StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a DL1000 this year already mounted with 3 Givi cases. Although the E41 Keyless are good cases, I was looking for sturdier ones with a top opening. That’s were my quest began…

I search the net for all the top-opening aluminum cases that can fit my bike. First I found a blog that listed most of the options with pro and con. Real good infos. The author had choosen the Givi Trekker Outback and they seems a really good buy but…Why Givi are making a different rack for these new boxes?

It seems annoying to me to buying a second Givi rack when my bike is already fitted with a sturdy rack…so my quest continues and I found few infos about a «sister» company of Givi named Kappa. I don’t know why they have two production lines but what I found was encouraging.

Kappa make a sidecases kit that look identical to the Givi Outback but that sold with a conversion kit that fit their «standard» rack. After some more research and few e-mails it became clear that the Kappa K-Venture 37 liters cases will fit my standard Givi rack. Just by unscrewing 4 bolts and screwing the conversion kit.

The search continue, this time to find a dealer in Canada or USA but nobody have the Kappa K-Venture sidecases. I finally ordered them from MotoGM in Italy as they had the cheapest price. After two weeks the big box arrived and it takes me 15 minutes to install them! It was easier to install these boxes than changing a tire on a bicycle!!!

I didn’t have the Givi Outback in hand but the Kappa KVenture looks like they are exactly the same except for the Brand embossed on them. The kit included the locks and a third lock to use on a top-case. I also got 6 keys!!!

Still I don’t understand why Givi had choosen to fit the Outback cases on a different mounting hardware but now there is a perfect alternative for the bikes already mounted with a Givi standard rack. I paid 700$CAN for the set. Their value is much higher when compared to Touratech and other high-quality cases. I can’t recommend more these cases!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
"the Kappa K-Venture 37 liters cases will fit my standard Givi rack. Just by unscrewing 4 bolts and screwing the conversion kit"

Do you know the part # for the conversion kit and/or where to buy it?

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
The conversion kit came with my cases. You should be able to contact a Kappa dealer and order just the kit, but I don't know what the part number is. My cases came from UK.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The conversion kit came with my cases. You should be able to contact a Kappa dealer and order just the kit, but I don't know what the part number is. My cases came from UK.
Hey, Bugzy...do you have the Kappa Venture 37 litter cases? And are you using the Kappa-supplied adapters on a Givi rack?

The reason I’m asking is that I just recently installed these on my bike,and I encountered some issues getting the Kappa adapters to fit on the Givi racks. I’ll spare the details for the time being, but I’d like to compare notes with you to figure out what’s wrong on my end.

·
Registered
369 Posts
"the Kappa K-Venture 37 liters cases will fit my standard Givi rack. Just by unscrewing 4 bolts and screwing the conversion kit"

Do you know the part # for the conversion kit and/or where to buy it?
The converter kit is available to buy separately you can get it from Motostorm.it in Italy, item number KVE37KITR

The adapter kit is included with the kventure panniers but you can buy the second adapter kit if for example you had a second bike.
The kventures are great panniers for touring,I use Givi E21's most of the time though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The converter kit is available to buy separately you can get it from Motostorm.it in Italy, item number KVE37KITR

The adapter kit is included with the kventure panniers but you can buy the second adapter kit if for example you had a second bike.
The kventures are great panniers for touring,I use Givi E21's most of the time though.
Broc11, do you have the adapter brackets off the bike? If so, could you measure the distance between the the screw stud and bottom of the narrow part of the L shape?

Cryptic request, I know. But it would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the kappa side boxes and they are great.

Oddly enough, when I bought the top case, the GIVI one was on sale for less money (about $30-50 less) and I put that on instead. Bought three sets of matching locks and switched them out and now I have one key for all the boxes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes I have them off at the minute, I usually clip them onto the panniers so as the won't get lost, I'm not sure I know what you want me to measure, but I'll have ago anyway, standby..

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes I have them off at the minute, I usually clip them onto the panniers so as the won't get lost, I'm not sure I know what you want me to measure, but I'll have ago anyway, standby..
Yeah, it’s hard to explain clearly. Let’s say from the bottom of the screw stud to the bottom of the ledge that’s directly above the stud.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Hey, Bugzy...do you have the Kappa Venture 37 litter cases? And are you using the Kappa-supplied adapters on a Givi rack?

The reason I’m asking is that I just recently installed these on my bike,and I encountered some issues getting the Kappa adapters to fit on the Givi racks. I’ll spare the details for the time being, but I’d like to compare notes with you to figure out what’s wrong on my end.
Which Givi racks do you have? Mine used to be Monokey (Givi PLR3105) and is now converted to the Kappa mount. I didn't have any issues with the adapter, bolts all fit perfectly from what I recall.

Maybe you have Givi PL3105CAM Side Case Racks?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Which Givi racks do you have? Mine used to be Monokey (Givi PLR3105) and is now converted to the Kappa mount. I didn't have any issues with the adapter, bolts all fit perfectly from what I recall.

Maybe you have Givi PL3105CAM Side Case Racks?
I have PL racks (PL3112 for the Wee3). I had to take the little wedge shaped Monokey thing off to install the Kappa adapter. Problem is that the adapter did quite clear the tall part of the rack.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, it’s hard to explain clearly. Let’s say from the bottom of the screw stud to the bottom of the ledge that’s directly above the stud.
Ok I think I know what you mean, it measures 17mm not sure what that converts to in US$ :smile2:

ok the digital caliper converts it to .669 inches, but that's still metric!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok I think I know what you mean, it measures 17mm not sure what that converts to in US$ :smile2:

ok the digital caliper converts it to .669 inches, but that's still metric!!
Thanks very much for checking that. I have emails in to the vendor (Motostorm) and to Kappa. We’ll see what they come back with.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
I have PL racks (PL3112 for the Wee3). I had to take the little wedge shaped Monokey thing off to install the Kappa adapter. Problem is that the adapter did quite clear the tall part of the rack.
That is the problem, my rack goes straight across, yours has a bend in it. Maybe you can find a way to shim the mount up a little higher so the case pin doesn't hit the bar behind?

·
Registered
429 Posts
That is the problem, my rack goes straight across, yours has a bend in it. Maybe you can find a way to shim the mount up a little higher so the case pin doesn't hit the bar behind?
Yeah, maybe. I’ll need to give it some thought. Motostorm assured me that the PL3112 racks were compatible, so I’m a bit disappointed. I mean, they’re mounted, but it’s not quite right.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow...excellent customer service from Motostorm! I sent them an inquiry about the issue yesterday afternoon, and I got the following response this morning:

Hi Scott,
kappa have contacted me about your problem. It seems that there is a problem with the production of the rack.
They have confirmed that they are producing a new version of this rack and it should be ready before Christmas.

They will be sending it to us as soon as it arrives we will be sending it on to you.

Best Regards.

Andrea Lenihan
Motostorm srl
Tel. 0541 857848
www.motostorm.it

I'm impressed!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts