StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter on the horizon, I don't see many bikes on the road these days. So, I thought it would be nice to log your ride...Give us the details...location, date, time, temperature, gear you're wearing to stay warm.... road conditions, snow plow sightings ?
Have fun and stay safe! :yesnod:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok....I'll go first !

Wed. Oct. 22... 7:00am. Midland to Barrie Ontario, temp on the speedo said +1C, dressed warm and had to wimp-out by using the grip heaters! No sign of any other bikes.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Thursday, Oct. 23rd. 1.30am. 3 of us on the way home (from work). About +6C. I used a heated grips, but there was no need to hook up heated liner.

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Just riding almost every day.. it's not really cold out yet. The bike is still my default set of wheels. If it is raining and much less than 5°c I may take the car but really right now isn't any big deal.

One nice thing about this time of year is the lack of bugs!

..Tom

·
Registered
751 Posts
-2 at 630 am this morning. A bit chilly but the ride home at five made it worthwhile ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
With winter on the horizon, I don't see many bikes on the road these days. So, I thought it would be nice to log your ride...Give us the details...location, date, time, temperature, gear you're wearing to stay warm.... road conditions, snow plow sightings ?
Have fun and stay safe! :yesnod:
I'm putting mine away this weekend, though there is still some acceptable riding weather left.

Why so early? The bike needs a new rear tire, badly. The brakes are close to the dreaded metal-to-metal stage. The chain is on it's last legs. (All to be taken care of at the start of the next riding season, with more time and money available. hopefully.) Also, the bike's off to be stored elsewhere as of this weekend, as I need the garage now. We will, this year, finally rebuild my brother-in-law's '73 Guzzi V7 Sports in my garage. Last year's plan to do this was OBEd (local MilSpeak for Overcome By Events).

The transformation from garage to shop begins tomorrow with the delivery of two cubic yards of stone-dust (some 5000 pounds or so) to level the floor of the garage/shop prior to laying down some extruded foam insulation, t&g OSB and some old laminate flooring I removed from an apartment. Closing in and insulating the ceiling is next. Then some electrical outlets. Comfort is the aim, cheap is the means. Moving work bench, tools, storage cabinets, shelving and a whole slew of stuff, storing it in the corners of the house and under tarp in the back yard, and then replacing it ship shape and Bristol Fashion into the new shop, will be as much work as any other stage in this process. Well, other than fixing the old bike, maybe.

A short ride is planned for tomorrow (after the stone-dust is delivered) before preparing the bike for its hibernation. I'm not likely to encounter snow, 15 deg. C called for, which is hardly roughing it. I will enjoy this last ride of the year, and will miss riding on the nice days left.

Cheers,

Marc

·
Registered
87 Posts
Edmonton to Drayton Valley to Mayerthorpe to Edmonton. About 400 km. Trees are pretty barren, as well as everything is brown. Green is gone for the year.

About 8 degrees with sunshine. Wind about 60 to 70 km.

Had an electric jacket with insulated gloves. Needed the heated grips on for about an hour. Overpants.

Saw 5 other bikes out on the highway.

Temperature due to drop tomorrow so may be the last longish ride for this year.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Saw 5 other bikes out on the highway.
Well, I took my second-to-last ride today. The last will be Sunday across town to put the bike away.

Beautiful day, 12 to 15 deg C and mostly sunny. I rode South from Ottawa to Kemptville, just past the Rideau River. I headed up River Road to return to Ottawa via Manotick. As I approached the overpass over Hwy 416 my way was blocked. A fire truck was on the overpass with it's long ladder up. Firemen were in gear. Cars were stopped and parked to the side, a hundred people there. Police cars blocked the way, yet there was easy rapport with the police - this was not an accident scene.

Within a half hour, easily 250 to 300 people ended up on the overpass, looking North towards Ottawa. Many Canadian flags were draped over the side of the overpass, and a large one hung from the fire truck's ladder. We (I included, at this point) were gathered there on the overpass to witness a procession of police cars, a few limos and a hearse. A half-hour wait, then it was all over as the procession passed by below at highway speed. It was pretty moving, made me proud to be there with all the others, honouring in this small way the soldier shot in Ottawa and now on his way home for the last time.

I made it back home, changed the bike's oil and filter in preparation for the winter storage - but that is no more than turning a page, a simple nothing following something of more importance.

Marc

·
Registered
310 Posts
Rode around town in Calgary today. About 13 C. Standard jacket, pants and glove. The only added item was a neck buff to keep the wind out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
riding almost every day. I live 1 hr east of ottawa. Its been down to 5 degrees. 45 km trip each way to work. Using a cee baileys big windshield, acebris hand guards, aerostitch 1 piece suit with heated jeacket and gloves. On the coldest days i might use another layer to keep the heat in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saturday tour

First off...Kudos to Marc for paying respect to our latest soldier who died for Canada. Thanks Marc.
Secondly, it was a balmy day here on the shores of Georgian Bay. Found some great trails climbing the escarpment ...managed to dodge the rain. I'm hoping to stay on two wheels fro a few more weeks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Secondly, it was a balmy day here on the shores of Georgian Bay. Found some great trails climbing the escarpment ...managed to dodge the rain. I'm hoping to stay on two wheels fro a few more weeks!
Well, I rode the bike across town this morning to my ex-wife's. My brother met me there and we put the two bikes away in the garage, tucked in behind my son's trailer and dirt bike.

I'll respond to Forest Cop's initial request on the details of our year-end motorcycling. The roads were wet from overnight rain, enough to easily spin my bald rear tire when accelerating from a stop. OK, so I decided to take it easy, no use spilling it on the last day, and spoiling a fall-free year of motorcycling. The ride was dry, not requiring that I don my rain over-gear.

Even though it is a short 20 minute ride (14.5 Kms) from here to there, I wore my electric jacket liner. I have found this jacket liner to be a wonderful addition to my gear. It was warm enough that I never plugged it in, and never turned on the heated grips. The insulation built into the jacket liner was enough for such a short ride. (My four year-old Joe Rocket riding jacket lets a lot of wind through, even when zipped up).

OK, now I have to resort to hearing of others' exploits of hypothermia and dodging snow plows. Take care out there.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Yet another Toronto Amazons ride.

8 Toronto Amazons with 8 bikes. Toronto to Newcastle to Port Hope then north to all over hells half hectare. Somewhere between 250 and 300 kilometres. Heated gear is good, no, wonderful.

It's always fun to see the expressions on patrons faces when a bunch of suited up bikers enter the restaurant, then the gear comes off and it's a gang of women on bikes.

Yay us!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Rode a couple hours on Sunday, could of rode more but itchy to wire up my new 18 x 30 garage complete with new bike lift. It's almost time to put the liner in my joe rocket pants, break out my heated gloves, could of used an extra sweater too

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Two of us rode to Plevna from TO last weekend to close up his, my riding friend's, cabin. The bikes were frosty on Sunday morning, and friend's heated gear is not as efficient as mine. No bother though as there are plenty of Tim's between there and here.

Then an early Friday, October 24th run up to Penetanguishene for a meeting. It was dark and close to zero when I left home. Again, my heated jacket and grips but, for the first time, I was thinking I should have zipped the liner into my riding pants.

Although it's not new to me, my favourite accessory this year is a PUG neck liner thing (no idea what it's really called). It's a stretchy tube of fabric that goes over the head and tucks in under the jacket collar. It's probably called a neck gaiter or something along those lines. it can stretch up over the ears and nose. For the coldest part of the ride I leave it like that. As things warm up I can pull it down a little. This was a Eureka moment as I've had this thing since it was given to me as a gift a few years ago, but was hiding at the bottom of a box full of miscellaneous gloves and helmet accessories...until I cleaned that box out.

I'll be riding in and around Toronto this week and next - it's quicker and cheaper to park (free) than driving. Unless the snow flies, I'll keep riding.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two of us rode to Plevna from TO last weekend to close up his, my riding friend's, cabin. The bikes were frosty on Sunday morning, and friend's heated gear is not as efficient as mine. No bother though as there are plenty of Tim's between there and here.
I'll be riding in and around Toronto this week and next - it's quicker and cheaper to park (free) than driving. Unless the snow flies, I'll keep riding.
Hey KZDon, you'll have to change your "location ID" cause your 'crack-head mayor' is toast ! :jawdrop:

I'm still riding... plus 1C yesterday on the way to work.... nippley !

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey KZDon, you'll have to change your "location ID" cause your 'crack-head mayor' is toast ! :jawdrop:

I'm still riding... plus 1C yesterday on the way to work.... nippley !
Yup, I'll have to do that. Is Jerry still Penetanguishene's mayor?

And I should tell you, on the way back from Midland/Penetang on Friday I was aiming for MEC in Barrie and took the zigzag route to end up at Dunlop and the 400, including the dirt roads through Flos Township that had new gravel and grading. I had a number of pucker moments.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Yup, I'll have to do that. Is Jerry still Penetanguishene's mayor?
OUCH!!! Change your location. It's hurting my brain...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just been riding back and forth to work and around town on the weekends. It's still in the upper 80's here in Phoenix. Wearing my mesh hear to stay cool. Oh wait a minute...were you talking about Canada! Brrrr.... My bad. Haha just havin a little fun with ya.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 109 Posts