StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2012 VStrom 650. It has been a great first bike and has not let me down in the 12k I have put on it. But........

I am thinking about a 2015 Tiger 800 XCX. Why? The Tiger was the other bike I was thinking about when I get my VStrom. The Vstrom won out based on the Adventure package that came with everything I wanted and the 0% financing was a great deal. I like some of the features on the Tiger cruise control, different rider maps, switchable ABS, etc. Plus I think the triple is a real nice power plant.

A big part of my consideration is I'd like to try something else since the VStrom and my TW200 are the only two bikes I've ridden.

No complaints with the VStrom. It does feel a little sluggish on the highway around 65 and I don't think it has enough grunt to get me out of trouble at the speed if I needed to accelerate.

Nothing is decided yet just thinking out loud and interested if anyone has any opinions.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
Life is short and it is only a bike, why not give it a try. Since when does the 800 Tiger have cruise control, I know that the 1200 does? Oh and the 650 Strom has more than enough grunt and HP to get you easily out of the way at 65 and up.........NO PROBLEM.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I really like the xr x but it's out of my price range for a new bike. What about a Vstrom or versys 1000?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I wouldn't consider the 800 from what you say. You won't be happy with its power and I don't know if it is as smooth on long rides. If you want to try something different, the Triumph is too close to the V STrom in most comparisons. Now the 1200 Triumph or a new DL 1000........

·
Registered
536 Posts
The triumph triple is a great, FUN motor. If I were to get off my Strom, which I really enjoy, it would probably be for the Tiger 800.

Might want to crack the throttle on your scooter and maybe be in 5th gear not 6th at 65. You'll have zero problem zipping out of a dicey situation. Pretty amazing motor for a 650. Not your Grandad's 650 that's for sure.

Stay or go, either way you'll be on a fun scooter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You'll have to take the Tiger for a longish ride before you'll know if you like it. I have a Tiger 1050 which I absolutely love, and I liked the 800 when I rode it, except for the clutch. I decided I couldn't live with it, so I bought the Glee. Much better clutch though not as good suspension. It's always a compromise.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Life is short and it is only a bike, why not give it a try. Since when does the 800 Tiger have cruise control, I know that the 1200 does? Oh and the 650 Strom has more than enough grunt and HP to get you easily out of the way at 65 and up.........NO PROBLEM.
The 2015 Tiger can have cruise control as an option. Dgrav, what color is your bike? I'm looking for a 2012 adv model.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have both a 2012 glee and a 2012 tiger roadie. The tiger is a bit faster than the strom and howls nicely when accelerating hard. But if I'm going any kind of long distance, I'll take the strom because the engine characteristics are just more relaxed and pleasant at higher speeds. Also, there are way more Suzuki dealers than Triumph dealers in case repair was needed. Both of mine have Madstad brackets and screens but for whatever reason, the strom has better wind protection. That new XCx is a nice bike but it costs about twice as much as a new glee and in my opinion, you're not getting twice the bike.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If the Tiger turns you on - go for it.
Back in 2011 I was looking at the XC before I got the Strom. A test ride decided it for me. I didn't like the engine (especially the sound) and the ergos was all wrong.

I'm looking forward to do a test ride on the new FJ09 Tracer - have you considered that bike as a replacement for your Strom?

If the Tracer turns out not to be what I'm looking for I'll have to wait and see how the "True Adventure" from Honda turns out. If that one goes sour I might end up with a Super Tenere..........

There are so many nice bikes out there. Try as many as possible and choose the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2015 Tiger can have cruise control as an option. Dgrav, what color is your bike? I'm looking for a 2012 adv model.
Mine is black with these of options:

Matching top box
Givi Airflow
Mirror Extenders
Wind deflectors
And new tires

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Before this thread gets completely hijacked.....

I've got my eye on the "new" Tiger 800 as well, as a next bike in a couple years, when all the upgrade farkles on my '11 are justified/depreciated:green_lol:. I expect I'll be able to find a nicely farkled and lightly used '15 for 2/3 - 3/4 the price of a new one like I did my Wee. A patient man is a frugal man.

The '15 model has ride-by-wire, so no more stepper motor issues. The new tranny is reported to be silky smooth and the turbine whine gone. Fuel economy is claimed to be up 17%. (I'll be anxious to find out what kind of mileage BigMan is getting with his.) And finally.....its a Triumph! I sat on one recently and the ergos work fine for me and my 30" inseam. (I'm looking at the "roady" XR model: inch lower seat)
My Wee will always hold a special place for me but frankly, with 94 hp and 59 ft lbs., there's very little NOT to like about this bike.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
The lack of dealer support is a killer for me, and well lets be honest........Triumphs are still not as dependable as the Japanese machines. The 1200 Explorer for example has pretty much been a nightmare, but Triumph has made things right and stands by the products much better than the Japanese. :fineprint:

·
Registered
529 Posts
As Sbeadg inferred , one of our members , Bigman73 , just made the same switch . If anyone would investigate all the comparative features in detail , it would be him .

If you could make it to the NEVA rally , you could meet a great group of Strom riders , spiced up with a few triumphs , and perhaps at least one Super Tenere .

Every year I fight off the urge to upgrade my '09 dl650a....

Alex .

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was looking at a Tiger 800 ('12, I think) before I bought my Strom. Didn't ride it but really liked the look and the bike just seemed... quality. But it was also, at the time, about $2500 more than the Strom and I just couldn't swing it. The XRx has caught my eye as I've been window shopping (definitely not switching bikes again soon) but the price is a LOT more now. It's a nicer bike, to be sure, but I think a lot of what you're paying for is the name.

Still, I really like them (again, haven't ridden one) and if money were no object I'd probably get one. Bummer they don't have the matte colors anymore. Those were killer.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I enjoyed my V-strom, but the itch to get a different bike hit me pretty quick; bought it in 2012 and traded it in 2014 for a Super Tenere. A Triumph was in consideration, but ultimately their lack of dealerships (and lots of good reviews of the S10) made me go with Yamaha. The S10 was the right choice for me and, though I really enjoyed the DL650, I haven't regretted making the move.

Besides, if you do it and you don't like it, they're still making V-Stroms; you can always go back.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Actually, 2 dogs talked me out of a 800XC . . . decided to add the V2 to alternate with my Wee2 & FZ-09. The V2 takes care of my adrenalin fix . . . Swapped the FZ for a NC7X . . . I prefer twins to triples. Plus, I wanted to try a 270 degree crankshaft. It really does feel like a 90 degree twin. The FZ-09 felt too small for me . . . more like a super moto. The FJ-09 is a much better size.

Yes, 3 Similar bikes . . . but, actually very different. Had to gear the NC down to wake it up. It is geared too high from the factory. I'm retired and like trying different bikes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts