StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I should bother keeping my side-stand on now that I have the SW-Motech center-stand.

I still use the side-stand when dismounting the bike. I pop it up onto the center-stand after getting off.

- Martin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unless you can get the bike onto the centre stand before you get off, I think you're asking for trouble! I'd leave it on - where's the harm?
Nigel.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I left mine on, and I think most people do. I tried getting my bike up onto the centerstand with a sore back once - I was unsuccessful. I'm glad I had the sidestand then. Besides, what do you gain (other than an insignificant weight reduction) by removing the sidestand?

Tim

B

·
0 Posts
I have had a few friends who have had their bikes knocked over in high winds when on the center stand.

My MSC instructor stated that you should always overnight the bike on the side stand for just that reason.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I'd ask yourself what the advantage of taking it off would be. :)

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zed88 said:
I'd ask yourself what the advantage of taking it off would be. :)
The only advantage I can envision is a pound or so less weight to partially offset what the center-stand added.

I think I'll leave it be.

- Martin

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
STRONGLY recommend leaving the sidestand on for a plethora of reasons. If your only reason for removing it is to save weight then, well, come up w/another reason as we're talking a/b the V-Strom not a race bike here! :shock: I doubt 99.99% of Strom riders could even ride the bike differently w/such insignificant weight savings. :wink:

Trust me on this one... leave it on.

Stromette

·
Registered
184 Posts
Centerstands are not intended as replacements to sidestands but as a supplement for maintenance, wheel removal, and some parking situations where you want the bike upright.

Remove it and you will always have to balance the bike as you dismount. While most of us can do this, eventually it's a sure-fire prescription for expensive tipovers as you deal with off-camber situations, gravel, off-road riding, etc.

The proper way to dismount with almost zero chance of a tipover is exactly as MSF teaches it: hold front brake, deploy sidestand, rest bike on stand, dismount, turn handlebars full-lock left.

- Mark

·
Registered
216 Posts
Martin said:
Just wondering if I should bother keeping my side-stand on now that I have the SW-Motech center-stand.
- Martin
Try getting off your bike without using the side stand.

After you get up off the ground and and pick your bike up, I think you'll decide to leave the side stand on the bike.

·
Registered
255 Posts
bookerb said:
I have had a few friends who have had their bikes knocked over in high winds when on the center stand.

My MSC instructor stated that you should always overnight the bike on the side stand for just that reason.
What!!?? I would never think it possible, unless a hurricane type wind, but what do I know. :) How fast of a wind can knock it over?

My vote: Leave it on!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
With only a c/s you will always have to dismount on the left side and balance the bike while doing so. No other choice as I see it.
Imagine you have had a real long hard day and are beat mentally and physically, wouldn't it be nice just to come to a stop, drop the side stand and relax a moment or two. No balancing act or gymnastics involved, just veg out and regroup yourself in your own good time. The side stand is my friend and savior more often than not.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I made the mistake on my XS1100 when it was new and parked it on it's centre stand never again . I watched from about 300yards away a few hours latter the wind really picke up blow it over. Result badly sratched engine casing cover etc. I have always used side stand since ,you never know when wind will pick up and /or change direction.

I have also seen side stand sink into melting pavement and bike fall over , caused by small contact area of side stand , very hot day ,spilt petrol or something may have helped melt pavement in carpark.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
ChrisW123 said:
bookerb said:

What!!?? I would never think it possible, unless a hurricane type wind, but what do I know. :) How fast of a wind can knock it over?

My vote: Leave it on!
I've never had it happen, but I know for a fact it's happened to one of my best riding buds...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would definately leave the center stand. Like many have already said it will make dismounting much easier and not to mention safer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts