StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting difficult, or inconvenient, to find kerosene -- at least where I live. Diesel will dissolve and displace grunge. I can't think of any reason why diesel wouldn't be a suitable substitute for chain cleaning -- except that maybe it's too oily to allow post-cleaning chain lube to stick.

Thoughts and opinions from the well-informed and experienced?

I've always before cracked my chains and removed them to a parts washer for cleaning.

·
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good on diesel! Thanks!

All of my previous road/street machines have been shaft drive and my dirt bikes were sanitary -- no tupperware -- with daily or frequent chain-snatching and cleaning required.

Now, by unspoken agreement with LowAndSilent (in a different thread) for a prompt reply to this posted question, I'll have to cough up membership bux to the forum -- and definitely not because it gains me access to Spank...

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Now, by unspoken agreement with LowAndSilent (in a different thread) for a prompt reply to this posted question, I'll have to cough up membership bux to the forum -- and definitely not because it gains me access to Spank...
You're really worried about that, aren't you? :bom_evilgrin:

We know what your real motives are.

Anyway. I'm weird, I use mineral spirits to clean my chain (probably more expensive). Great for cleaning the wheel rims as well.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I got a gallon of kerosene from my Ace Hardware a year ago. Have used it for chain maintenance and all manner of parts cleaning for a year now and still have a good bit left.

Ace Kerosene + Dupont Teflon lube does it for me.

Look forward to seeing you in Spank!

·
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a gallon of kerosene from my Ace Hardware a year ago. Have used it for chain maintenance and all manner of parts cleaning for a year now and still have a good bit left.

Ace Kerosene + Dupont Teflon lube does it for me.

Look forward to seeing you in Spank!
I like the diesel idea, since I always have it on hand for my Kubota tractor. I just thought it might be too oily and cause chain lube to shed. When I last used chains, the quality, technology, and maintenance were all much different than today. It was a good time to ask a question.

The check really is in the mail. See ya!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I'll have to cough up membership bux to the forum -- and definitely not because it gains me access to Spank...
Not that there's anything wrong with it.........................

In two years and 35,000 miles of DL ownership, I've gone through my first gallon.

Each chain has lasted about 15,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Diesel is fine. It's very close to the same thing as kerosene, jet fuel, etc.

The answer is basically correct but diesel and jet fuel are nowhere near the same thing.

Diesel sits below gas in the barrel of oil, it's basically very thin oil, you then go up through gas (petrol) to kerosene and jet fuel. To put it another way;

Diesel is refined oil
Gas (Petrol) is refined diesel
Kerosene is refined gas
Jet fuel is refined kerosene.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Diesel is refined oil
Gas (Petrol) is refined diesel
Kerosene is refined gas
Jet fuel is refined kerosene.
I think you messed that up.

I have a general question for the forum: How does cleaning the outside of the chain make it last longer? Please give specific details.

·
Registered
651 Posts

I have a general question for the forum: How does cleaning the outside of the chain make it last longer? Please give specific details.

A couple of things. One it keeps it from rusting and causing the links to freeze up. Two it helps the o-rings remain supple. Three it allows the lubricant to get to the o-rings and side plates.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I get some kerosene from a local hardware store in a 1/2 gallon jug. I think it is for heaters, but I figure it's close enough. I'm on my second bottle in two years, but I try to hold to the 600 miles between chain cleanings. But too each their own.
TTNH

·
Registered
725 Posts
Kerosene, lamp oil, and paraffin oil (but not paraffin wax) are just different names for the same thing and can be used interchangeably. The nice thing about using lamp oil is you can make your chain smell like flowers and repel mosquitoes.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts

I'm always a little amazed at how clean so many people keep their chains. Like you I live much further off pavement then most so chains get very dirty. I usually spray off some of the grunge with WD40...let it drip for a bit...and then hit the outside well with lube and the inside half as well. Chain is going to make 15,000 miles and by then it will need sprockets as well. I do feel that dirty chains do wear sprockets a bit faster. In this environment a 30,000 mile chain isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I didn't read every post here, but if it were me, I would go to my local airport that sells Jet-A and just buy a gallon. It works great as a chain cleaner.

Scott

·
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't read every post here, but if it were me, I would go to my local airport that sells Jet-A and just buy a gallon. It works great as a chain cleaner.

Scott
Scott, I don't think my local airport has any call for Jet-A. Even though Air Force One used to land here occasionally carrying Bill Clinton to get some of his favorite BBQ or pizza, that was a long time ago and this is "the sticks". I have diesel #2 in a 55-gallon drum with a pump. I've tried it and it cleans grunge just fine, apparently. Blow off the chain with compressed air to remove wetness, and spray with chain lube. When it's clean the chain still looks new on my Vee with only 7200 miles on it.

·
Registered
22,259 Posts

I don't know about you, but on dirt & gravel roads, I have a lot of grit stick to the chain if I don't keep it clean, riding in winter salt n sand is even worse

I don't worry about rust

I get some kerosene from a local hardware store in a 1/2 gallon jug. I think it is for heaters, but I figure it's close enough. I'm on my second bottle in two years, but I try to hold to the 600 miles between chain cleanings. But too each their own.
TTNH
when you buy it in half gallon jugs at a hardware store, I don't think its being packaged for heaters

I go to the local gas station and get K-1 from the bulk pump out back 5-20 gallons at a time....... I probably go thru 100 gallons or so of K-1 in a year

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
+1 on using diesel to clean your chain. I've been using it the better pary of a year now and so far no ill effects. A gallon has lasted this long, so it really is rather inexpensive. Try to clean and lube every 600 miles or so. Due for cleaning and lube next weekend.

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I bought my bike last summer after riding it for a few weeks, i noticed that there was rust on the chain and it looked dry. After asking friends what they used, they all said the same, "use kerosene". I checked Web Bike world on how to clean it and what to use. Don't use WD-40! Theres a good explaination as to why and what it will do over time to the bearings with pics. Bascially, WD-40 is more of a solvent than a lubricant and it will detiorate the o-rings and eventually cause the bearing races to become pitted and the bearing to look like an egg. http://www.webbikeworld.com is an excellant site for reviews and questions and it has a lot of really useful links. :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts