dirt, and when he rides with me, he leans with me in the turns. He's a natural.

Maybe I'll stop worrying about it so much. It's not like he has never slid before, and he is a hell of a lot more resilient than me. We got a new street helmet from Cycle Gear that was on the clearance rack because someone brought it back - $40. Normally $120. Didn't have any evidence of damage. I don't think heads grow that fast. We also got him a First Gear jacket that was on a clearance rack with full CE armor, and it is just slightly sloppy on him. Dirt gloves, motocross pants, and hiking boots finishes off the outfit.

He's skinny as a rail. His waist size is usually the one that shows up in the "available list" when pants go on clearance, so I'm hoping to snag a closeout in his waist size and maybe take them to the cleaners down the street to adjust them a little.

Maybe we should have a special section in the Marketplace for kids hand-me-downs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the child is young you may want to give this a look. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=2240.0 from VSRI post and a linc to the product.
Not quite that small (he's a tall 13-year-old), but I love that product. When you first see it, it sure makes you wonder if it's safe. I'm thinking though, in this inherently risky activity, this is probably actually safer (for them, that is). If you slide, just get on your face and have them ride you like a sled!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kids gear

I would check out motocross gear. You can get armor sets that will grow with him and can be worn under or over clothing. chest protectors with attached Shoulder and elbow pads, knee and shin guards, etc. my son started riding with me at 5. I had to mount higher foot pegs for him and it was hard to find a helmet to fit, but we got it done.

Ride safe, Wayne

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would check out motocross gear. You can get armor sets that will grow with him and can be worn under or over clothing.
I'm headed to Burt's Mega Mall today (a big motorcycle store south of me). They've got a huge selection. Maybe I can pick out kid's offroad pants with some plastic in the slide areas. Not so worried about bruises as I am about lost skin. And some high-top leather work boots from Wal-Mart should be acceptable for the feet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point.

That's EXACTLY what I bought this afternoon at wal-mart. All-leather, steel toe. Wal-Mart's good for returns, though.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have three kids. My two oldest are my daughters who just happen to be able to wear the same gear that my wife wears (Save for the jacket, my wife won't get caught in pink).

The girls have a Cortech Pink jacket. I bought a pair of Firstgear TPG pants for my youngest daughter before our 3 day Northern New England tour. They are really too long for her, but the knee pads hit her just right. My oldest & my wife can wear the pants also.

Here's a shot of us in Vermont from our tour.

They all fit into a single HJC helmet (for now), CL-12 I believe. I've got it wired up to work with my Autocom intercom, which helps on long rides.

I take them out a lot. This year each of them will get to go on a 2 or 3 day tour with me, plus a tour or two with the wife.

My son, however, is a very small 9. I really want to get him on the bike, but his feet don't reach the pegs after I upgraded my seat with a Russell Day Long, I will either build some extension blocks or wait until next year for him.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Be careful, DO NOT pick one with the steel toe reinforcement. If that gets squished by something in an accident it will cut the little piggies off.
I wouldn't worry about that...IMHO, any impact/crush that will crush the steel toe would have already obliterated unprotected toes.

I take my kids and have our first multi-day trip with my oldest daughter (11) scheduled in June. I'm mostly concerned with the head and the hands...a good helmet and gloves. She also has a nice armored jacket and sturdy boots. My logic flows like this: the consequences of a serious injury to head or hands are an unacceptable risk. PERIOD. Lower body injuries, while serious, won't be life threatening. So, we take prudent precautions (boots and heavy pants). We will upgrade to better gear when we can find it, but we're not going to miss the opportunity to build memories while we wait for perfect head-to-toe M/C gear. She already wears more than I did when I was riding with my dad...

Next, we've got to get some dirt bikes so they can start riding themselves!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I would worry about that...IMHO, any impact/crush that will crush the steel toe would have already obliterated unprotected toes.
I agree with both of you. I'm so confused! (I take it you meant "wouldn't worry")

I work with a guy who blurts out random "truths" without much thought. One day, he offered that safety was of prime concern no matter what the cost. We asked him if he led his life like that, to which he predictably replied, "Absolutely!" We asked if he had a 5-point harness in his car, or if he wore a helmet while driving on the freeway. End of conversation.

I got the steel toe boot on purpose. I wear them myself, though admittedly hadn't thought of the specific situation where it would come in handy. Mostly for abrasion or if I get run over, but how lucky would I be if the only thing the car ran over was my toe?

No conclusions here. Just rambling.

Edit: At the risk of sounding like Jerry Springer at the end of one of his gems, here's a conclusion: Safety causes a lot of discussion, mostly people arguing their philosophy or admonishing someone else for theirs. Human instinct, I think. But everyone would probably agree there's nothing you can do to mitigate all risk. I think it necessarily follows that there's no right answer, only varying degrees of wrong. I think if our #1 goal was to attain the highest age before we die, we wouldn't be doing this activity or a multitude of others we do, like eating hot dogs. It's scary to think that one incident in your favorite activity could wipe you out (or worse!), but it is scarier to think of laying on your death bed at 100 years old, thinking about all the things you wanted to do but didn't because of the risk.

I've become comfortable with my kid's protection since starting this thread. Thanks, everyone, for helping me unwrap myself from the axle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My biggest worry was my younger kids falling off so I ended up with a snowmobile harness system that straps the child to myself but it takes another person to hook it up while both sit on the bike. We used to bump helmets once in a while too, lol. Young kids seem to be able to fall asleep very easily with the vibes. The only way a child is falling off wearing this is if you do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts