Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t get many opportunities to get out for rides just for fun. I’ve been commuting daily on my K7 but yesterday the wife and kids were at a birthday party and I was able to get out on a nice 4 hr ride. I covered a variety of terrain from twistys, to highway, interstate, gravel/dirt etc. the bike is overall an absolute win for me. I recently swapped to a 14t front sprocket and I think if I did a lot of interstate I’d go back to a 15t (maybe) but for 60 to 75 mph the 14t seems fine. In loose gravel the bike felt a little squirrely at first with the front tire wandering (Anakee 3s) but the solution was just gassing it up and going a little faster and allowing the bike to float around a little. Had some strong winds when a cold front came through, that was a little unnerving at times, and hoping the fork brace that’s arriving Monday helps that a little. I’ve had a number of bikes, but on this little cruise I could tell this is the most comfortable and least fatiguing bike I’ve ever owned. I have a Seargent seat which was comfortable, it was hot so I had the windscreen on the lowest angled position on the Madstad bracket and got plenty of breeze. Bike felt stable as fast I went running up to 100mph once for a stretch. I’ve never done a long motorcycle trip, but this bike feels like it would make one very enjoyable. The only issue I had was my hands did get a little numb despite loose grip, which was cured by putting on my gloves for awhile. My elbows got a little stiff, but that was mostly from some tendinitis from lifting. Was a great first longer ride on my 650.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's terrific! I feel the same way about my 650, like I just want to ride it more and farther. It has been along time since my last long distance ride, but I agree, this is a bike that invites it. I found that handlebar risers helped the numb hands and wrists a lot. Enjoy the ride and stay safe out there. DD

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's terrific! I feel the same way about my 650, like I just want to ride it more and farther. It has been along time since my last long distance ride, but I agree, this is a bike that invites it. I found that handlebar risers helped the numb hands and wrists a lot. Enjoy the ride and stay safe out there. DD

I’ve got bar back risers I’m sure they help. I might have been gripping a little tight at times when I was getting blown around though. I had to remind myself to loosen up a few times. For as heavy the bike is, it still gets rocked around pretty good by strong crosswinds lol. I was surprised just how stable it felt at higher speeds. I wasn’t loaded down but it really cruises nice. Might need to start doing some longer trips. Maybe when the kids go back to school I’ll get a little solo vacation ride.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Excellent! I managed to do a 400 mile ride last Thursday from Portland Oregon, up the Columbia Gorge, down towards Central Oregon (Bend), over to Sisters and Salem, then home...

Mix of slab and two lane roads. Had a blast on my new K9 V-Strom. Bought it two weeks ago with 6000 miles and I'm racking them up. Owned a Kawi Versys for a year...this bike is way more fun with the 19" front tire. Just seems better built.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
A nice fork brace will make you happy. There is a definite difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts