Strom Trooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anybody else has had this problem. Twice now I've had a rock bounce up off the road and hit the side kickstand switch. And both times have broken it, killing the engine right away. This happened once on the highway and once on a side road on my way home from work. I was none to impressed. Once this is broken you can't start the bike again. The first time this happened I traced the wires back to the plug, cut them and spliced them together to get the bike running. I had to do this because it was another 20km home. The second time I just used the pigtail that I made from the last time. Can you redesign the switch location or should \i just get the skid plats? Will thess cover the switch, or should \i carry this pigtail with me always?

·
Registered
467 Posts
You should be able to start your bike without the kickstand switch. The tests being
clutch out AND in-gear AND kickstand down = kill (spark disabled)
clutch out = ignition disabled

So you could start the bike, you just can't go anywhere without the kickstand switch.

I too would like to see something less disabling. Seems like the clutch/gear/stand combination causes the red-light to glow on the dash (though that could just be indicating the engine is not running). It would be nice if the kickstand switch just made that red center-of-instruments light glow. Sure it's nice to have the kickstand be part of the checklist built into the smarts of the bike. But I don't think it's necessary to wire it in as an immobilizer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts