StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new StromTrooper here

Wondering what angle your bike leans at?

Mine is just under 12 degrees and when I parked on a very gently sloping downhill road on the right hand side, I was surprised how tippy my bike was.

If you send through a photo of your bike, I can estimate your lean angle using some technology...

Here's a couple bikes I've seen in other forums and what they say: 21 deg: too much lean; 17 deg: seems ok; my bike at under 12 deg: super tippy on a slight downhill.

My bike.. bit tippy

Someone else's bike... too much lean

Someone else's bike... just right?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
your bike may have been lowered, post up pictures of the dogbones. They should have a stamp on them that says 06G

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
The second and 3rd pictures are a bit odd, as it appears that the handle bars are straight, rather than full lock to the left to get the most stable position.

Kickstand on the second picture looks weird - points very straight out

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Handle bar at full lock to the left, as recommended, plus leave the bike in 1st gear when parked. This will prevent the bike from rolling forward while on the side stand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine was lowered when I got it. I had to stand the bike straight up to get the kickstand down, and I would get basically no lean until I took my weight off the seat and it stood up a bit. With the shock extended, it was a bit upright but felt stable to me.

Now I've raised it back up and it has a normal lean, almost too much lean. But probably only because I was used to the previous setup.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Looks like the OP bike was lowered and still retains the stock sidestand. If you like the height of the bike in its current state swing by I'll cut out a 1/2 inch of the stand reweld the foot back on, rattle can gloss black paint job and in 30 minutes you'll be on you way.

To find lout exactly how much to trim the side stand to get the angle you desire use thing piece of wood (luan works great as its 1/4" think) under the tires and put the bike on the side stand. If one layer under the wheels is not enough lean angle stack on another piece and try again. The thickness of the wood is the amount you cut off the side. This method also works if you need o cut the center stand down. You want the front wheel resting on the wood and rear tire 1 to 1-1/4" above the wood.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Here is mine with all cases, not lowered, just a side stand foot
1C738F11-ECD1-4BDF-820A-EE02E61CCC76.jpeg

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My 2016, all stock. Have a 1/8" plastic puck under the kickstand.
(Glare on license plate not intentional, I'm not paranoid. )

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd say mine's about like photo #3. I always leave it in first when parked but I never bother turning my handlebars full left.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
In photo 2 it looks to me that the stand protrudes further forward,

When a bike is lowered often the way they get around the long stand is they grind some off the stop, this allows the stand to swing further forward, that makes it shorter.

The problem is the stand is not shorter so to deploy the stand they must first lean the bike to the right first.

The good part of that system is with a couple of spot welds on the stop it can quickly be put back to normal and if they grind down the stand stop not the frame stop it's even easier to make right.

You could do that to get some more lean on your bike or crank on some preload to the rear shock.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In photo 2 it looks to me that the stand protrudes further forward,

When a bike is lowered often the way they get around the long stand is they grind some off the stop, this allows the stand to swing further forward, that makes it shorter.

The problem is the stand is not shorter so to deploy the stand they must first lean the bike to the right first.

The good part of that system is with a couple of spot welds on the stop it can quickly be put back to normal and if they grind down the stand stop not the frame stop it's even easier to make right.

You could do that to get some more lean on your bike or crank on some preload to the rear shock.

It's a 5 minute job with a Dremel disk attachement. Quick results, remember to grind both the internal and external stops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright! Thank you for photos..

Here's the results of my hard core geometric analysis (allow +/- 50% error!!):

Bike 1 comes in at 11 degrees.. but I wouldn't trust the result as I don't have a very good reference point of the plane of the road to work off, but there you go:

Bike 2 comes in at just under 14 degrees:

Bike 3 comes in at 14 and a half degrees. The pannier is at 15 and a half degrees - so it's very close to that pretty nifty measurement device OldJeep has

1596307415428.png 1596307480936.png 1596307539455.png 1596307615736.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your bike may have been lowered, post up pictures of the dogbones. They should have a stamp on them that says 06G
I'll look around for this
Here's my dogbones... I see no stamping. They are exactly 6" between pins/bolts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's my dogbones... I see no stamping. They are exactly 6" between pins/bolts.
From other forums apparently standard dogbones are 140 mm (5.5")... so my bike might have been lifted?

My kickstand looks kinda stock. It measures about 10" from pin to ground along the length of the steel.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
So it looks like, without the plastic puck under the stand, I would come in at 14+. Should be safe enough.
Thanks for the measurement.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

2012 V1000
Maximum rear preload
Hockey puck attached to the bottom of the kickstand foot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
View attachment 275657
2012 V1000
Maximum rear preload
Hockey puck attached to the bottom of the kickstand foot
hey ya go - this one's hard to say as I don't have a clear reference for vertical or ground, so i tried to extrapolate from the stool and electrical outlet in the background! Yours seems to be standard:

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
Just checked my 04 Wee and with 1 1/4" of extruded spacer and an larger plastic plate bolted to the bottom of the foot it's still 18 degrees.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts