StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ken McEntire (Mac). This is my first post as I purchased my V-Strom about 48 hours ago on 1/30/04. After much searching around for an '03 model still on the floor I found one at a dealership about 60 miles away from me. Dealership treated me much better than the local dealership that also has an '03 on the floor. Loved the ride home and almost hated getting home and pulling into the garage...wanted to keep riding even with the temps dipping into the 20s.

Have just over 100 miles on it... temps have been in the 20s and low 30s which doesn't deter me much..mostly I've been working a lot this weekend.

The dealer had already installed the suzuki bags, center stand, and tall windshield before I purchased.

Pics of me and my bike can be seen at http://ken.linuxcrypt.com/vstrom/vstrom.html

Personal: Age 32. Riding on the road (legally) since 16, off road since 8. Started out on a Honda 1979 Honda XR80 (which I still have)

Professional: Working as a computer programmer at a local university.

Other interests:
Ford Mustangs. Apple computers. Travelling. The beach.

The wifes parents have several bikes and we went to the mountains for a weekend with them a couple of months back. We rode the superhawk that weekend... 200 miles w/ 2 up was hard on that bike so I wanted something else for the next trip. I should point out that 300 miles on that bike by myself is no problem for me. I love the bike. Have another mountain trip planned in mid-March and I wanted to have something a little more comfortable before then...so the V-Strom.

Other bikes currently owned are:
2003 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk
1986 Honda 350X 3-wheeler
1979 Honda XR80

Recently owned:
2001 Honda VT1100 Shadow Sabre (sold this one to my dad when I bought the V-Strom)... worked out great because I can still ride anytime I wish and my father, who has been without a bike for more than 10 years, is back riding again!
1997 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Honda Rebel 250 (Don't recall the year)

Yes, I have a long history with Hondas and greatly respect their endurance and reliability but with the Varadero being available only in Europe I couldn't even consider it. Actually, I do like the look of the V-Strom better and couldn't be happier with my recent purchase.

Finally, let me say I've been reading this forum now for several weeks and have already learned a lot. I actually answered some questions for the guy that prepped the bike for me at the dealership thanks to you guys. Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Very nice

I also bought a leftover 03 back in October. I ended up putting the Zero Gravity Double Bubble on mine (replaced the stocker) and I really like it. I also raised the fork tubes 15 mm which seems to have really quickened up the steering!

Anyway, congrats on the bike. Did you also get the stock windshield? I'd be interested to hear your comparison between the stock and tall windshield.

Oh, and mine's silver, also! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windscreen

Nope. Didn't get the stock windshield. Only have the tall. I am considering my options on windscreens at the moment. With the tall there is still a lot of noise. I put one of the ZG Double Bubbles on my superhawk though and have been quite happy with it. How is the noise on your strom with the ZG?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Noise - ZG

The noise is still there although, not as bad with the stocker. However, the buffeting has all but gone away. I wear earplugs so the noise isn't a big factor.

F

·
0 Posts
Mac how much did you end up paying with the bags added. I wanted to get the same setup but I think the dealer will end up ripping off if I have them added on. All the dealers I've contacted just have the stock bike nothing added! I think I can get the bags cheaper if I shop around and get a better deal than dealer add on bags!

Laxson OUT

L

·
0 Posts
Prospective Strom-buyer

Mac,
I saw that you have a SuperHawk. I'm currently considering getting a V-strom-- here's the deal: My favorite bike so far was a '99 Superhawk, but I just can't hang with the short range, lousy mileage, and (for me) lousy riding position. I was anxiously awaiting the SV1000, and almost plunked down a deposit sight-unseen. Glad I didn't-- I just can't get behind the SV's styling at all (frame is hideous, gauges look cheap...). My absolute ideal bike would be a Japanese version of the Ducati ST4S: five gallons of gas, 40-ish mpg, 1000cc v-twin sound and power, ability to put on hard bags, etc. The Duc's price tag and excessive taste for expensive maintenance put me off. I've never looked at the V-strom 'cause I'm a short guy (about 5'7", probably 29" inseam). I'm totally used to not being able to touch the ground on any street bike, and it really doesn't bother me that much, except in off-camber situations like having to suddenly stop sideways on a hill. I probably would lower a 'Strom about an inch right off the bat, just for tippiness sake. I was just interested in your feedback as a SH owner- except for the tall thing, do you think the Strom sounds like the bike for me?
Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Superhawk to Strom

Hi, Lee. I absolutely love my superhawk and I love the engine. Like you I was thinking an ST4 might be a good bike to have but the reason I never went further than the thought was due to the exact reasons you mention. I also considered the caponord & a gs650 but ended up going with the strom. I'm 5'11" and can easily put 300+ miles on the superhawk in a day with no complaints. Riding 2 up is a different story. Went to the mountains for a weekend with the girlfriend (now wife). I rode up and back by myself..just over 300 miles each way. On the Saturday we were on the hawk for the day... 200 miles about killed us both. That's the main reason for the Strom. I already knew I'd love the engine. For me everything felt right about the bike. Felt like it was just the right size & I knew it as soon as I sat on it on the showroom floor. I do have trouble seeing how anyone much shorter than myself would be able to handle it. Sounds like you're already a fan of the engine...not a lot of difference between the superhawk & the strom. Riding position is very comfy. If the height of the bike doesn't bother you, then I'd say go for it. I personally have no regrets. I know I'm gonna be making many long trips with it. When I switch back to the hawk, it does feel much smaller than it used to :) Have you considered the DL650?

Anyone out there able to give a comparison with the Tuono? It's in the running for the next bike...

L

·
0 Posts
DL650-- too small

Mac,
I had a SV650 a few years ago, which I absolutely loved. The riding position was spot on, the power was OK, the sound was good. The thing was just too small for highway work- way too low geared and underpowered to cruise over 80MPH (so I'm not looking at the DL650). After the SV, I moved up to the S'Hawk-- High speed cruising almost perfect on that bike, except for the fact that I like to explore when I'm sport-touring. I live in Northern Arizona, and l like to see parts of New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah that I was afraid to try on the SH. I would leave the house 40 miles into a tank of gas, and head straight to a gas station because I knew I didn't have enough to go ANYWHERE without running out of gas. That's crazy. 100-120mile range is just totally unacceptable, and I got about 25-30MPG, which made it worse. I grew up riding dirt bikes where I couldn't possibly hope to touch the ground with both TOES, let alone flat footed, so I'm not too intimidated by a somewhat tall bike. The stock Strom is way too tall, but I'm looking to see if I raised the forks 20mm in the triple clamps and did the 7/8" lowering in the rear, I think I'd be fine. I do a lot of canyon scratching, though-- so I wouldn't want to go that route if it would seriously limit ground clearance.
If Honda would come out with a new SuperHawk with a five-gallon tank and more reasonable (adjustable?) riding position, I'd be all over it. I have absolutely no desire to take the Strom off-road, and I'd be pretty leery of even bad dirt roads on a bike that tall, but if it would make a good-cornering adventure-tourer that I could stand to ride in traffic, with some wind protection, I think it might be the best approximation of what I'm looking for (short of a $15K Ducati that needs to go in the shop all the time).
Thanks,
Lee.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Superhawk

The strom will be for myself & the wife but when it's only me I'll be on the superhawk a lot. Dealership is covering all my services for another 2 years on the superhawk so I need to get the most out of that. My only real complaint is the distance issue. I'm getting between 35 & 41 on the superhawk but that does still limit me with the need to fill back up so frequently.

I did test ride an SV650 at one point and found it to be underpowered for my taste. Guess that's why I went up to the hawk.

While I probably won't be taking the strom off-road, there are the occasional highways through the mountains that become dirt roads for a few miles at a time and I do expect to hit some of those... and the washboard turns.. ugh.

F

·
0 Posts
Mac what do you think about the Givi/Suzuki hard cases? Are they worth the extra price for the bike or buying different cases after getting the bike instead?

FreediverGA OUT

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suzuki Hard Cases

I really like the cases. They match the bike perfectly. Guess its all a matter of how much you're willing to pay and what looks good to you but I think I'd have gone with the matching bags even if they hadn't already been installed.

This is the first bike I've had with this kind of storage capacity. I keep the center bag on the bike most of the time and will probably only use the side bags for trips. I love that I can take the bike up the street to the grocery store and have the room to carry quite a bit of stuff home with me. I've found that I'm also carrying a lot more junk with me to work just because I can. With the superhawk I only have a tank bag to carry my extra stuff.

H

·
0 Posts
Mac - before you go spend big money on an after market screen, at least try the stock shortie - I found the satock screen to give cleaner air on the noggin, the tall suzuki screen dumped turbulence right on my forehead. Of course I'm a bit shorter than you, so....5'9"

I'm in winston, we should hook up sometime fer a ride...if it quits snowing any time soon, eh? ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
windscreen

I have one of the ZG DB screens on my superhawk and have been happy with the performance there so I was thinking of trying one of those on the strom. There are other options I like but the price is much higher so I was planning on trying the cheaper option first. I've seen the ZG for between $70 & $80. How much is the stock shortie?

Love to hook up for a ride! Should get warm enough soon for some long rides. I'm still riding the strom most days...except for today with the snow/rain mixture coming down.

H

·
0 Posts
I would think that SOMEBODY here or over on the Yahoo group would be willing to part with a stocker for next to nothing, if anything at all...no idea what they cost at dealer...

I'm beating the spring-drums every night after work, dude...heh...there's apparently some law of the universe that says "every time hux buys a motorcycle it must rain or sleet or snow for two weeks".

:roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts