StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 DL650 and have been having problems with the Kaoko throttle lock that I had installed. The Kaoko lock seems to slip and won't hold the throttle in the desired position. I have Oxford heated grips and both the grips and the Kaoko throttle lock were installed professionally by my local Suzuki dealer but I purchased the parts from another supplier. I've asked my local dealer about the problem but he hasn't been overly helpful as they are not the brand/type that he supplies and services. I also have handguards which i believe are the suzuki stock guards but am not positive as i bought the bike used and they came with it. I've included a picture if it helps.

This is my first post in this forum so am not sure if I've done this correctly but would love to hear from anyone who has a solution to my problem.

thanks,
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
To me it looks like it may need to be adjusted closer to the grips. altho I did not install mine the P.O. did mine looks closer to the grip than yours. I would assume that you could loosen the bar end screw and adjust it in. I would make sure the throttle lock is in is farthest off rotation and then test for function before starting the bike.

this is a photo of my DL1000

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Take it all apart and put it back together again.

I have an 04 Wee with OEM handguards, OEM heated grips and a Kaoko. When I first installed the Kaoko it really wasn't catching enough of the end of the bar to lock the throttle fully. I took everything apart, followed instructions, now it works as it should.

Be aware that it really won't keep a consistent speed owing to variations in the road and load. If you leave the Kaoko just a little less than locked you'll be able to make the little throttle adjustments as you ride to keep a constant speed.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Take it all apart and put iy back together again.

Be aware that it really won't keep a consistent speed owing to variations in the road and load. If you leave the Kaoko just a little less than locked you'll be able to make the little throttle adjustments as you ride to keep a constant speed.
Ditto on both. The unit needs to be pushed harder against the throttle tube if it slips easily.

And, rather than a "lock," I too use it so that it's taking 90% of the closing pressure off. That allows me to make minor adjustments as the traffic and terrain change, while still getting the benefit of not having the pressure of the throttle return spring working against my wrist.

·
Registered
463 Posts
KTL Slips

I have the Oxford heaters, KTL, and Bark Buster hand guards, all installed by me. With the BB HG I can't use bar end weights though I would If I could. My KTL does not slip as you describe but it does creep if I lose my concentration and let my R little finger work on it. I have been "surprised" a few times when the throttle seem stuck and I had to roll it back forcefully--worse when I don't roll the back because I don't in the moment recall forward is go and back is stop. So, when I use the KTL, I use my little finger to move it backward until there is some resistance and then grab the whole rotating mass and adjust the KTL so that it isn't locking the grip but it does slow its motion. If I release the grip I want it to roll back on its own but I don't want to have to use much force to hold it either: I am trying relax my hand. In this position I can crank the KTL just a bit more and put my hand down on my leg briefly. The gent who suggested taking it apart had the right idea and it is easily done. But first, I'd try rotating the KTL all the back with the engine off to see if at that point there is enough friction so you can't move the grip. If you never reach that point you then know how much you have to screw in the KTL friction lock that goes into the end of the handle bar, which will get the plastic wheel closer to Oxford to produce some friction. I can rotate it forward so much that I think it's not working when I try it on the fly. I have a Cam-Lock on my Vstar 650 that I like better but the KTL is the only way to go with Oxford, I think.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Take it all apart and put it back together again.

If you leave the Kaoko just a little less than locked you'll be able to make the little throttle adjustments as you ride to keep a constant speed.
^^^^^^ Just installed mine last week. I had to install and reinstall mine to get it right, had to move the throttle a bit. Works good on ProTaper bars. My xmas gift from my son. Great to have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone had problems with these staying "off" when you don't want them? Mine always seems to loosen up from the closed position, very annoying. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone had problems with these staying "off" when you don't want them? Mine always seems to loosen up from the closed position, very annoying. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Waddaya

My Kaoko will creep to a fairly high level of friction because my gloved hand covers nearly the whole of the grip and I have been surprised in the past when the throttle did not back off on its own. The solution, as has been said, is to keep the Kaoko nearly locked so that it will maintain position if I removed my hand but I can still turn it forward. This way when I slow for a light I know I have to apply pressure to reduce power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts