StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piet Boonstra's new book Keep Going arrived in the mail today and to my surprise, there he is on the cover, at 80 plus, astride, you guessed it, a 650 V Strom. Piet has over 1 1/4 million miles on forty different motorcycles.
I haven't read this latest book yet but I've enjoyed some of his earlier adventures.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The publisher has not yet chosen Amazon's "Look Inside" feature so that is not available at this time.
Here's some description however:
Amazon.com: Keep Going! The Pleasure and Pain of Perseverance (9780971858954): Piet Boonstra: Books
While I haven't started the read yet (I'm finishing another) I thumbed through it to see if he was riding the Strom when he hit the sheep. He wasn't, it was a BMW 650 Dakar.
Piet's stories can have special significance to those of us old enough to remember Johnnie Ray.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As a teenager I wasn't much of a Johnnie Ray fan but his short lived fame is a time marker of sorts.
Since posting that Piet Boonstra's new book features a V Strom on the cover I realize that many newer riders haven't a clue who he is. If you're interested look here:
Piet Boonstra: Biography of Piet Boonstra

He has an incredible motorcycling history. Quite the man (and a fellow IBMer and New Yorker to boot).

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I guess he's about 87 now. Wow.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazing isn't it. He's slowed a bit but still putting in more miles than many half his age. He loves to ride and, as he's said, he intends to Keep Going.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finished "Keep Going". Piet's experience with his V-Strom (compared to his GS650) would be familiar to us. He found the seat too hard, the handling in heavy cross winds hairy and the front suspension lacking. Not being a member of our forum he apparently didn't know about raising the fork tubes or adding a fork brace, or the relatively easy and inexpensive suspension mods available. In spite of this he put more than 100,000 miles on the Strom in less than 3 years, and commented more than once that the V-Strom was the most reliable bike he's ever owned and he's had over forty in his 85+ years.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I finished "Keep Going". Piet's experience with his V-Strom (compared to his GS650) would be familiar to us. He found the seat too hard, the handling in heavy cross winds hairy and the front suspension lacking. Not being a member of our forum he apparently didn't know about raising the fork tubes or adding a fork brace, or the relatively easy and inexpensive suspension mods available. In spite of this he put more than 100,000 miles on the Strom in less than 3 years, and commented more than once that the V-Strom was the most reliable bike he's ever owned and he's had over forty in his 85+ years.
I don't get why he didn't make a few basic upgrades to sort the bike out for himself?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't get why he didn't make a few basic upgrades to sort the bike out for himself?
I e-mailed him about the upgrades and told him of my experience with Traxxion's set up. He is not on any V-Strom forum and didn't know of our experiences with raising the tubes and adding a fork brace. He had found a windshield that worked for him and since his last cross country has added a
Day Long saddle. He is a tall person with a 34 inch inseam. He found the stock saddle too hard and TOO LOW (first time I've heard that).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just finished reading his books "Motorcycling Stories" and "Keep Going". I'm amazed at his determination to keep riding regardless of medical problems. He tells of his many miles he has rode and all the things that have happened to him and the people he has met along the way. They are both very inspirational books and make me want to go out and make my own adventures.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
upgrades

well, some of us just don't want to work on bikes any more than we have to, which can be not at all on a decent bike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts