StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on how to stop the other keys on my key ring from scuffing the triple tree? All I've got on there is a key fob garage door opener. If I let it dnagle, it flips around in the updraft in front of the tree and bounces off the triple tree. If I tuck it between the handlebar and the triple tree, the vibration leaves a mark.

Any idea how to stop it from scuffing? Does anyone sell an applique like a tank protector that would protect it from my keys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D'OH!!! I've seen that thread hundreds of times, but I didn't remember seeing the triple tree protectors... Guess I blocked it from my brain somehow...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
About once every 4 or 5 months I just wipe the area down with an metal parts cleaner. It looks like new and does not harm the finish....at least not yet.

Worse case scenario you have that nice "used" look that is hard to find on all those chrome cruisers. :D

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
dsm_rally thanks for the plug.

gijoecam, I replied to your PM. I can do either color triple-clamp cover you want.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have the keys on a carabiner and just unclip the rest and leave them in a pocket or somewhere else.
I've tried that with other vehicles without much luck. Too many different sets of keys to keep track of, and it seemed like I never had the key I needed... and the 'main' key ring had WAY too many keys on it. (For example, there's no point in carrying the key for the hitch on the truck while I'm on the motorcycle, or the camper key while I'm in the Explorer) Now, I keep all of that particular vehicle's keys on its own vehicle-specific key ring. Each one has a house key, each has a garage door opener, and if I'm driving that vehicle, I know I've got every key I need for it.

Right now, the motorcycle key only has the fob on it... But I plan to pick up a cable lock and a topcase shortly (birthday is coming up) so I'll be adding at least two keys there, and I need to add a house key since our garage door opener started acting whonky this week.

Speedstar, will be in touch shortly. :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i do that exact same thing. all vehicles have their own key ring. the bike key goes on a karabiner (sp) key ring. all other keys (house, boxes...) go on the key ring on the karabiner. the bike key is on the key ring i got from the dealer and clips into the karabiner. when i go to start the bike i take the key and ring off the karabiner and clip the rest of my keys to my belt loop. now, only the bike key with rubber dongle key ring is on the bike.

P.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I was told by the salesman at the dealership to never insert the M/C key into the ignition key slot while it is on a key ring with other keys because it would eventually wear out the ignition key slot.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Here's a thought...have your bike key on its own ring...with maybe a rubber key fob to make finding it easy? :cool:

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
My new C14 doesn't have a real key....although what it has does stay on the bike "all the time".:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hated it.

My new C14 doesn't have a real key....although what it has does stay on the bike "all the time".:cool:
My HD didn't use a key, just a big switch you could lock with a cylinder key. I can't tell you how many times I rode to the gas station only to get there and not have the key to open the tank.:var_52:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That was the one thing I liked about my old Kaw cruiser, you put the key in, turned it on, and took the key out, finally someone got it right! As a side note, when you stopped and turned it off you had to use the key again to turn on. I just use a seperate ring for my bike, but even now it has a Givi key on it also? Cheers-BB

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That was the one thing I liked about my old Kaw cruiser, you put the key in, turned it on, and took the key out, finally someone got it right! As a side note, when you stopped and turned it off you had to use the key again to turn on. I just use a seperate ring for my bike, but even now it has a Givi key on it also? Cheers-BB
One rubber key fob for the bike key, a separate rubber key fob for my Givi keys. Easy enough. :mod2_scooter:

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
My solution...

...looks like this:

So what's there is 'the' key, the other end is the headless Givi key and in the middle is the 'master lock' key for the hitch pin locks that hold my Pelican bags in place along with the 'key' to remove the SW-Motech racks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
velcro anyone?

I took two (one "male", one "female") pieces of velcro or "hook and loop" and glued them to the black part of the key. The pieces are as big as a fingernail.

Once glued in place, the main key and the Givi key can be easily attached in a angle (90) or as a straight line (180) from one another.

When the engine is ON, the Givi key points at the speedo, if that helps with the imagery.

This works very well, granted that I use only 2 keys, the main one and the Givi.

Oh, and the keys are held together by a regular key ring.

Hope this helps!

Adrian

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here is my simple solution to this issue, carabiner for the "daily" keys and a mini tire pressure gauge for the motorcycle key.

What is nice about this setup, both can be clipped together and unclipped for riding.

The tire pressure gauge is plastic, will not scratch anything, and makes checking your tire pressure quick.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use a 2 piece quick disconnect key chain like this-

Ignition key on one end, top box and disc lock key on the other end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts