StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '12 V Strom 650 with 11,000 miles. I've added $4000+ worth of accessories to make the bike just like I want it.

Then I made the mistake of riding a new '17 R1200GS. I bought the GS. It is an awesome machine.

Now I'm staring at my V Strom in the garage, all loaded up. The price I can get for the Suzuki might buy me a new set of panniers for the BMW. The V Stroms are great bikes, but for some reason to get them sold you need to unload them for pennies on the dollar. The V Stroms I see on craigslist locally tend to sit for a very very long time without selling.

It absolutely breaks my heart to start ripping the accessories off the Suzuki to try and sell it. I'm trying to justify just keeping it, but I can't think of many reasons why I would need two bikes.

Anybody have any wisdom to share that would help me justify keeping the 650? I'm a weekend/after work rider only, not a commuter.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Most of us have way more invested in our bikes than we can get out of them, so your not alone. I'm probably the worst offender. But hey, it's not an investment, it's a delightful hobby. You've got a new bike that you like so move on. Unless you have a friend who would like to ride but doesn't have a bike?
I sometimes think of getting another bike but realistically know that I am not able to ride the one I have as much as I would like. Good luck and enjoy the GS. I have avoided riding one so I stay happy with what I am riding.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So you should have roughly $12000 in your V-storm? A couple of weeks ago I bought mine with 1700 miles for less than the price of your accessories.

My VTX was my worst financial decision in the last decade, while I really like the bike I don't ride it nearly enough so to negate my stupidity I need to make my purchase worthwhile by keeping it long enough to offset the depreciation. If I can lose a $100 per month (or less) I'm okay with that so now I've owned the bike 11 years and in my mind I'm good.

The Glee is way different than than your GS so as long as it's paid off keep them both.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This...

...hey, it's not an investment, it's a delightful hobby.
And this...

Keep your V Strom. you need at least one reliable bike...
You'll never get your perceived value selling a bike, car, motorcycle, etc. Especially when it's been customized and farkled.

If you have room, ride a lot, and are not worried about money, keep both. If one of those is negative, sell the motorcycle that makes the most positives.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Speaking only for myself, I like my 2003 Concours, but they're going to have to pry my 2007 Wee out of my cold dead hands.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If you part it out especially if you have suspension farkles keep me in mind. Might be persuaded to entertain aftermarkets exhausts as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. I've read about a lot of people having two bikes and appreciate the input.

I'm really starting to entertain keeping the 650 for a bit just in case. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the GS. I can't get enough and have put about 1100 miles on it in a short period of time. It is pure awesomeness. Maybe that will wear off and I will be itching to ride the V Strom again.

Also, I ride with bikes of all flavors including Harleys, Victorys, Hondas, Triumphs, and BMWs. I know 5 people with GS's that have had zero issues with many miles put on their bikes (knock on wood). I'm hoping my GS to be just as reliable as the people around me.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
502 Posts
Keep your V Strom. you need at least one reliable bike...
+10

Seriously.

It took me 5 BMW's to get over the marketing hype. Purchase prices aside, I don't even want to think about the money I spent on maintenance.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Nothing wrong with having two bikes. Just get the minimum insurance on the Glee and keep it, ride it occasionally to keep everything working and fresh fuel in it. What condition is it in? If it's a little beat up, you could use it for riding when the roads are crappy to keep the new bike nice. If you're into that.

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
+10

Seriously.

It took me 5 BMW's to get over the marketing hype. Purchase prices aside, I don't even want to think about the money I spent on maintenance.
My buddy's who own a GS do their own maintenance, what maintenance were and were not you doing on the 5 BMW's you previously owned?

·
aka Rick in Alabama
502 Posts
My buddy's who own a GS do their own maintenance, what maintenance were and were not you doing on the 5 BMW's you previously owned?
I did not own a GS in the any iteration, and my understanding is that the new GS line is the simplest BMW since the airheads on which to do one's own maintenance. For the owner's sake I hope that is indeed the case and not more of the marque group-think.

Mine were (in order):

1987 K100RT
1995 K75RT
1995 K1100LT
1990 R100RT
2000 R1100RT

Next, maintenance is a general and inclusive word and in hindsight was not the best word choice. I typically do my own fluid changes (oil, brake, coolant), but not tires, So I was speaking not of those routine maintenance items, but of the off the wall things beemer-owners can run into. As a personal aside, riding, not wrenching, is where I get the mental health benefit I want out of owning a motorcycle.

Several things that a more astute or well equipped wrench would probably do at home were things I had to hire due to (1) lack of adequate garage or shop space, or (2) lack of the specialized tools or mechanical knowledge. For example, the valve adjustments on the K bikes were above my pay-grade and required tools I did not have. Fork seals are something I could have done, but again, shop space and tools were an issue. At the time a BMW Service I and a BMW Service II costs anywhere from $250 with the independents, to $600 plus with the dealerships. Some of their grouped items in those service blocs could be done by the individual, but others required special tools. Also, at that time the intervals on the two proscribed services was 6,000 miles, meaning that a bike ridden 12,000 miles a year would call for both on an annual basis. Again, the question came into focus: "How much do I want to invest in supporting this thing" as opposed to "leave it at the shop a month and pay that guy to do it?"

The airhead (R100RT) was a classic in every way. Every time I went out to get on it, it seemed like a bulb was out. Okay, "let's install a new tail-light bulb and then run down the issue ... again." Some of my view on BMW is most assuredly due to the fact that electrical is my most despised part of mechanicking.

The K1100LT was the most problem free during my ownership, but I knew the original owner and he had several items to deal with before he sent it on to the next victim ... uh, dedicated beemer-phile. Otherwise, I ran into leaky water pump issues (K100), final drive and drive spline issues (K100), brake rotor issues (K100), cam-chain slap issues (K75), and on the R1100RT in particular, electrical, final drive bearing, and non-available replacement parts issues.

My last one was the R1100RT, and when it left me stranded in north Georgia due to an electrical issue I decided enough is enough. An electrically savvy rider who happened to be there literally fabricated a series of wires and connectors to create a bypass and get me home. I chose a route that would let me literally clutch-in and roll into a ditch on a moment's notice should the engine quit stone cold dead again. The bill from the independent shop when I got it back in good running order was in excess of $600, and in that episode we learned that BMW was no longer making the neutral indicator switch for the particular model. :headbang:

So when I sold the RT and opted for another Jap bike, I made a deliberate move towards a known record for reliability, low maintenance, and with those - a less anxious ownership. Yes, the BMW marque offers some tech wizardry and high-end features that are unsurpassed, but at the end of the day, "bring more wallet" can easily qualify the initials. I would recommend that any potential BMW owner carefully think through and compare their mechanical abilities, tolerance for ambiguity, potential shop costs, and general riding goals before signing on one.

Starry-eyed tho they were, I did a full disclosure to all purchasers of the bikes, and gave them the records to take with them. :bom_daisy:

Finally, my username is what it is because of owning those motorcycles. They were not "basket cases" in the old barn-find sense of the word, but by golly - it sometimes felt like it!

But hey - I'm happy with the DL, and no more beemers for basketcase! :thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is a shame about the vstrom resale. My basic 2003 DRZ will likely sell faster and for more money, yet isn't half the bike in most senses of the word. I thought I stole my 2007 DL1000 last spring only to see that prices continue to fall. Oh well, I guess. The only thing I would add to the discussion is not to hold onto it for any longer than you really want/need. Whatever it is worth today, it is unlikely it will increase in value next year or the year after.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
V Strom resale value isn't much different then any other bike. New models are coming - prices on older models are going down. if your price is right it sells. if you are asking for few years old one the same as you can get new one for, no wonder there is no buyer. Plus - how many V Strom Suzuki have sold in last15 years and how many DRZ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
All I can say is........ THIS is a problem I could live with!!! Enjoy laying down a single track.
Ride safe all.
gary

Reactions: Old Time Rider

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a new 16 dl650 in January and I have over 15,000 miles on the bike and I got Lucille set up pretty nice but I will not try this bike in the world for nothing I would keep it if I were you have the best of both worlds

1 - 20 of 21 Posts