StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently acquired a k&n air filter, from a crashed bike..............

question is this.....does the k&n filter require the same rubber gasket around it as the stock filter, when installing:confused:

thanks!!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
recently acquired a k&n air filter, from a crashed bike..............

question is this.....does the k&n filter require the same rubber gasket around it as the stock filter, when installing:confused:

thanks!!
No. The edge is of a material and thickness to fit directly and seal.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I prefer stock filters over the K&N because:
- They flow just as much (the limiting factor is the valvetrain, not the filter).
- They don't let large dirt particles through.
- You don't have to oil them every couple of weeks to maintain the filtration.
- The stock filters are cheaper when you factor in the cleaning and oil (which you really must do very often to maintain proper filtration).
- Any claims of HP gain (on a stock engine) due to an air filter are bogus.

I used to run a K&N on my racecar becasue of the location of my air intake and the fact that k&n filters work even when wet (their only advantage). The k&n lets more dirt through though; I used to tear-down my engine yearly, and started seeing cylinder wear after switching to the k&n. The problem went away after re-routing the air-intake and switching back to paper filters.

Since the air filter on the strom is not so easy to get at, I'd much rather use an insert-and-forget paper filter than something that's as high-maintenance as a k&n.

Just saying...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You don't have to oil them every couple of weeks to maintain the filtration.
????? I thought oil was needed only after cleaning.

I think the guys at V Strom Riders International did test and find that the K&N allowed a bit more air flow at wide open throttle & max rpms--not a big deal for me. Otherwise, I fully agree, no benefit. I tried a K&N in my Volvo and found dust in the downstream side of the airbox--never any dust with a paper filter. In cars, many report that excess oil gums up their mass airflow sensor, and the car runs poorly until the MAF gets cleaned.

By the way, HiFlo has air filters for our bikes that are similar to OEM but cheaper. They list early and late versions, with the late version $4 more for the same filter but including a gasket.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
????? I thought oil was needed only after cleaning.
It is. I've had a K&N on my V-Strom for four years. Cleaned twice, oiled twice (how does that qualify as high maintenance?), not a speck of dust downstream of the filter. I don't ride offroad though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is not a concern for you as you don't ride off-road, but if the bike were dropped in a stream a paper element will prevent huge mounts of water being sucked into the motor. Gauze, well,... it'd be ugly.

A heavily pleated paper filter will pass plenty of air and will only become a deterrant when dirt clogs it. An oil moist gauze might pass moreair in comparison than paper but will also pass more fine dust once the oil film is dirt saturated.
IMO, dave

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
K&N is so overrated!!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it, and all of the oil and cleaning kits, for free:fineprint:...............otherwise, I would have never bought one.

thought I would try it out and see for myself if it makes a differance.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Or not

This is not a concern for you as you don't ride off-road, but if the bike were dropped in a stream a paper element will prevent huge mounts of water being sucked into the motor. Gauze, well,... it'd be ugly.

A heavily pleated paper filter will pass plenty of air and will only become a deterrant when dirt clogs it. An oil moist gauze might pass moreair in comparison than paper but will also pass more fine dust once the oil film is dirt saturated.
IMO, dave
I'd guess that a paper element would soak up the water (that's what paper does) and prevent any air from getting to the engine, giving you the choice of waiting for it to dry, or riding without a filter. And the oiled filters generally filter BETTER after they have a layer of dust, since the fine particles have a tougher time finding a pathway through, although the flow tends to fall off proportionate to depth loading. I'm guessing the trick with cleanable filters (like the K&N) is to clean them without getting dirt on the inside of the element, then getting a uniform layer of oil (not too heavy, not too light). An OEM filter (assuming it has a gasket on it) is pretty fool-proof, by comparison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts