StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided since nobody makes an exhaust for the K7 yet, I would try this mod, kind of like the mod on the 1k mufflers. I usually don't have much luck with muffler mods, but this turned out really good, not to loud and a deep tone. :) First I had to cut the tiny weld off of the button head screws that hold on the end cap with a die grinder. You very carefully cut the button head side of the weld, back on the button head a little so if you go a little to deep the new button head screw will cover it up. When you get almost through you can pop the screw loose with a good allen wrench.

Then I used a 1 1/4" hole saw to cut three holes. Then I painted the holes with high temp header paint in flat black.

Then I put the end cap back on with new button head screws.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wish I was smart enough to put one on here for you. :)

Looks good. I'd not thought of that. Do you think if I called you on the phone, you could make the sound of the before and after sounds using just your voice. I'd give you a few minutes to warm up the vocal cords to get the melody of the pipes about right : ))

JDP

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
Cut the pea shooter off and you will complete the modification. You probably should have tried that first, I have heard of several satisfied people who have done only that.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good. I'd not thought of that. Do you think if I called you on the phone, you could make the sound of the before and after sounds using just your voice. I'd give you a few minutes to warm up the vocal cords to get the melody of the pipes about right : ))

JDP
Good JDP, real good, and thats probably the ONLY way they will get a sound clip out of me. :) Bruuuum bruuuum, hows that sound. :)

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cut the pea shooter off and you will complete the modification. You probably should have tried that first, I have heard of several satisfied people who have done only that.

I thought about that Brian, but thought it would be to loud. It would look better though. I thought the holes around the edge under the end cap would give me a little tone and still retain a small amount of back pressure. I have had Staintunes and Scorpions on all my SV650's (4) and it comes closer to the Staintune with the baffle out and the Scorpion being a little louder IMO. I have a Saintune ordered but it might take a couple months to get it. I haven't been able to ride it down the road because of the weather but it sounds pretty good in the garage. If it sounds as good on the road I'll have to think real hard about the Staintune, although looks will play a big part in it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good JDP, real good, and thats probably the ONLY way they will get a sound clip out of me. :) Bruuuum bruuuum, hows that sound. :)
That does sound pretty darn good. BTW, you said you painted the holes. I can't quite picture how the paint stays on the holes, but I will get it in time, hehe. Is this to prevent corrosion or the metal-my guess.

JDP

·
Registered
195 Posts
'member when wile e. coyote would paint holes on rocks and roadrunner would go right thru them ?? same thing......honest!!

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, OK, you guys are real cute. It is a K7abs though. :)

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Took your advice Brian, took the pee shooter out but didn't cut through the baffle. Thanks for the idea. I painted the holes again too. :O)

·
Registered
271 Posts
OK, OK, you guys are real cute. It is a K7abs though. :)
OK you don't have to rub it in that you got your K7ABS while us peons still are waiting on ours, LOL. I do like the sound of the Brummm, Brummm though. Seriously, is this modification one that will not pose any long term negative effects for the exhaust? (as long as the holes retain the paint in the thin air, hehe-sorry couldn't resist). Does the color of the paint used matter (now stop it!!!!!)?

JDP

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I tried the 4 hole approach on my K5Wee, didnt like it at all. Too much of a pffft pfffft sound. I made an aluminum plate to cover up the drilled holes, cut off the peashooter and presto!...sounds great. Not much louder, but a nice lower tone, and I can actually hear it on the hwy. You cant tell the real difference until you put the stainless cover back on, after you have cut the peashooter off.

I used a dremel with a small diamond bit disc to remove the small weld on each of the 3 screws. If you are real careful, you cant even tell once you have completed the job.

Cheers!

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried the 4 hole approach on my K5Wee, didnt like it at all. Too much of a pffft pfffft sound. I made an aluminum plate to cover up the drilled holes, cut off the peashooter and presto!...sounds great. Not much louder, but a nice lower tone, and I can actually hear it on the hwy. You cant tell the real difference until you put the stainless cover back on, after you have cut the peashooter off.

I used a dremel with a small diamond bit disc to remove the small weld on each of the 3 screws. If you are real careful, you cant even tell once you have completed the job.

Cheers!
Hmmm, thats what I did, pictures are on the first thread. I don't know what size holes you drilled, but i used a 1 1/4" hole saw for three holes and didn't have any pffft sound. Thats what I said in the first thread, that I haven't had much luck with muffler mods because of the pffft sound but I only used 1/4" or 1/2" holes.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seriously, is this modification one that will not pose any long term negative effects for the exhaust? (as long as the holes retain the paint in the thin air, hehe-sorry couldn't resist). Does the color of the paint used matter (now stop it!!!!!)?

JDP

As long as the BLACK paint doesn't come off the holes it should be ok! :) Wait a minute, I have to go check and see if my holes are dry...........

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I have to eat crow on this one. The bike sounded great at idle and reving the motor in the garage. I got a chance to get it out on the road tonight and I wasn't pleased with what I heard. It sounded great going through the gears, but when I set it at a steady drone of 65 or 70 mph it was to loud for my taste. If anybody tried this, I'm sorry, unless you like it louder than I do.
I will plug mine and wait for the Staintune to get here.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
Ok, I have to eat crow on this one. The bike sounded great at idle and reving the motor in the garage. I got a chance to get it out on the road tonight and I wasn't pleased with what I heard. It sounded great going through the gears, but when I set it at a steady drone of 65 or 70 mph it was to loud for my taste. If anybody tried this, I'm sorry, unless you like it louder than I do.
You wouldn't like my Leo Vince exhausts!!!!!!!:mrgreen: Sounds like sweet music to me. Plug your holes, and you just might like how it sounds with the pea shooter off.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I'll wait to hear how your staintune sounds. Tune up your vocal cords again. I doubt there is a way to fabricate something for the Scorpion pipe I've got. I hate to part with it but will put on ebay when I get a chance I suppose. Do you know if there are any other aftermarket options other than Staintune?

JDP

·
Registered
9 Posts
perfect

This is what I needed to see. Thank you.
I decided since nobody makes an exhaust for the K7 yet, I would try this mod, kind of like the mod on the 1k mufflers. I usually don't have much luck with muffler mods, but this turned out really good, not to loud and a deep tone. :) First I had to cut the tiny weld off of the button head screws that hold on the end cap with a die grinder. You very carefully cut the button head side of the weld, back on the button head a little so if you go a little to deep the new button head screw will cover it up. When you get almost through you can pop the screw loose with a good allen wrench.

Then I used a 1 1/4" hole saw to cut three holes. Then I painted the holes with high temp header paint in flat black.

Then I put the end cap back on with new button head screws.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts