StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install my Kaoko Throttle Lock on my K6DL650 and I can't seem to fit the assembly into the end of my handlebar. The flat spot on the locking nut is supposed to align with the weld seem on the inside of the bar, but I can't find any orientation that allows it to slide in. I don't really want to start beating on it with a hammer. Anybody done this before?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
My Kaoko just slipped right in. There was no orientation issues at all, so I don't know.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Make sure the end of handlebar has no burrs on inside. As I recall, handlebar seam was about 7:00 looking at bar end. Long bolt must be loose enough to allow locknut to move freely. Mine was snugg but went in okay. Works great!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wrong part

I put a caliper on the barrel of the Kaoko and it read .685". I put the caliper inside the handlebar and read .678". I suspect that the part I received is for another model of motorcycle. I will ask for a recount tomorrow from my supplier.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke to amotostuff and it appears that this is a common problem for V-strom installations. I took my parts to a local tool shop to be turned down, but the split barrel was going to be a problem. He fashioned me a reamer. He took a reamer of the right diameter, cut down the shank and turned it down to fit into my 3/8" drill. ($20) I reamed out the right handlebar and the barrel slipped right in. Installation completed. Boy is it nice to work with the right tools!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I put this part on my DL1k. It couldn't have been easier, I just backed the bolt out until there was plenty of slop in the part that goes into the bar; slid it in, clipped the handguard in place, and tightened it up. It's a very nice piece, BTW. At first I thought I liked the "trigger" type I had on my Connie better, but after using it a while, I've changed my mind. The trigger type is either on or off. The Kaoko lets you dial in the friction; maybe you don't want a full lock, just some tension to smooth things out.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kaoko not working as advertised

I installed the Kaoko on my 650 and it has never worked to my satisfaction. Spacing between face of Kaoko was more than 1/8" away from end of throttle. No amount of adjustment on Kaoko could make up the difference. Finally bought a rubber o-ring from Ace Hardware to fill in the gap. Worked OK until winter showed up then o-ring shrank in the cold and it does not work at all now. Ideas anyone?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
What?

I installed the Kaoko on my 650 and it has never worked to my satisfaction. Spacing between face of Kaoko was more than 1/8" away from end of throttle. No amount of adjustment on Kaoko could make up the difference. Finally bought a rubber o-ring from Ace Hardware to fill in the gap. Worked OK until winter showed up then o-ring shrank in the cold and it does not work at all now. Ideas anyone?

Thanks
Bigpapa
That sounds as if you don't have the Kaoko all the way in the handle bar. Try backing off the nerld nut, all the way to the end away from the handle bar, loosen the unit and try shoving it in further. I have had several of these throttle locks and have never had that problem. Did you check in side the handle bar and see if there was anything obstructing the unit from sliding all the way in?

Just my $2 worth (GW inflation of $.02)

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Loosen the throttle assembly and slide it 3/16" towards the end of the handlebar.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts

Thanks
I had the same problem. You only have 2 choices. First, you can move throttle control over closer to bar end. Kind of a pain, since control has a locating nub that corresponds with hole in handle bar. Second option is to grind a little off end of handle bar (about 1/8"), so that throttle lock is closer to grip end. This is the route I went. Since I had a small hand held Dewalt grinder, it was no big deal 15 min or so. Make sure you deburr inside of handle bar so throttle lock can slide in a far as possible. Kaoko throttle lock works great especially with big fat winter gloved hands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts