StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcWcamsT9o

Fifteen year old driver with learner's permit stops in an intersection and backs up into and onto a motorcycle.

The rider did have room to escape to beside the driver, they were in first gear but it looks like by the time they recovered their wits from going WTF they panicked, dumped the clutch and stalled leaving the rider with the option of getting out of the way on 2 feet.

Yes the driver is entirely at fault how ever as an armchair quarterback I can state that the rider had a chance to escape but was shocked by the drivers action that they lost that opportunity.

here's a gif of the video incase the video disappears. http://giant.gfycat.com/NeighboringBraveBullfrog.gif

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
Yes the driver is entirely at fault how ever as an armchair quarterback I can state that the rider had a chance to escape but was shocked by the drivers action that they lost that opportunity.
..http://giant.gfycat.com/NeighboringBraveBullfrog.gif
I agree with you!

I am sure many will post that the ride should-have could -have etc, but I suspect many of us woudl have done the same thing the rider did.

..Tom

·
Registered
404 Posts
I agree with you!

I am sure many will post that the ride should-have could -have etc, but I suspect many of us woudl have done the same thing the rider did.

..Tom
Yep, I agree. who among us would expect a car in front backing up and be prepared for evasive action? Not me. I usually keep more an eye on the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Almost looks intentional. Hits the dude's bike and gives it more gas:confused:
Angry Ex???

·
Registered
40 Posts
From Reddit forum:
Ok boys and gals. I am the actual rider in the video and will once and for all dissolve all speculations and such that to my amazement have come up so far.
We both started slowing down when the light turned orange. The red SUV ended up in the middle of the intersection. Cars seen on the right started turning left, one car actually made it in front of the stalled/frozen driver. The car then proceeded to back up - IN THE LEFT LANE - i was aware about its presence all the time. And yes I was in the 1st with the clutch in as can be seen on video (anyone see the Neutral light?). As some have pointed out, only have I noticed it changing directions a couple of seconds before impact. Yes, a rider with tens of years of experience MAY HAVE been able to sprint to the right (risking clipping the car and being at fault for running a red light into potentially left turning traffic, as the light for the oncoming lane was changing to a left turn go), but given the circumstances... the horn wouldn't have done squat. Again, we're talking seconds. Disbelief that the car was going to back into me was up there. I was in the dominant position for my lane (left half of the lane, where cars in the left lane have the best chance of seeing you in their mirror), watching the driver... but again... how often do you guys assume that a car will decide to reverse into your lane from a different one and floor it?
The video ends where it does because there is absolutely nothing exciting happening afterwards. The two occupants get out, we exchange remarks, and then i take the helmet off and turn off the camera. No swearing or yelling. The adrenaline pumping through my system was so high, I was kinda happy to not be under the car. The car was resting on the bike, they had to lift it to get the bike from underneath.
Yes please, all those that could've avoided this - I salute you and your superhuman reactions. I'm just human and did the best I could when I realized what was going to happen to get my sorry ass out of the way.
The aftermath... if I can figure out how to post pictures here I will. The driver got a ticket as it is illegal to back out of an intersection (or something thereof) and yes, because they are on a learner's permit (can only drive supervised), they may have very high insurance premiums. And as far as the bike - it will be looked at by an insurance adjuster on Monday where I will find out what happens next.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Given the possible outcomes from the encounter, I think the rider did well to avoid getting squashed, regardless of how 'super-riders' think. He's alive and unhurt, as is the driver of the car, and to me that's a win/win. Insurance takes care of the rest.

No reason not to dump the bike if you're frozen and in a terrible situation like that rather than remain frozen and end up flattened like Wil E. Coyote.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think the rider in this situation did the best he could have. I am not sure he could have moved the bike out of harms way when he realized the car was coming into his lane. In the attempt, he may instead have had his left leg crushed by the bumper of the car or more.

If I am ever in such a situation, I hope I keep my wits enough to jump off of the bike and avoid any bodily harm. Bikes can be replaced.

Now this rider has the opportunity to shop for a new bike. Maybe he will be wise enough to buy a Strom. :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow. You just never know what is going on in the minds of the drivers around you! I agree that at an intersection, stopped, I am more focussed on the traffic coming up behind me or checking out cars left and right to see who might be distracted, looking for pedestrians and guerilla bicycle riders (and scooter riders behaving like bicycle riders but at 3x the speed)... I will add "watch out for cars backing up into my lane" to the list...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the rider in this situation did the best he could have. I am not sure he could have moved the bike out of harms way when he realized the car was coming into his lane. In the attempt, he may instead have had his left leg crushed by the bumper of the car or more.

If I am ever in such a situation, I hope I keep my wits enough to jump off of the bike and avoid any bodily harm. Bikes can be replaced.

Now this rider has the opportunity to shop for a new bike. Maybe he will be wise enough to buy a Strom. :thumbup:
Rider was on a cbr250 which in North America tends to be a beginner bike, as great as the vstrom is I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner bike. I suspect the rider has taken a safety course (lane position, 1st gear) which may or may not have helped.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Given the right opportunity I think an escape could have been made. But I doubt I would have had time to react and do so. The car was coming back fast. The rider did what he had to to avoid injury and that is the best you can expect out of anyone.

You/insurance can buy a new bike if the original is beyond repair. There is only so much than can be done to repair a body. If you live.

·
Registered
673 Posts
IMO, SUPER EASY to find yourself in this exact situation and have it end the same or worse. I believe I would have been thinking to myself "what is that person doing". When they start backing up they aren't pointed at the bike.
When the suv starts turning a little it puts the bike in its blind spot, bike gets hit and the driver of the car is stunned and in panic, forgets about the brake. It happens all the time, which is the scariest part of being in the riders position.
My guess, the rider which posted here, if in the same situation would exit right as soon as a vehicle were to do that again.
It is just amazing how many times that something that looks like it is going to be bad for someone else turns into something bad for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
He didn't have a lot of time. Any time spent scanning your mirrors would take away from the time you had. He really only had about one second to decide what to do once the car started moving.

A couple of things that I notice though:

1. I always look at the front tires. I find I get more information about what is going to happen by looking at them. A car sitting in front of me with their front tires like that car would set off alarms in my head.

2. If anyone in front of me turns on their backup lights I get ready to get out of the way in a hurry, if not pre-emptively move out of their way before they do anything.

3. What the rider says is the left part of the lane and what I use at an intersection is considerably different. I don't stop at any of kind of angle, so I'm not favoring one direction or the other. It looks to me like he is slightly angled to the left and on the edge of the center junk. I would be much closer to the painted line on the left (i.e. closer to the car that hit him), but ready to zip to the right if backup lights came on.

I hate riding in cities with intersection after intersection. I'm glad I don't have to do it very often.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I hate riding in cities with intersection after intersection. I'm glad I don't have to do it very often.
+1. I live a couple miles from an interstate. 2 and 3 lanes each direction to the interstate and about 4 miles to where the two lane mountain roads start. I rarely even take my bike to the motorcycle shops because I dislike riding in traffic.
I have to remember that most accidents happen several miles from home. The 2 miles to and from the interstate is the most dangerous part of my day (especially in the winter as we tend to get back in town right at rush hour).

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think I would have at least hit the horn. I'm almost instinctive with it, now. I was once in a similar position when a transport truck (with no trailer) backed up to clear an intersection, without looking. He didn't hear my horn, but heard the car behind me (I backed up so much I almost hit him). The next day, my order for a Stebel went in.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
There are some things you simply cannot expect. I think the rider did a quite reasonable job of saving himself. Sure, someone else might have been able to pull off a save of the bike but let's not expect too much here.

Hint, I seldom check for low flying aircraft before changing lanes on the freeway . . . although with all these drones that may become necessary too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Props to the motorcyclist for stepping off in time. A "perfect rider" would have noticed the erratic motorist driving into a red light, and therefore would have kept close eyes on him and a ready hand on the throttle. But "perfect riders" don't exist, do they?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rider was on a cbr250 which in North America tends to be a beginner bike, as great as the vstrom is I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner bike. I suspect the rider has taken a safety course (lane position, 1st gear) which may or may not have helped.
As someone who started on a CBR300R... I wouldn't recommend the v-strom as a beginner bike either. I'm not very strong and only 6' tall though. This thing is a lot to push around at times. Love it though. The CBR I can stand up and have like 6 inches of clearance over the seat. Can practically pick it up and carry it around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Props to the motorcyclist for stepping off in time. A "perfect rider" would have noticed the erratic motorist driving into a red light, and therefore would have kept close eyes on him and a ready hand on the throttle. But "perfect riders" don't exist, do they?
Every single person that says they would've done it better aren't considering the fact that in that situation they don't have the luxury of time to figure out the best method of moving out of the way. Especially in that kind of state of mind. Sure, a lot of people CAN do it, but it's hard to say unless you're in that position.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts