StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have - well had - frame sliders on my 2002 DL1000. I have ordered these crash bars and want to replace the right side frame slider and use both together. From the picture it looks like the bar has a bend to allow the frame slider to still be used. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,219 Posts
I have the Givi TN528 crash bars on my 2007 DL1000, which appear to be pretty much the same as the Kappa KN46 bars.

I think the place where the frame slider bar would go is partially covered, but I'll check later to be sure.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Givi TN528 crash bars on my 2007 DL1000, which appear to be pretty much the same as the Kappa KN46 bars.

I think the place where the frame slider bar would go is partially covered, but I'll check later to be sure.
Yeah, the Givi and Kappa are identical, but the Givi costs $10 more. No need to check. I tried, they failed to fit and I sent them back for a refund. Here is what I just wrote on my other thread.

Another thread I should have updated. About two weeks ago I made an earnest attempt to mount the Kappa crash bars with the sliders in place. Nope. You are absolutely right. Such a shame. If only Givi had made that little bend an inch closer to the rear-most frame mounting point, I am sure there would have been room for the frame slider, too.

That said, there is a member here who is making stuff for us - Blair at SV Racing. I saw his frame sliders in some posts from a few years ago that he made with an aluminum spacer that was a smaller diameter than the plastic slider and fit under the crash bar and moved the actual slider out enough to clear the crash bars.

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,219 Posts
Confusing thing about the SV Racing frame sliders: the page (DL650 – DL1000 Vstrom Models MotoSlider Frame Sliders – Store – –SV Racing Parts) says you must have Givi TN532 crash bars. Those are the bars for the DL650, but the page also lists the sliders as DL1000-compatible.

Maybe it doesn't matter? While some dimensions are different between the TN532 (DL650) and TN528 (DL1000) Givi crash bars, I think the way they partially block the frame hole concerned is the same.

I'll ask SV Racing tomorrow.

We put the Givi TN532 on my SO's DL650, and I'm wondering whether adding the frame sliders would be too much of a good thing. Maybe a good Xmas gift.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Confusing thing about the SV Racing frame sliders: the page (DL650 – DL1000 Vstrom Models MotoSlider Frame Sliders – Store – –SV Racing Parts) says you must have Givi TN532 crash bars. Those are the bars for the DL650, but the page also lists the sliders as DL1000-compatible.

Maybe it doesn't matter? While some dimensions are different between the TN532 (DL650) and TN528 (DL1000) Givi crash bars, I think the way they partially block the frame hole concerned is the same.

I'll ask SV Racing tomorrow.

We put the Givi TN532 on my SO's DL650, and I'm wondering whether adding the frame sliders would be too much of a good thing. Maybe a good Xmas gift.
I was really undecided, but figured I would not be doing any more dirt than a proper dirt road. Therefore, I thought I could hedge my bets on more protection for the plastic panels. I think frame sliders would be more risky for causing more damage in a moving fallover offroad. Pavement only for them. Lots of real offroad? Go with crash bars only. I think frame sliders alone give a bit higher level of protection on pavement than crash bars alone.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,219 Posts

Seems you can't have the frame sliders on a DL1000 with Givi bars anyway. Reason seen above. Top: DL1000 with Givi TN528. Bottom: DL650 with TN532.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seems you can't have the frame sliders on a DL1000 with Givi bars anyway. Reason seen above. Top: DL1000 with Givi TN528. Bottom: DL650 with TN532.
So, a kind of related question here:
Can you install the DL1K bars on a DL650, and vice versa? Are dimensionally too different to each other?

(I found out DL1k bars are cheaper than the ones advertised for the DL650)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,219 Posts
So, a kind of related question here:
Can you install the DL1K bars on a DL650, and vice versa? Are dimensionally too different to each other?

(I found out DL1k bars are cheaper than the ones advertised for the DL650)
No, they (DL650 & DL1000 crash bars) are not interchangeable.

It's perhaps not super obvious from the photos, but the triangular sub-frame where one of the engine mounting bolts passes through, is a different shape on the two bikes.

That's why the crash bars partially cover up the mounting bolt on the DL1000, but not on the DL650.

Because this triangular subframe has a different angle on the two bikes, the points where it attaches to the main frame member are also different. Those attachment points are also where you attach crash bars. So you have to have crash bars specifically designed to fit one bike or the other.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You should measure a gen 1 DL1000 & any DL650....again
The triangular engine mount hangers are different for the 1000 & 650...yes...
But the 4 bolts holding the hangers to the main frame are spaced the same on both bikes. Appx 8 7/8" between 2 inner bolts. 12" between 2 outer bolts.

I have always maintained that the frames on the 1000 & 650 were shared until 2012...then the 1000 got the updated frame in 2014...while the 650 continued with the old 1000 frame....& still does!! (way ta watch a nickel Suzy)
Steering head bearings are the same...mabe swingarm brgs are similar too. Footpegs mount the same...

Any crashbar that mounts using the 4 hanger bolts could possibly fit...if they clear the exhaust on the 1000.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,219 Posts
No, the mounting bolts don't have the same spacing. Thus distinct sets of crash bars for the DL650 vs DL1000.

I checked when I had both the 2007 Vee and the 2004 DL650 in the garage. The difference isn't much, something on the order of 1/4" maybe. But it's enough you can't swap the crash bars between models.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,219 Posts
A 2013 DL650 would be second-generation, not first-gen like the two Vstroms I had.

Just because the mounting holes have the same spacing on a first-gen 1000 and second-gen 650 does not guarantee that their crash bars are interchangeable. Givi offers two different sets for these bikes, and there's probably a reason. Placement of radiator, etc.

Trying to save a few bucks by ordering the crash bars designed for a different model Vstrom, whilst hoping they will fit anyway, seems to me a false economy.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Im not sayin that crash bars will interchange.... Only that the frames are the same on all 650s & gen 1 1000s

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,219 Posts
The frames are close but not identical on the first-generation Vstroms. Here's a less-cropped couple of photos. Should make the difference more obvious:

2007 DL1000

2004 DL650

It looks like Suzuki needed one of the engine mounts in a slightly different place for the 650 engine, so they sharpened the angle of the subframe. That meant moving its attachment points to the main frame member closer together. It's not a large difference - under an inch - but it's there.

A lot of stuff is the same since the DL650 was derived from the DL1000, but a lot of stuff differs too.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This is the measurement Im referring to
304mm between frontmost bolt & rearmost bolt to main frame. 40mm between 2 bolts in front & 2 bolts at rear.
The triangular engine hangers are definately different between the 650 & 1st gen 1000...yes

Doesnt matter if the 650 being measured is a 1st 2nd or 3rd gen. They are all the same measurement. If would not make $$ sense for Suzuki to change those measurements.

The 2nd gen 1000 & 1050 have engine hangers incorporated into the main frame to save weight.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Bicycle part
Font Gas Auto part Electronics accessory Electric blue

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys, Thanks for the very well informed replies
When I had my DL1K I got it from the original owner fully farkled I never took the moment to measure the bike just in case I ended buying another 650.
At first I was very tempted to buy a set of DL1K guards for my new-to-me K8 DL650, but ended up buying the Kappa model for my bike. It looks like the Give one, but way cheaper.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Does anyone know if the "no cut" frame sliders (where the long bolt goes through the frame) work on the 2012-2016 DL650s the same as the Gen1 models? A good friend just dropped his new to him Strom and I'm trying to help him out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
As long as he doesnt have crash bars...they should fit. Frames havent changed. I have a Motovation set removed from a 2003 1000

1 - 20 of 20 Posts