StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi riders, I have 2009 Vstrom 650 and problem with kickstand. To me it looks like the plate on kickstand is in wrong angle. When bike is standing on kickstand, the plate is touching ground only in small area, not whole plate. On warm days it is digging into asphalt and then it falls down. Anybody else had that problem? Any idea how to deal with it?
Thanx

·
Registered
5,300 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi riders, I have 2009 Vstrom 650 and problem with kickstand. To me it looks like the plate on kickstand is in wrong angle. When bike is standing on kickstand, the plate is touching ground only in small area, not whole plate. On warm days it is digging into asphalt and then it falls down. Anybody else had that problem? Any idea how to deal with it?
Thanx
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Road surface

A photo may help.

Most strom owners put on a larger foot to stop the sinking.

Suzuki Side Stand Foot - AdventureTech, LLC.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Road surface

A photo may help.

Most strom owners put on a larger foot to stop the sinking.

Suzuki Side Stand Foot - AdventureTech, LLC.
I bought larger foot too, but I wonder if I can make it straight too, otherwise problem persist.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I modified mine for a better angle:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I modified mine for a better angle:
thanx for suggestion, well documented, but if I grind the arm, it will create even sharper angle, I need to go the other way. If I weld something on in order to go other way, then there is danger that wind, kids, animals, ... can push my bike little forward and it will fold kickstand.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your kick stand looks different then mine and any pictures I can find on the net.
the distance from the pad touching the ground and the loop you step on to lower the kick stand is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches, yours looks closer then that.

has your bike been lowered and the kick stand shortened?
Bicycle part Wood Bumper Automotive wheel system Gas

has
Bicycle tire Bicycle Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle chain

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your kick stand looks different then mine and any pictures I can find on the net.
the distance from the pad touching the ground and the loop you step on to lower the kick stand is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches, yours looks closer then that.

has your bike been lowered and the kick stand shortened? View attachment 302034

has View attachment 302033
You are right, there is less than an inch. I bought it used from bike dealer 4 years ago. Now I remember him saying something about that it was lowered before. They raised it back after. Maybe they forgot about kickstand? But angle of bike looks normal. Any idea how to deal with that?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
You are right, there is less than an inch. I bought it used from bike dealer 4 years ago. Now I remember him saying something about that it was lowered before. They raised it back after. Maybe they forgot about kickstand? But angle of bike looks normal. Any idea how to deal with that?
You can maybe heat up the foot weld with a torch and then bend the foot a little. Not sure if it would weaken the weld?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
You can maybe heat up the foot weld with a torch and then bend the foot a little. Not sure if it would weaken the weld?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking about heating it and bend it, or cut it off and re-weld it. But if I think about it - whole bike weight is on one stand - all that work, heat, .. would it not weaken the stand?

·
Registered
123 Posts
That doesn't look like the original kickstand, nor does it look like a stand that was made for your bike. Here's what the original looks like (it's a completely different foot and as mentioned above, the U-shaped arm is not in the same position):

My guess is that when whoever replaced the lowering kit didn't have the original kickstand, looked in their spare parts box, saw this stand and thought "this outta work".

You could try heating and bending it but because it needs to be twisted, it may not be the easy to get it right and it may weaken it. Would be easier to cut of the foot and reweld a new one to it. If you go this route, I suggest taking to a fabricating shop and have them do it. This is not however, what I would do.

I'd look for another stock stand because that one, at some point, is going to cause you some grief if not fixed - partsfish.com lists the stand at $117.16 US but you may be able to find an original stock one at a local bike wrecker or maybe post on this site that you're looking for one - someone on this site must have one kicking around. Can't imagine it would cost much to ship.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Easy evening project if you weld, if not find a neighbor and pay a gratuity and lastly pay a welding shop.

You could add a short piece to the leg to level the pad and the bike should not Be to upright.
ebay has a a couple;

This one need the foot welded on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Easy evening project if you weld, if not find a neighbor and pay a gratuity and lastly pay a welding shop.

You could add a short piece to the leg to level the pad and the bike should not Be to upright.
ebay has a a couple;

This one need the foot welded on
It looks to me that welding on piece to the pad at right angle would be fastest, most cost effective. Thanx for idea.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,569 Posts
If you are going to cut and weld make the new foot bigger that the original. Also with my 2010 I felt uncomfortable that the bike might roll forward off the stand and so ground the stop with a grinder to move the foot further forward.

·
Registered
2012 650 Adventure
23 Posts
That doesn't look like the original kickstand, nor does it look like a stand that was made for your bike. Here's what the original looks like (it's a completely different foot and as mentioned above, the U-shaped arm is not in the same position):

My guess is that when whoever replaced the lowering kit didn't have the original kickstand, looked in their spare parts box, saw this stand and thought "this outta work".

You could try heating and bending it but because it needs to be twisted, it may not be the easy to get it right and it may weaken it. Would be easier to cut of the foot and reweld a new one to it. If you go this route, I suggest taking to a fabricating shop and have them do it. This is not however, what I would do.

I'd look for another stock stand because that one, at some point, is going to cause you some grief if not fixed - partsfish.com lists the stand at $117.16 US but you may be able to find an original stock one at a local bike wrecker or maybe post on this site that you're looking for one - someone on this site must have one kicking around. Can't imagine it would cost much to ship.
The lowering theory was my first thought as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts