StromTrooper banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Yep, definitely worth securing the pressure regulator while you're in there.

I'm not sure whether I mentioned it, but you don't have to drain the tank entirely to do this job. Ride until you have the last bar on the fuel gage flashing. You can do as I did and, after removing tank from bike, sit it so that the small amount of remaining fuel sloshes into the "lobes" at the front. Then pull the fuel pump to proceed with the fun. This is much easier than attempting to drain the tank entirely.

I would stuff a rag or something into the hole left. No reason to have the remaining gas exposed to the atmosphere. It might or might not evaporate if left to sit for a while, but the less gasoline fumes present in my garage, the better.

One thing I like about this project is that you get to design your own fuel delivery hose. The factory one is fine, but you can take this opportunity to select a length and routing that works for you. Some folks have added enough hose so that the new inline filter is accessible without a tank lift, and its attendant plastics removal. Since the fuel system is pressurized, length of hose run shouldn't matter, within reason.

I used a Wix 33095 filter. Others have installed the Napa Gold 3023 or similar. I wish someone who used the larger Napa filters would post a picture of their hose routing. I couldn't work out how to do it without using either a lot of extra hose or a bunch of adapters, due to the large minimum bend radius of FI hose.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Unfortunately I just filled up, but if it will stop raining I can burn a little off. Thankfully the only issue I currently have is when I crack the throttle to WOT it stumbles, so if I am riding normally I don’t have any issues. I’ll wait until I have the parts gathered to do the mod, as leaving stuff opened up and lying around (like open gas tanks) is an issue with a curious two year old wandering around 🤪. My only concern about placement is just that I already have an extra harness for my auxiliary fuse block that runs along the left side of the bike just inside of the frame. I’m sure I’ll be able to figure something out, but I’ll definitely want to look at the filters in person.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
You shouldn't need to have the fuel pump out for all that long. I was just being very careful (and therefore slow) when removing the pump, breaking it down far enough to drill the bypass hole, & putting it all back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently I did the same modification to my SV 1000 and used the same filter wixx 33095. I asked wixx about it's applicability in efi systems and responded this:

33095 is only recommended for carburetor use. An inline fuel filter with barded ends can only handle
about 20 psi before the fuel lines begin to slip.

I see a lot of people using it without problems, just wanted to inform you about it. I decided to order a mahle kl145 which filters 10 microns, is used in many bikes but it's bigger. Didnt yet installed it.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I assume they mean "barbed" ends? Fittings on the Mahle filter look similar, so I don't know why that would matter.

I used fuel injection clamps (not hose clamps) to secure fuel injection hose to the ends of the Wix. Seemed obvious to me. Are some people just shoving hose on there and relying on friction to keep it in place?

Zero leaks after several thousand miles.

I think some people are overthinking it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I also used FI clamps.. Anyway, seems that it's ok to use this filter based on many reviews. I will leave it for now and then switch to the bigger mahle filter.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
If you route the hose so that the filter is outside the frame, you can use as big a filter as you like. I've seen some inline filter mods that did so.

I wasn't comfortable doing that. Routing fuel lines in an exposed manner seemed like a Bad Idea. Convenient for maintenance, though, sure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The filter arrived.. It's actually the MANN Mwk44 (same code as the Mahle Kl145) used In many bikes .

MANN-FILTER Online Catalog Europe - Product Details Fuel Filter MWK 44.

It's not so big and can fit fine between the frame and the throttle body. Had to play a bit with the hose width to work with the tank closed and opened. Looks good.

I would never route the filter outside of the frame for safety reasons...

Attachments

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Nice, very clean installation. I think next time I have the airbox open for changing the filter, I may re-assess my inline fuel filter location. Will definitely do a flow test, just for curiosity's sake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice, very clean installation. I think next time I have the airbox open for changing the filter, I may re-assess my inline fuel filter location. Will definitely do a flow test, just for curiosity's sake.
My airbox is always open so no problem there :D. Mine flows around 500 ml at 10 seconds now.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts