StromTrooper banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I can't picture it. If you route the fuel hose past the pump outlet, at some point you're going to have to make a 180° turn to get back to it. FI hose doesn't do small bend radius, so it seems like looping back to connect in the way described would take a lot of room.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ugh, still getting angry red light and FI message intermittently.

I finally caught the code though. C28. Possibly I didn't plug the secondary throttle valve actuator back in all the way. Yep...just as well I didn't button everything up yet.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Mystery solved. Opened the air box and guess what, I forgot to remove the paper towels I'd stuffed in the intake horns to keep other things from falling in.

I'm surprised the engine ran well at all like this, and glad the paper towels didn't just get sucked in.

That's gotta be what was messing with the STVA. Post-removal-of-paper test showed totally normal STV operation, as did reading of STVA resistance (6.8 ohms).

Getting her buttoned back up and planning a ride later. Finally!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Super stoked for you!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks! Went out for a longer ride. No angry red eye, no issues in general, it's nice to have my engine back! All of it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
And the million dollar question: no leaks?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Oh; I meant water leaks! Wrong thread. :)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
More photos.

The factory fuel line has no special heat shielding. Even so, I was not super comfortable putting the new line, plus inline filter, right next to the engine, unshielded.

Inline fuel filters in cars typically are well away from the engine, so heat shielding isn't needed. For example, on my car the fuel filter is inside the frame on the passenger's side. It's got a metal cage around it to protect it from road debris, but heat isn't a concern as it's nowhere close to the engine compartment.

But the Vstrom fuel line - with inline filter - would be right next to the hot engine. So I set up some heat shielding. I put a woven heat sleeve on the line itself:

Not the final result - I still had to trim and adjust the line a couple of times for everything to fit.

The sleeving is this stuff:

I used Cooltape (https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010408-Self-Adhesive-Reflective/dp/B000E283S0) to wrap the filter, and to cover any gaps.

Both products will block just about 100% of IR radiation, which is the concern here.

Sorry, no photo of the final result. I was too excited about finally being done to stop and take pictures.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That thingy I noticed in post #6 above is definitely part of the tank venting system.

I got a good look at the plumbing for that, when I had the fuel pump out.

The orange color on the pipe seems to be some kind of paint, or something left over from brazing maybe (it appears to be a copper tube)? Most likely not rust, which is a relief.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Months later update:

Wix 33095 filter is still doing fine.

I did have the fuel pressure regulator come loose from the pump, due to me doing a stupid maneuver that jarred the whole bike quite hard. I'm lucky that's all that broke. Well, that and my fork seals are screwed, which is actually ok since I was planning a fork rebuild (stiffer springs, different oil) anyway.

Without the fuel pressure regulator in place, or partially dislodged, surprisingly the engine will run, though it will run like garbage. You'll get surging, stuttering when opening the throttle, lack of power, all sorts of bad juju.

Given that only a plastic clip is holding the regulator in place, it might be a good idea to safety wire the regulator in place, since you have the fuel pump out of the tank anyway. That's how a shop fixed my problem. Didn't even charge for the wire, just the labor.

This fix (safety wire around FPR) was discussed on an old vsri thread. I'll link later.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks, saves me the trouble!

Having the engine run as it should is one of those things impossible to fully appreciate until it goes away.

As well as hesitation, surging, and just garbage running in general, I was getting lots of extra vibration through the footpegs, when the fuel pressure regulator was taking the week off.

It's such a nice feeling to be able to cruise along at 3000 rpm without the engine stumbling over itself, and without the tach needle hunting like a compass in a magnet store.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts