StromTrooper banner

Kick stand wire routing

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Tsastini 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
Just got my bike back from the shop for a new rectifier. Shop had the bike for a month and must have forgot the simple things. Rode home and smelled burning plastic. Far as I can tell it’s just the insulation on the kick stand sensor which was loose and and unsecured. Everywhere I think it goes is hot from the engine so I’m unsure where I’m supposed to route this. The built in wire stay isn’t securing anything at this point at the top.
Any help would be great, burning plastic isn’t fun.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, that's how it's routed. Tightly along the engine case, just left of the clutch slave cylinder. If you have any excess wire, just make a loop out of it and put it underneath that bendy clip that's in the top of your picture.

The engine case should not become so hot as to melt or burn plastic. If there's a smell of something burning then it must be something different. Could be that a bit of oil was dripped onto the exhaust while draining. This normally burns off within a few minutes, but the smell and smoke might be a bit disconcerting if you don't know where it's coming from.

Compliments on the cleanliness of the bike BTW. Mine looks significantly more grimy.

#3 ·
Bottom of the second picture where the wire appears dirty is where it burned, maybe on the clutch slave but I’m unsure as maybe my foot pinned it there. First ride in over a month and I rode spiritedly keeping the engine at 5k rpm through most the hour ride home. Only smelled it at a stoplight and when I got home, no smoke and the wire is the only thing I found.
Thanks, I do what I can to keep it clean!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.