StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
modified the kickstand on my '18 Strom 650XA for a more positive lock and more lean. I suggest to grind the actual kickstand arm, rather then grinding the small stoppers and making them even smaller and weak.
Happy with the end result, now the springs are really holding the kickstand in "open position", and you have to apply decent force to "close it", the way it should have been done by Suzuki. It takes about 7 lbs of force to close it now, before it was almost closing by itself.
Attached pictures are self explanatory for anybody interested in doing the same mod.
Auto part Engine

Finger Wire

Auto part

Revolver

Grass

Grass Plant Bicycle part

Saw chain Floor Plant Flooring

Gauge Measuring instrument Meter

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Nicely documented. You should work in a testing Lab?

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did that about a week after I got my 08 650 & it rolled ahead about 2" & fell over :rolleyes:
Hard to believe Suz would continue that model so many yrs with-out addressing that little glitch!
I agree, and in general motorcycle kickstands are a joke, kind of like "elephant on high heels" analogy, just accident waiting to happen. I am surprised that in the last 100yrs nobody could design something better. I had high hopes when Honda and Yamaha introduced the self balancing bikes, but it was just a show-off.
Sorry to hear about the drop :rolleyes:

Reactions: rattlinjack

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
I did that about a week after I got my 08 650 & it rolled ahead about 2" & fell over :rolleyes:
Hard to believe Suz would continue that model so many yrs with-out addressing that little glitch!
How did it roll forward? parked it in Neutral?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, good looking bolt-on side stand foot!

I assume the bike leans over a little more than it otherwise would now. I wonder if this might be helpful for people who lowered their bike and find the side stand a little long afterwards.

Thoughts?
Thank you, yes it should help when bike is lowered, also one could grind maybe another 1/8" more then i did for even more forward and bike lean, but anything after that would become too much stress on the kickstand hinge I think.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am surprised the jiffy stand concept is not more prevalent. Makes sense to me. Side stand design like many things in motorcycling presumes the user accepts and recognizes the risks. I have not dropped one off the stand but there have been enough situations to keep me on my game. The other good thing I find motorcyclists are not too judgmental unless you are really doing something unencumbered by the thought process. kfh000

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am surprised the jiffy stand concept is not more prevalent. Makes sense to me. Side stand design like many things in motorcycling presumes the user accepts and recognizes the risks. I have not dropped one off the stand but there have been enough situations to keep me on my game. The other good thing I find motorcyclists are not too judgmental unless you are really doing something unencumbered by the thought process. kfh000
I had to Google "Jiffy stand", never knew it existed, must be a Harley thing only? Watched the video and it's a clever design, the weight of the bike is keeping the kickstand locked in "open position", have to agree much better then the conventional design. (y)

Reactions: Vector6

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I agree, and in general motorcycle kickstands are a joke, kind of like "elephant on high heels" analogy, just accident waiting to happen. I am surprised that in the last 100yrs nobody could design something better. I had high hopes when Honda and Yamaha introduced the self balancing bikes, but it was just a show-off.
Sorry to hear about the drop :rolleyes:
Hard to improve a stick.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hard to improve a stick.
I am not so sure about that. Humans are pretty creative individually and collectively. Will the artificial mind be even more creative someday? Here is a thought. Bombard Earth with light and heat for say 5 billion years and all of a sudden it starts sending things off to other places. How? Why/? What is going on there? Who da thunk? If it lasts another 5 billion years who knows what happens. Might even improve the stick?

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Jiffy Stand:

Had several Moto Guzzi Tonti's with them. 3/4" solid steel about 18" long weighted about as much as Buick. It true you could push the bike over with e D9 dozer. My 1972 Eldorado had a stubby side stand. that was a death trap. It pointed forward and was just long enough to be about 1" off the ground when the bike was held upright. With no safety switch if you took off the 1st left hand turn you made the foot would contact the road and sick like a pole-vaulters pole and the good times were about a millisecond away.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hard to improve a stick.
that's a problem, people are stuck on "stick" design, somebody has to start thinking "out of the box" and find a better (and safer) way to support the motorcycle when parked.

Was that you in 1973 that said; "there's no F**** way we can improve this mobile phone"....🤣😂😜
and look at the mobile phones now..... if there is a will and money to be made "anything" can get improved (y)

Forehead Technology Gadget Electronic device

Reactions: Nighthawk650inNJ

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Good god, what are you people doing that you are dumping bikes off of the side stand?

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
that's a problem, people are stuck on "stick" design, somebody has to start thinking "out of the box" and find a better (and safer) way to support the motorcycle when parked.

Was that you in 1973 that said; "there's no F**** way we can improve this mobile phone"....🤣😂😜
and look at the mobile phones now..... if there is a will and money to be made "anything" can get improved (y)
It seems there is no or at least very little "will" and probably even less "money" to be made.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Absolutely no way would I remove any material from that area. That is the side stand's weakest point. Those 2 tangs eventually get spread apart and the side stand will lean the bike even more.
Did I mentioned that I mount my bike while still on a kickstand, by stepping on my left foot peg and then throwing my right leg over the bike, adding a couple of hundred pounds on those "2 tangs" no problem whatsoever, there is still enough "meat" on those tangs to carry 500lbs, even after grinding some off.
Also you understand that only a portion of the bike weight is supported by the kickstand, while the two tires carry about 80% of the bike weight, when resting on kickstand.

I challenge some metal machinists to chime in, please ?

Reactions: rattlinjack
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.