StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to not get another motorcyle and to stick with my weeee. I am very enamored with the new busa and the new bandit. But decided that I have plenty to learn on the 650 vs the DL100, hayubusa, and bandits. Next yeah there will be a high probabilty that I will get a second bike, but I only have 4200 miles of riding time and I want concentrate on off riding and improve my riding skills on the wee before getting on my more powerful bikes. The DL1000, The Hayabusa, and the Bandit 1250 will still be here next yer.

DVDT

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
keeping mine too

A guy down the road from me has a hayabusa 1300 with basically open headers, and when he starts it and or hauls ass around the neighborhood, it sounds like the fabric of space and time is ripping. It got me briefly wondering if I'd got the wrong bike. I too only have 4000 mi. Of riding time, and the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
That is why you keep the Strom and......get another bike too. Get the best of both worlds that way.;)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Kind and Honorable Gentlemen,

Consider for just one moment- what in the world can the overpowered (my term, I'm not speaking for others) Hayabusa do that the 62hp of the DL650 can't do, except launch you into the stratosphere?

The 650 is amply able to propel you to 100 mph faster than +90% of all 4-wheeled vehicles on the road. It's able to haul you and an equal weight in gear and supplies to nearly any corner of the globe. It allows you to sit upright and natural for 1000 mile days. It sips gas like the Queen of England sips tea with international dignitaries.

Yes, I've read all the recent articles on the Hayabusa and the Bandit 1250 and the new Kawi's, and outstanding machines they all are and I'd be proud to have each in my stable. But for reasons other than a lust for high performance, why does anyone need more than what a DL650 already offers?

You need to spend more quality time with your VStroms, some loooong ride days, and many, many commuting days, then you'll come to fully understand and appreciate all the wonderful things this marvelous motorcycle has to offer.

I'm not looking to stir the pot here (okay, maybe a little bit, but I still can't ride yet because of the snow), but I've got my turnout gear on, so let the flames begin.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I struggle with the same thing on a regular basis. That concours keeps calling. Everytime i go to the dealer and sit on one i think "yeah, gonna do it. Then i look at the price and think about my frugal and reliable friend, the strom, sitting parked outside and i walk out the door.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I started out on reasonably powered bikes and then I just had to do the high powered thing just like you are talking about. I'm glad I did it. Everyone should own a stupid powerful bike like a 'busa at least once in their lives. (A 1250 Bandit is too reasonable, not enough risk of life and death :mrgreen:.)

But you know what, while it was awsome and exciting but it wasn't exactly "fun". There is no time for fun if you are measuring your own mortality with each twist of the throttle. Twist the go handle and you get excitement. Twist more and you trim the line between riding and crashing. If you go too far, and you will, you enter the alternate reality and start to see heaven and hell as well as the road.

It is also frustrating to ride a completely overpowered bike. When can you let a Hayabusa run free? When can you drop the hammer and see how hard it can pull? Where? How often? I'll bet if you took the throttle apart on most busas you'd see they never reached full throttle, and those that did have a real exciting story to tell.

Get the Busa. Get one :mrgreen:!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
It's certainly what I need.

My Wee-Strom is a fine performer, and takes me great distances at minimal expense and considerable comfort. Recently I rode thousands of miles with experienced riders, and mine was the small bike.

The other bikes could reach cruising speed faster than mine could, but only by a second or two, and perhaps I could have twisted the gas a tad harder and stayed right with them. Even at their specialties, the more powerful machines had only a tiny advantage.

I generally spent less at the gas pumps than my companions did, but we didn't compare fuel bills, so my advantage there was as meaningless as theirs under acceleration.

You ride what you like. If you *really* like it, you and the machine tend to merge, to a degree. Then you work together, and the synergy becomes harmony. Perhaps that is why I need no earplugs and no music.

My Wee-Strom fits. I could no more ride a bike that doesn't fit than I could wear a helmet or shoes that fitted ill.

When you ride 6000 miles per year when your age is 45-63, then 14000 miles per year on a Wee-Strom, you know you have the correct machine.

If your bike fits, keep it and care for it. Ride your other bikes too, but know where you belong.

Keith does!

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you get that itch to spend more money on another high cost bike, I vote to find somewhere to rent your dream bike. Spend the $$$ to rent it for 2 or 3 days and ride the piss out of it. Find out if your gonna like it well enough to justify the extra $$$. Kind of like hiring a consultant.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
The Bandit 1250 calls out to me, too, but I'm keeping my wee until the wheels fall off. :p

A guy down the road from me has a hayabusa 1300 with basically open headers, and when he starts it and or hauls ass around the neighborhood, it sounds like the fabric of space and time is ripping.
Sounds like you have an idiot for a neighbor.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
You guys got me on this one...from the title of the thread I thought it was about how not to piss yourself during a long ride....

·
Administrator
13,351 Posts
Certainly that is a problem on the 650.. the necessary stops for fuel are SOOOO far apart that it can get hard to hold things in that long.

With the frequent stops you make, you wouldn't understand.

..Tom

You guys got me on this one...from the title of the thread I thought it was about how not to piss yourself during a long ride....

·
Registered
1 Posts
fast rides...

I read it somewhere...

Every man should date a psychotic nymphomaniac at least once,
regardless of the outcome.

Experience has taught me to ride with a highly developed skill set.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I don't know the hayabusa neighbor, but I wouldn't call him an idiot just because his bike sounds awesome. He must have laid it down multiple times, it's got scrapes all over it. He rides it pretty hard. And for the guy wondering where people open their sportbikes All the way up, try 83 north or south in md. Or p.a sometime. I've been passed by clusters of sportbikes while I was doing 90-100 and felt like I was in reverse as they went by! Love my 650 though.

·
Banned
593 Posts
I keep having the same thoughts as well. Then, I ride the 650 and realize that it's all the bike I will ever need. Some days I want more, but my family needs a father, so I need a Wee.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Certainly that is a problem on the 650.. the neccesary stops for fuel are SOOOO far apart that it can get hard to hold things in that long.

With the frequent stops you make, you wouldn't understand.

..TOm
Oh, that's the reason, I figured it had more to do with the embarrassment, of riding such a cute, little, toy, at gas stops.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
I certainly wouldn't be the one to tell you not to get a high powered sport bike. Everyone who has the skill or caution to operate one should go for it if the want one. It's like having a personal carry permit for a firearm, when you carry the weapon you start to think about the responsibilities you have to yourself and your family. I know it sounds weird but it's not like riding a bike with a 100 hp or so, when your riding one of the "fastest in the world" for the first few times no matter what your street skill is your going to scare the shit out of yourself. After that it's how much you respect that power that determines weather you live or die.:D In the 46 years I've ridden and the 54 bikes I've owned I have went through that cycle many times. I started off with the quest for power, did a little racing and continued the quest for about 40 years and have owned more "fastest in the world" bikes than any one man should have. I have kinda been full circle and want to enjoy the ride more than I use to, still have a hard time not doing the corner carving but I don't do the straight line like I use to. I think that means I got old.:p I guess what I'm trying to say is, power is not all bad if you respect it. It's just a lot harder to use in our traffic than it was even ten years ago. If you got the coin and can handle the urge to twist the throttle go for it, it's just that most can't. :D

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I agree fully w/ the concealed carry/powerful motorcycle responsibility analogy. Trouble is, in the criminal friendly state I live in, (maryland) virtually No One can get a concealed carry permit. I choose to be able to defend myself anyway w/ a glock 27. Also, I have no motorcycle license, just a learners. Not because I refuse to take the test, the dmv thinks that for 6 months I should have a car following me around, which is simply not feasable for me...OH, And be defenseless @ all times. I've chosen to flagrantly and proudly disregard both of these unreasonable restrictions. I have no criminal record, bother no one, and my state would consider me a criminal for it. Did I mention I live in a state with a worthless criminal friendly govt? End rant.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I agree fully w/ the concealed carry/powerful motorcycle responsibility analogy. Trouble is, in the criminal friendly state I live in, (maryland) virtually No One can get a concealed carry permit. I choose to be able to defend myself anyway w/ a glock 27. Also, I have no motorcycle license, just a learners. Not because I refuse to take the test, the dmv thinks that for 6 months I should have a car following me around, which is simply not feasable for me...OH, And be defenseless @ all times. I've chosen to flagrantly and proudly disregard both of these unreasonable restrictions. I have no criminal record, bother no one, and my state would consider me a criminal for it. Did I mention I live in a state with a worthless criminal friendly govt? End rant.
Dude, I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to admit to crimes on a public forum.

Just sayin'...

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Hey, notice I said proudly in in my post. Call me crazy, but if only criminals are able to carry around here, count me as another one. Difference being I'm helping my self defense odds instead of robbing people. Couldn't care less. I like trees too, by the way, but I'm a libertarian not a liberal. But to each his own! We just enjoy v-stroms.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
For those of you who have very little riding time. I would recommend a smaller duel sport or dirt bike. You really want to improve your skills and know what it is like to ride a bike on the edge of control that will do it for you without the penalty of learning on the street.

As for the hyper powered sport bikes I would say if it tickles your fancy then do it. There is NO feeling like whacking open the throttle on one of the most powerful bikes on the road. You will laugh out loud when you catch your breath. You will not believe that the bike feels as though it is pulling as hard a 150 as it was at 100. You know your going when the dotted white line turns solid and the telephone poles pass you like a picket fence.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts