StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Right now, Modern Motorcycles (http://www.modernmotorcycling.com/) is having a sale on Kappa Luggage (works out to about 50 whopping percent off. )

I just picked up a full set, side cases and top case today.

If you need luggage, now's your chance.

- BCB.

I got a screaming deal on mine there last year too. Just have to make sure you give Aaron a hard time when you go in. :)

hmmm, might have to pop by there today then. I am looking for larger side cases for distance trips, the e21's aren't quite big enough.

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
might have to pop by there today then. I am looking for larger side cases for distance trips, the e21's aren't quite big enough.
I had a hard time with that too... Seems the side cases jump from 21's to 40 (41?)

I had to keep in mind the cases have to be small enough not to interfere with passenger comfort.

- BCB.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what do you think?

For those of you that have the Kappa luggage, what do you think? Does it seem good quality? I am looking for some luggage for my DL650. With the K40s on the bike, is there enough room for a passenger to be comfortable? Are they durable enough for distance touring (we are thinking Alaska and Mexico in the next year or two). Got any thoughts to share?

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those of you that have the Kappa luggage, what do you think? Does it seem good quality? I am looking for some luggage for my DL650. With the K40s on the bike, is there enough room for a passenger to be comfortable? Are they durable enough for distance touring (we are thinking Alaska and Mexico in the next year or two). Got any thoughts to share?
Since I haven't even installed mine yet, I don't think I'm qualified to answer!

My initial impression is that they look of adequate quality. I have nothing to compare it to, but I have seen no glaring flaws... yet.

I got the K48 top case and e21 side cases, because the side cases would have less impact on the passengers legs, or so I was told.

- BCB.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since I haven't even installed mine yet, I don't think I'm qualified to answer!

My initial impression is that they look of adequate quality. I have nothing to compare it to, but I have seen no glaring flaws... yet.

I got the K48 top case and e21 side cases, because the side cases would have less impact on the passengers legs, or so I was told.

- BCB.
I have the same setup on mine. My only complaint is I wish the side cases were a wee bit bigger. But that said, my girlfriend and I have gone away overnight with the bike and had enough room for everything. It was just when I was off camping and long distance touring that I needed the space. However, a bigger bag still wouldn't have fit the tent/sleeping bag/sleeping pad, I used weather proof kayaking stuff sacks for that.

As far as durability goes, I've had no issues so far. They've been on there through some pretty torrential downpours while traveling on the highway and nothing got wet. I also tipped my bike over in a garage(was spinning it around on the center stand to ride straight out and the center stand folded...) the bike fell over with a full load on it and all that happened was a small scuff on one of the side bags.

·
Registered
39 Posts
installation

Thanks for the feedback about the luggage. It is nice to hear. I put a set of K40s and a K48 top box on hold in Vancouver. I will be heading down to pick them up in a few weeks when I pick up my DL650. Has anyone done the installation of the racks themselves? How easy or hard was it? I can take down a few tools and do it my self but would like to hear how involved it is.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the feedback about the luggage. It is nice to hear. I put a set of K40s and a K48 top box on hold in Vancouver. I will be heading down to pick them up in a few weeks when I pick up my DL650. Has anyone done the installation of the racks themselves? How easy or hard was it? I can take down a few tools and do it my self but would like to hear how involved it is.
I had Modern install the top box for me, only because it was in there for a servicing at the time. Figured they may as well take care of it while it was on the bench. Looks easy enough to install, I had to take the mounting bracket for the top case to install the side case mounts.

The side case mounts were quite easy to put on too. My only suggestion is to get everything on somewhat loosely and once all the bars are connected and in place, then start tightening. Mine had a minor mis-alignment when one side was tightened up tight before doing the other side.

It didn't take many tools, couple of allen wrenches, small screwdriver kit and perhaps a set of pliers(can't recall all the details).

Anyhow, if you want some help mounting them, feel free to PM me and I'll give ya a hand to install them if I'm around when your here.

Cheers

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't ride today...

But I installed the luggage.

Here's a couple of quick pictures:

The rear side bags look really small here, but they seem "big enough", and they clear my wife's legs just fine when she's on the back - I don't think (mounted on these brackets) you could put anything much bigger on it without impacting passenger comfort.

(She really likes the top case as a backrest - she thinks it's quite comfortable.)

I also double-checked - the 48 L top case WILL fit two full-face helmets and close easily. (Not room for much more in there at that point though!)

The installation didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped (it never does) - I managed to over tighten one of the side case mounting grommets and broke it in four pieces. Oops. No biggie though.

- BCB.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kappa and Givi

After talking to the Suzuki rep at the bike show (Aaron) I was led to believe that Kappa and Givi are the same...Firebirds and Camaros, Rangers and B-Series etc...does this seem right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After talking to the Suzuki rep at the bike show (Aaron) I was led to believe that Kappa and Givi are the same...Firebirds and Camaros, Rangers and B-Series etc...does this seem right?
You are correct. In fact the Kappa top case fit the Givi top case mounts on the wife's DL650.

Bario

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mounting brackets even say "Monokey" on them... Although the top and side cases require different keys. Italian is the first language on the instructions as well!

- BCB

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Looks nifty, BCB.

Have you thought about the Kappa backrest? It bolts onto the topcase. Your wife might like that even more. I've got one on my Givi topcase. Means you have to move the case back an inch or two, though, to maintain the same seating posture.

Did the topcase mounting bracket go on easy, or did you have to drill holes into the rack? I wasn't too keen on drilling anything.

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks nifty, BCB.

Have you thought about the Kappa backrest? It bolts onto the topcase. Your wife might like that even more. I've got one on my Givi topcase. Means you have to move the case back an inch or two, though, to maintain the same seating posture.

Did the topcase mounting bracket go on easy, or did you have to drill holes into the rack? I wasn't too keen on drilling anything.
Heya...

I've thought about the backrest, but I want to see how this works without it for a while.

I didn't have to drill anything. The topcase pretty much fell on the bike. The side cases gave me much more grief. I needed to re-read the instructions for the fourth time before I noticed a close-up shot of one step before things "fell into place."

I took it for a little ride today, to see how the luggage affected handling... At "regular" speeds there was no difference. Once I got up to highway speeds I noticed a bit of buffeting, and I was still 20 kms under the maximum 120 km/h limit.

I did Buntzen Lake / Anmore / Ioco just for a quick spin.

- BCB.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyhow, if you want some help mounting them, feel free to PM me and I'll give ya a hand to install them if I'm around when your here.

Cheers
Thanks for the offer rider-geek. It won't be for a couple of weeks but before I head down I will give you a shout to see if you are around and feel like wrenching a little.

BC-Bruce, great pics! Glad to hear the K48 has room for two helmets. Must be nice to be getting out at this point in the season. Here in Prince George things are warming up and it almost felt like spring today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts