StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just got the opportunity to put the first significant miles on my new to me K7 DL 1000. 8K on the clock and I have a few observtions and questions;

1st: Boy is this brute geared high. Only when I hit the highway at sustained 70mph speeds was she even remotely happy and sixth gear really usable. I had researched many a thread about gearing and will try the 16T mod first. I ride mostly back roads and rarely above 70mph. This engine seems happiest at between 4,500 and 6,000 rpm. does that sound right?

2cd: This moto is surprisinly nimble. Granted I am a big man and thus can manhandle a 550lb machine easier than some but I am very happy, as this bike will be set up for an extended epic north American/Canada/Alaska tour next summer

3rd: Anyone out there have any issues with the shifter being too short? I mean when riding in a relaxed position the shifter barely touches my boot and I have to make a concentrated effort to cock my toe inwards to make contact. Perhaps there are some aftermarket ones that will work for me. What say you?

4th I don't seem to be able to get my ass far enough aft to be comfortable. I am literally riding up on the pillion portion of the seat. After about 30 minutes though I had a good bum numb going and the obvious Chinese torcher that this seat will most likely inflict on me had me on the phone to Corbin. I have had good luck with their seats and am hoping for the same on this bike.

5th: Mirrors suck. Must be something better. Tuono perhaps?

6th: Aftermarket Givi screen very close to perfect. I did not realize that I could move it up one more notch and will try that. If I need more, does th Madsad work as advertised?

7th: I have learned alot from everyone here and want to thank all of your collective knowledge of these machines and your willingness to share it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And............... brakes are weak. SS brake lines and upgraded pads? Yeah I am picky and want her to be as good as she can be.

·
Registered
832 Posts
1st: Yes, the big Strom was geared tall with the German sport touring market in mind (for which the 2002 1K was originally designed). I rarely get near 6K rpm because I've retained and actually don't mind the tall gearing. 16/43 seems to be a good choice for the guys who dislike the tallness of the factory 17/41 ratio.

2nd: Agreed, nimble for what it is.

3rd: I had the same problem until I installed a pair of SW Motech convertible foot pegs. Using the lower peg mount setting served to effectively raise the shift lever to what I'd consider a normal height, with no more pigeon-toeing required to shift properly. The SWM pegs are a bit pricey for what they are (I purchased mine used), but they are admittedly quite practical, esp. for those gents who are long of leg (ahem)
SW-MOTECH On-Road/Off-Road Footpegs (Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 '02-'07) - FRS.17.011.10000.S : TwistedThrottle.com

4th: You need a custom saddle, as I did. I'm at the point now where I factor the cost of a replacement saddle into the acquisition price of every motorcycle that I purchase.

5th: Subjective. I don't have any complaints about the mirrors.
6th: I don't use a Madstad. Guys that do seem to like and recommend them. I'm not really bothered by the stock windscreen, which is nice because I think the Madstad is a bit overpriced (shades of SW Motech again...)
7th: You're welcome.

------------------------

Yes, the factory binders on the 1K are strictly parts-bin, price-point fitments. They work OK, but there's certainly room for improvement.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Brakes are OK with a wooden feel. they'll skid the tires unless there is something wrong with them. EBC-HH or Galfer-HH front pads work very well. Stainless brake hoses are probably a waste of money unless the original hoses are deteriorated and swell under pressure. Svracingparts.com has adapters for four piston calipers which work very well...and take different shape pads.

5--Tuono or KTM Duke or a few low price (but OK) aftermarket mirrors.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
G'Day bigphish,
Have had my K7 for about 2 1/2 years and have found it to be a awesome bike for touring but have the some of the issues you mention.
1. Have now worn out the chain and waiting on new chain and sprockets ( 16f/43r ) which by all acounts is a good setup. Some only change to the 43r and find it fine but I needed a new front sprocket so will give it a go, if its to much I can always change back to a 17f.
3. Dont have any issues with the shifter but Im sure someone will have changed theirs out.
4. I am 6'1" and dont have any real issues with the seat unless its been a long day (10hrs or so)
5. Try mirror extenders.
6. I have the madstrad with large Givi screen and find it fine, have a look at the Givi Airflow screen, has been described to me as being so calm behing it the rider is looking for an ashtray.
Yes the brakes need some help, next on my list.

Cheers

·
Registered
278 Posts
And............... brakes are weak. SS brake lines and upgraded pads? Yeah I am picky and want her to be as good as she can be.
Don't stop there then get the SV Racing 4 piston caliper adapters and really give it good brakes.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The engine is not happy until 4000 rpms and rarely do I take it above 6k.
A power commander helped with the lower rpms tooling around town. Stock seat is a hemorrhoid buster. Drive the bike in 5th unless your doing 70. If I do allot of 6th gear riding my gas mileage goes above 48 mpg, take advantage of it!!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just installed Galfer HH pads up front last weekend, big difference in slow down power. Back brakes feel like I have bars of soap in the calipers, not brake pads, in comparison. Galfer HH on the way for that end too.

At this point, no need for stainless steel lines at all.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
The gearing thing I find amusing. You do NOT have to ride around in 6th gear, it is not a rule. If you are on a 2 lane twisty or hilly 5th or even 4th all day.

After teka and tre my 6th is ok down to 50 MPH and runs fine at 60

It is happy to motor along on the real world expressways at 70 plus like the cars and trucks... Its intensional over drive.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gearing thing I find amusing. You do NOT have to ride around in 6th gear, it is not a rule. If you are on a 2 lane twisty or hilly 5th or even 4th all day.

After teka and tre my 6th is ok down to 50 MPH and runs fine at 60

It is happy to motor along on the real world expressways at 70 plus like the cars and trucks... Its intensional over drive.
I know, I rode around today nearly 150 miles and did not use 6th except about 10 miles. The bike just seems to lug a bit under load in the lower gears. As Tall Man mentioned in his post I think this bike was originally designed for autobahn use. Not my intended use at this time.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
my list is not required stuff but will give you an idea of what i've done so far in preparation for a south america trip which has been delayed by a planned wedding, shitty economy, and now a broken leg/ankle.

handlebars: pro taper contour in raptor bend + adjustable bar backs
acerbis handguards
asv adjustable brake and clutch levers
kaoko throttle lock
touratech gps holder for garmin 478
seat re-done by spencers (awesome for little $$)
cal sci medium shield
madstad
alt rider engine guards
radiator guard
oil cooler guard
narcosis junky skid plate
blair's 4 pot brackets + tokico 4 pots up front + ebc hh pads + ss lines
mosfet regulator
eastern beaver pc8 + headlight harness
sonic springs up front (waiting on cash for sasquatch rebuild on rear)
touratech folding gear lever
richland rick footpeg lowering kit & fork brace + dashboard with voltmeter
full set of hepco & becker gobi bags

crap! i've spent some change on this ride! but i love it! too bad i can't ride it for the next few months...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my list is not required stuff but will give you an idea of what i've done so far in preparation for a south america trip which has been delayed by a planned wedding, shitty economy, and now a broken leg/ankle.

handlebars: pro taper contour in raptor bend + adjustable bar backs
acerbis handguards
asv adjustable brake and clutch levers
kaoko throttle lock
touratech gps holder for garmin 478
seat re-done by spencers (awesome for little $$)
cal sci medium shield
madstad
alt rider engine guards
radiator guard
oil cooler guard
narcosis junky skid plate
blair's 4 pot brackets + tokico 4 pots up front + ebc hh pads + ss lines
mosfet regulator
eastern beaver pc8 + headlight harness
sonic springs up front (waiting on cash for sasquatch rebuild on rear)
touratech folding gear lever
richland rick footpeg lowering kit & fork brace + dashboard with voltmeter
full set of hepco & becker gobi bags

crap! i've spent some change on this ride! but i love it! too bad i can't ride it for the next few months...
Hey TeeVee

How do you like those Gobi's? They are on my short list

·
Registered
462 Posts
shifter too short

You mentioned you thought the shifter was too short. Try getting a folding shifter for a DR 650. It bolts right to the shaft instead of having a linkage from underneath the peg. It will make the distance from peg to the part of the shifter you push on a little longer, and it folds rather than breaks in a get off. I can't remember what year the one I got is for but the DR has not changed much over a long time so it shouldn't be too hard to get the right one.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
hey bigphish. i love the gobis. people complain that they are wide compared to aluminum bags. but, they are double walled and very tough. not to mention that you can smuggle several liters of "liquid" in between the walls. they double as decent, though not perfect coolers too.

they go on and come off very easily and are waterproof as your skin!

here's a link to what they look like on my bike. i've since removed the rotopax fuel packs and DO NOT recommend mounting them this way. http://s830.photobucket.com/albums/zz225/TeeVee1/VStrom/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts